• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't think I've ever seen the fanbase against our HC coach this much (Rivera Poll)

davos

Sinking!!!  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Ron Rivera gone?

• Yes
    • No

With the hand he was dealt this year through a variety of circumstances: the Hardy debacle, unfilled personnel losses, injuries, CJ disappearance, regression of QB play (regardless of your excuse for it)...Ron Rivera deserves another year to right the ship.

And here's the best part: no matter how loudly the screamin' Mimi's on this board want him gone...

He's gonna get it.

Until Gettleman comes out and says the reason he didn't focus much on the OL last offseason was because Rivera assured him that Chandler and Bell were progressing as desired and could get the job done. Rivera believed in them, and he took Rivera at his word when he told him he didn't think the OL would be an issue for this one season. "Well, that didn't end up being the case."

Until Gettleman comes out and says the reason he didn't focus much on the OL this offseason was because Rivera assured him that Chandler and Bell were progressing as desired and could get the job done. Rivera believed in them, and he took Rivera at his word when he told him he didn't think the OL would be an issue for this one season. "Well, that didn't end up being the case."

It's a chain of command from my perspective.  Rivera entrusted that Matsko and Brown evaluated the guys we had and their potential correctly.  In return, Rivera and his staff are trusted by DG to do their jobs.   

It clearly is a sign (one of many) of their ineptitude to properly evaluate players and their respective abilities.  I'm speaking regardless of the OT market and draft possibilities, just about who we had and what the staff thought they'd bring.  

If Garry Williams wasn't IR'd, I'd like to think he would be starting over Bell or Chandler but with this staff, I doubt it.

Until Gettleman comes out and says the reason he didn't focus much on the OL this offseason was because Rivera assured him that Chandler and Bell were progressing as desired and could get the job done. Rivera believed in them, and he took Rivera at his word when he told him he didn't think the OL would be an issue for this one season. "Well, that didn't end up being the case."

Do you know how Gettleman made his bones in the NFL ???

As a scout.

If you think the guy doesn't have an eye for talent, you are deluding yourself. He knew exactly what he had.

The reason Gettleman didn't address the offensive line is because there really wasn't anyone available in free agency with the money the Panthers had available. And the players available in the draft were clear reaches...and we had a glaring need at receiver.

Gettleman knew full well he was handing Rivera less than a loaded deck coming into the season. He basically said it out loud for all to hear.

Add up the personnel losses Gettleman was unable to address, the injuries that have hit nearly everywhere, the Hardy debacle, the fact that CJ basically decided he would rather count money than play and the regression of Cam Newton and you will start to realize why Gettleman is not going to bail on Ron Rivera a year after going 12 and 4.

As a scout.

If you think the guy doesn't have an eye for talent, you are deluding yourself. He knew exactly what he had.

The reason Gettleman didn't address the offensive line is because there really wasn't anyone available in free agency with the money the Panthers had available. And the players available in the draft were clear reaches...and we had a glaring need at receiver.

Gettleman knew full well he was handing Rivera less than a loaded deck coming into the season. He basically said it out loud for all to hear.

Add up the personnel losses Gettleman was unable to address, the injuries that have hit nearly everywhere, the Hardy debacle, the fact that CJ basically decided he would rather count money than play and the regression of Cam Newton and you will start to realize why Gettleman is not going to bail on Ron Rivera a year after going 12 and 4.

A good evaluator (which DG could very well be and is proven in many regards) should be able to separate talent evaluation from coaching evaluation.  The coaching is hurting the team aside from the talent and that shouldn't be a crutch to keep a guy when he obviously isn't cutting the mustard.     

I know this is tough, but separate opinion from fact.

It is your opinion that Ron Rivera's coaching is hurting the team. That is opinion, not fact.

Here is a fact: Rivera coached the Panthers to a 12 and 4 record last season. That's pretty tough to do if you are actually the village idiot.

You can disagree with Rivera's decisions, but that doesn't mean you are right, it just means you disagree.

With the multitude of problems the Panthers have faced this season, firing Rivera would not only be unfair, it would be silly...

Unless some behind the scenes firestorm occurs, it is not going to happen. But here's what IS going to happen: a new OC and probably a new QB coach will be brought in...I don't think Ron had much choice in the decision to hire Shula, frankly. I think he played the good soldier and went with the organizational decision to go "all in" with the "continuity" Shula was going to offer...that's dead in the water at this point...some really, really tough decisions are in the offing...

As a scout.

If you think the guy doesn't have an eye for talent, you are deluding yourself. He knew exactly what he had.

The reason Gettleman didn't address the offensive line is because there really wasn't anyone available in free agency with the money the Panthers had available. And the players available in the draft were clear reaches...and we had a glaring need at receiver.

Gettleman knew full well he was handing Rivera less than a loaded deck coming into the season. He basically said it out loud for all to hear.

And even if all of that is true, if Rivera got canned, Gettleman would still say something like Rivera told him he could make the OL work and that didn't end up happening.

People hear others claiming they can do things everyone knows they won't be able to all the time. Sometimes they are allowed to fail, especially if your plans don't necessarily include them. Rivera has never wavered in his support for the OL and still defends it to this day. I don't believe he's just covering for the FO.

I think he's saying exactly the same things Gettleman has always heard. Whether or not Gettleman thought differently, if Rivera was confident the OL wouldn't be a problem, Gettleman didn't have to overrule him. Let him prove it. He didn't.

Completely plausible.

I still think Gettleman was negligent in protecting Cam, but the fact the Rivera's stubborn stance on the OL hasn't changed from before the season to now, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

...Here is a fact: Rivera coached the Panthers to a 12 and 4 record last season. That's pretty tough to do if you are actually the village idiot.

You can disagree with Rivera's decisions, but that doesn't mean you are right, it just means you disagree.

WRONG.

"Riverboat Ron" coached them to 11-1 last season. "moRon" coached them 1-3 last season, and moRon is back. That's Rivera's default setting, and it sucks.

Gettleman does not have to get up in front of reporters and answer question several times a week. Rivera does.

Do you actually think Gettleman didn't realize what the Panthers had at OL going into the season?

It is ludicrous.

It his is job to know. Sure he takes input from coaches, but ultimately he is the one responsible for stocking the cupboard. This season, he didn't have any money to stock the cupboard. It just wasn't there.

What was Rivera supposed to say??? " Well, I really don't like the hand I am being dealt by my GM, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it." ???

Running and coaching an NFL franchise is not as easy as playing smart guy on an internet message board.

I think Gettleman's thoughts on the OL were simply this: I have a veteran QB. He is entering his 4th full season as a starter. If there is anyone I can count on to pull some extra weight and take a little pressure off a part of the roster we just can't address, my franchise QB is the guy to do it.

It hasn't just hasn't worked out that way.

Gettleman does not have to get up in front of reporters and answer question several times a week. Rivera does.

Do you actually think Gettleman didn't realize what the Panthers had at OL going into the season?

It is ludicrous.

It his is job to know. Sure he takes input from coaches, but ultimately he is the one responsible for stocking the cupboard. This season, he didn't have any money to stock the cupboard. It just wasn't there.

What was Rivera supposed to say??? " Well, I really don't like the hand I am being dealt by my GM, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it." ???

Running and coaching an NFL franchise is not as easy as playing smart guy on an internet message board.

I think Gettleman's thoughts on the OL were simply this: I have a veteran QB. He is entering his 4th full season as a starter. If there is anyone I can count on to pull some extra weight and take a little pressure off a part of the roster we just can't address, my franchise QB is the guy to do it.

It hasn't just hasn't worked out that way.

I know how the game is played. Doesn't change squat. Once Rivera gets up in front of the cameras and opens his mouth, he's accountable for everything he says, regardless of "how the game is played."

He said the OL is fine and would be fine. It hasn't been. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on that from anyone with a clue about anything just because "the game is played" a certain way. 

The OL will always be more important than the QB behind it. Anyone who doesn't understand that by now doesn't understand football. Put Peyton Manning behind this Panthers OL and he'd be having another neck surgery by now.

Seifert was way worse.

In his final year, the Panthers were last in offense and defense, and he cut the starting QB going into training camp.

Also the OPs memory of Fox's last year is, uh, a little inaccurate. 

Yep got rid of Steve Buerlien,who had heart,for a lame ass Jeff Lewis,I'll never forgive Seifert for that!

So you voted no?

LOL, just saw this.

Sorry if I sounded like a Jackass in some of my responses to you. Being outnumbered 9 to 1 put me on the defensive.

Having read through this thread again, you seem like a fair, level headed person I just happen to disagree with. And that's OK.

Archived