• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't think I've ever seen the fanbase against our HC coach this much (Rivera Poll)

davos

Sinking!!!  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Ron Rivera gone?

• Yes
    • No

Gettleman's building this thing for the long haul.

Considering how terrible the offense has been the several weeks, the defense has held together fairly well...even in the loss to Philly.

You give Rivera a couple of more pieces on that side of the football...and the Panthers will become very, very good again.

Defensive coaches of the caliber of Rivera don't grow on trees.

The moves this off season will be in replacing Shula and probably Dorsey as well. I am telling you...this is going to be an interesting off season...

Replacing Shula, and Dorsey? Rivera signed off on those moves, he picked Shula for the job. He's the head coach. Can't help but notice how you referred to Rivera as a "defensive coach", and that's the problem, it's his "head coaching" abilities that are in question.

If Rivera is going to succeed here, or anywhere for that matter as a head coach, he has to take ownership of the entire team, and get more involved. He took the job, and drafted a QB #1 overall, and so far him and his staff have shown very little ability at developing a QB.

Rivera's gameday inconsistency is also a HUGE liability right now. He still doesn't get "it". He's still making the same poor decisions, questionable challenges, poor clock management, and playing not to lose when he's already learned his lesson about that countless times.

I don't know if the COTY award combined with the extension went to his head, but his attitude so far this year is concerning. Last year he admitted his faults, and corrected them, this year he only wants to blame the players, even though we are routinely being outcoached.

Replacing Shula, and Dorsey? Rivera signed off on those moves, he picked Shula for the job. He's the head coach. Can't help but notice how you referred to Rivera as a "defensive coach", and that's the problem, it's his "head coaching" abilities that are in question.

If Rivera is going to succeed here, or anywhere for that matter as a head coach, he has to take ownership of the entire team, and get more involved. He took the job, and drafted a QB #1 overall, and so far him and his staff have shown very little ability at developing a QB.

Rivera's gameday inconsistency is also a HUGE liability right now. He still doesn't get "it". He's still making the same poor decisions, questionable challenges, poor clock management, and playing not to lose when he's already learned his lesson about that countless times.

I don't know if the COTY award combined with the extension went to his head, but his attitude so far this year is concerning. Last year he admitted his faults, and corrected them, this year he only wants to blame the players, even though we are routinely being outcoached.

That's the most frustrating thing.  He creates this divide of who is able to take responsibility and it seems it can only fall on players and execution.  The scheming, strategy, and in-game management should never be of concern and is perfect in his eyes.  

That's the most frustrating thing.  He creates this divide of who is able to take responsibility and it seems it can only fall on players and execution.  The scheming, strategy, and in-game management should never be of concern and is perfect in his eyes.  

Exactly.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure yet if he should be fired. Part of me is curious to see how the rest of the season will play out. But my concern, as it was last year when we extended him, is if he does show improvement, will he revert back to his old ways yet again like this year?

I don't know. Looking back, it's depressing how we had the opportunity to hire some of these other head coaches seeing consistent success.

I'm not talking win percentage.  I'm looking at it seasonally.

He's only managed one winning year.  At this point, 75% of his Panthers coaching career has been losing seasons.

I'd have to look it up (Seifert might be worse) but any way you slice it, that's pretty bad.

Seifert was worse and Capers had a 25% win rate with a worse record.

Rivera is bad but he is still not our worst coach so far.

The bottom line is that Rivera doesn't trust the offense.  He clearly isn't sold on the fact that they can make a play when they need to.  IMO, that's why he has reverted to conservative Ron.  And unfortunately, he has reason not to trust them.  Despite the fact the offense was moving the ball well, there have been way too many instances of this offense imploding at the absolute worst possible time.  Now, part of the problem is coaching, but player execution is also a huge factor.  Either way, I think Rivera had more confidence in Gano making a 46 yard field goal than the offense not screwing up and blowing a chance to even attempt it. 

Thus you have root cause.

The problem is Ron is supposed to be the overall head coach, not just involved in the defense and a casual observer of the offense.

He has had OTAs.  He has had Training Camp.  He has had every bloody practice in the regular season to find at least 1-2 plays this offense and the players he selected to be on it, can execute.

If he has not done that from February to November, why is he still the Coach of this team?  Why has he done nothing about it?

I also get tired of his oline combination excuse.  The fact is it would not matter what combination he has.  They all suck IMHO however, this is the team he and his talented coaching sfaff opted to put on the field courtesy of the supply from the GM.  If he didn't like what he saw, he should have done somehting about it.

something else, that helmet to helmet Newton took, he should have come out of the game right there.  He let him stay in.  I don't want to hear about 'protocols', no one could take that hit and not be affected by it and yet, he was not even allowed out for even a series.

Seifert was worse and Capers had a 25% win rate with a worse record.

Rivera is bad but he is still not our worst coach so far.

Yeah Seifert was 0% haha but we were a half game or so out of the playoffs his first two years.  When you go 1-15 your 3rd year, the coach has gotta go.   

But I still think if you're strictly looking at them as head coaches, Rivera is the worst.  

Yeah Seifert was 0% haha but we were a half game or so out of the playoffs his first two years.  When you go 1-15 your 3rd year, the coach has gotta go.   

But I still think if you're strictly looking at them as head coaches, Rivera is the worst.  

Let's just agree they all tie for last except Fox

Rivera's tenure here mirrors that of Shula as HC of Bama:

Rivera as HC of CAR

6-10

7-9

12-4

7-8-1 best case scenario

Shula as HC of Bama (2003-06)

4-9

6-6

10-2

6-6

(note: after the 10-2 season, Bama doubled Shula's annual salary and extended his contract from 5 years to 6 years. When Bama fired him after 4 years, Bama had to pay him the millions left on his contract)

Are you forgetting that by all accounts it was Cam Newton who was instrumental in Shula being prompted to OC ??? From everything I have heard and read, Newton was delighted with the promotion...if he didn't downright request it.

Ron Rivera has not thrown any players under the bus and he hasn't blamed any losses on individual players...this is just typical butt-hurt fan talk...see the ludicrous reaction to Shula's comments on Newton when Shula was actually defending Newton and not bashing him.

But all the furor really doesn't matter...the cutting of Avant is proof that Gettleman has Rivera's back....even if ultimately cutting Avant calls into question one of Gettleman's off-season signings.

Get used to it. Rivera gets next year. But you can take one thing to the bank: if Shula does get canned (and he probably will) the hiring of the next OC will not be determined based on who Cam Newton is "comfortable with".

Let's just agree they all tie for last except Fox

Not to defend Capers, but as long as all he had to do was coach, he was decent.

When Polian left and Capers got his way in personnel decisions, it all went to hell in a handbasket (and I'm not just talking about Sean Gilbert).

If there's any historical lesson to be gained from our past coaches, it's that the GM should be extremely careful about listening to their input on personnel matters.

Are you forgetting that by all accounts it was Cam Newton who was instrumental in Shula being prompted to OC ??? From everything I have heard and read, Newton was delighted with the promotion...if he didn't downright request it.

Ron Rivera has not thrown any players under the bus and he hasn't blamed any losses on individual players...this is just typical butt-hurt fan talk...see the ludicrous reaction to Shula's comments on Newton when Shula was actually defending Newton and not bashing him.

But all the furor really doesn't matter...the cutting of Avant is proof that Gettleman has Rivera's back....even if ultimately cutting Avant calls into question one of Gettleman's off-season signings.

Get used to it. Rivera gets next year. But you can take one thing to the bank: if Shula does get canned (and he probably will) the hiring of the next OC will not be determined based on who Cam Newton is "comfortable with".

You expected Newton to come out and say that Shula sucks, and they should hire someone else?

It wasn't Newton that hired Shula to be his quarterbacks coach in the first place, or Ken Dorsey for that matter.

I'm literally laughing over here at how much of a staunch Ron Rivera supporter you are now.

Archived