• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barnidge the permanent starter?

Mr. Scot

David Scott thinks so: Camp revelations

TE GARY BARNIDGE: He appears to have wrested the starting job from Jeff King. Barnidge, in his second season, gives the Panthers a down-field threat and has excellent hands. He needs to keep working on his blocking skills.

Decent article. Liked the bit at the end about rookies needing to watch out for the annual rough tricks from the vets.

If there's an odd man out, it's likely Dante Rosario, and there's been plenty of speculation about using him as trade bait.
I've read somewhere that Rosario had trouble remembering routes or something to that effect but oddly enough, I can't remember where I saw that.

Yes, watching Hayden being pushed around like a ragdoll was pretty bad but so was watching Rosario getting pushed away by a cornerback that was at least 50 pounds lighter than him (I'm talking about the cornerback that was involved in the 1st Goodson fumble).

I've read somewhere that Rosario had trouble remembering routes or something to that effect but oddly enough, I can't remember where I saw that.

Yes, watching Hayden being pushed around like a ragdoll was pretty bad but so was watching Rosario getting pushed away by a cornerback that was at least 50 pounds lighter than him (I'm talking about the cornerback that was involved in the 1st Goodson fumble).

Valid.

Speculation was that once Steve Smith returned and less focus was on him, Rosario started tailing off, not finishing routes or working as hard as he could to get open. Local beat guys also said the fact he waited late to get a medical procedure done when he could have had it done sooner and been more active in OTAs might not have endeared him to the coaches.

IIRC from the NYG game King was pretty much on the field the whole game which kind of made me go WTF? But yeah I though it was very interesting that Barnidge started over Rosario.

The Panthers loooove their two tight end sets, and that's not likely to change.

The difference is that in Panther history under Fox, the "starter" tight end (the guy who's on the field when there's only one TE in the alignment) has generally been the best blocking guy. This season it could be the best receiver instead.

If so, it's pretty clear that the speculation Fox might be moving toward a more offense-centric mindset this season may have some weight.

Gantt also weighs in (from the article about Dante Wesley)...

EXTRA POINTS — Second-year tight end Gary Barnidge is still soft-pedaling the idea, but it seems clear he's making the starting job his own. He initially called his promotion part of a rotation, but he is still with the starters and showing no signs of giving the job back to incumbent Jeff King.

Valid.

Speculation was that once Steve Smith returned and less focus was on him, Rosario started tailing off, not finishing routes or working as hard as he could to get open. Local beat guys also said the fact he waited late to get a medical procedure done when he could have had it done sooner and been more active in OTAs might not have endeared him to the coaches.

The Panthers loooove their two tight end sets, and that's not likely to change.

The difference is that in Panther history under Fox, the "starter" tight end (the guy who's on the field when there's only one TE in the alignment) has generally been the best blocking guy. This season it could be the best receiver instead.

If so, it's pretty clear that the speculation Fox might be moving toward a more offense-centric mindset this season may have some weight.

i think you are right on target here. i can see that things are changing. they have to. as far as rosario losing looks after smitty got back last year and comparing it with barnidge this year....barnidge has been getting the looks and targets this year in workouts whether smith was on the field or not.

I thought he'd have taken the job from King midway through last year....guess he needed a full year under his belt

(Which annoyed the King backers)

who, barnidge taking the job from king. not sure that he could have done it last year with his two targets and zero catches late in the year.

Archived