• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How was Norwell not drafted?

Jeremy Igo

I'll never forget the story Ron told after the draft. Ron and Marty were watching film on some other D3 project and happened to see Amini block some D3 d-lineman. Amini blocked him all the way out of bounds. That sold Rivurney on Amini.

Yup, I remember that.

And we left Cordy Glenn sitting there from Georgia.....you know, a legit program.

I'll never forget the story Ron told after the draft. Ron and Marty were watching film on some other D3 project and happened to see Amini block some D3 d-lineman. Amini blocked him all the way out of bounds. That sold Rivurney on Amini.

To be fair, he was projected as a late first/early second rounder if I remember correctly, so we weren't the only team who had him on our radar.

But yeah, blocking D3 players shouldn't be our means of evaluation.

See, this is why scouts (which Hurney wasn't) absolutely hate when coaches get involved in the scouting process.

Heard an interview with a guy who'd been a longtime, successful NFL scout.  He said the thing about coaches is that they have a tendency to see one highlight reel and fall in love with a player.  Scouts are trained to look at the full body of work, but a coach sees one big play and says "I gotta have that guy."

(this is one of the reasons I'm annoyed that Gettleman gave Rivera so much input into the roster process)

See, this is why scouts (which Hurney wasn't) absolutely hate when coaches get involved in the scouting process.

Heard an interview with a guy who'd been a longtime, successful NFL scout.  He said the thing about coaches is that they have a tendency to see one highlight reel and fall in love with a player.  Scouts are trained to look at the full body of work, but a coach sees one big play and says "I gotta have that guy."

(this is one of the reasons I'm annoyed that Gettleman gave Rivera so much input into the roster process)

Letting him dig his own grave?

FWIW

I have a brother-in-law who is an Ohio State alum and he lives in Columbus.  He attends all the games, knows not only the entire roster, but players in high school they have signed.  In May, when I asked him about Philly Brown and Norwell, he knew Brown very well, said that he came on as a leader as a senior, had some key plays etc.  He knew every lineman on the roster, but struggled to tell me anything about Norwell.  I thought, "That can't be good."  Then I realized (upon ponderous reflection) that he was telling me the weaknesses of the other players.  So I called him back (my plan has unlimited minutes) and asked him if that was the reason he could not think of anything about Norwell.  He said, "You know, that may be it.  He never jumps, never holds, never misses a block.  He is just a boring player, I guess (laughing)."  At that time I figured he was fodder so we talked about the injury to their QB and never discussed it again.

True story. 

Letting him dig his own grave?

I think it was more of a compromise.

Rivera technically had final say on all personnel decisions for most of 2012 (after Hurney was fired).  Can't help but wonder if Gettleman, rather than just say "my job now" agreed to give Rivera a lot of input.

Mind you, it doesn't really matter how it happened.  Giving Rivera any say was a colossal mistake.

FWIW

I have a brother-in-law who is an Ohio State alum and he lives in Columbus.  He attends all the games, knows not only the entire roster, but players in high school they have signed.  In May, when I asked him about Philly Brown and Norwell, he knew Brown very well, said that he came on as a leader as a senior, had some key plays etc.  He knew every lineman on the roster, but struggled to tell me anything about Norwell.  I thought, "That can't be good."  Then I realized (upon ponderous reflection) that he was telling me the weaknesses of the other players.  So I called him back (my plan has unlimited minutes) and asked him if that was the reason he could not think of anything about Norwell.  He said, "You know, that may be it.  He never jumps, never holds, never misses a block.  He is just a boring player, I guess (laughing)."  At that time I figured he was fodder so we talked about the injury to their QB and never discussed it again.

True story. 

Genuinely cool story B)

I feel we are strong up the middle.  We have 1 stud WR, and need another. 

WR

LT

RB

Free agent to compete for the RT job.  I think we are that close on offense to becoming good.  I wanted to use the word "cusp" here, but decided against it.

I think it was more of a compromise.

Rivera technically had final say on all personnel decisions for most of 2012 (after Hurney was fired). Can't help but wonder if Gettleman, rather than just say "my job now" agreed to give Rivera a lot of input.

Mind you, it doesn't really matter how it happened. Giving Rivera any say was a colossal mistake.

This year, Gettleman needs to treat Rivera like Milton Waddams in Office Spacepost-332-141632801346_thumb.jpg

post-332-141632801346_thumb.jpg

Archived