• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's Blunder - Illustrated

Jeremy Igo

What's that

What it sounds like. In the News Portion of the ScoreMobile sports app, an editor picks the 3 best articles from each of the division teams and, usually written by the beat writers, and usually concerning recaps, injury updates, or coaching rants, and compiles them into a digest. One of the three for the Panthers was a link to this thread, calling it an "Excellent Photoessay."

Not sure if the fact that a message board post made a national news roundup is a ringing endorsement of the quality product made here, or an indictment of our beat writers.

*edit*

Oops. I called it SportsMobile in my original post. It's the ScoreMobile app.

This team sure does make it hard to be a fan of. I've been a fan since the team was announced and have given my heart and soul in support. I have never questioned JR's commitment to building a winning team. But I'm starting to question his competence. I'm hoping he has given Gettlemen free reign to fix this mess.

Major props to Jeremy for this great write up.

This team sure does make it hard to be a fan of. I've been a fan since the team was announced and have given my heart and soul in support. I have never questioned JR's commitment to building a winning team. But I'm starting to question his competence. I'm hoping he has given Gettlemen free reign to fix this mess.

Major props to Jeremy for this great write up.

This image...

8041373.jpg

...tells me that Dave Gettleman has a lot of leeway.

Im as upset about this as anyonw but serious question here, had gano made the field goal and then the defense picked off Matt Ryan to seal the game would anyone be complaining right now?

I get the issues you bring up and feel Rivera was dead wrong but if the decision turned out the other way would we be angry? Because I definitely think we should have, but I'm not sure that would have been the case.

Everyone was complaining about Rivera putting on the brakes before the kick was attempted, so it's not like we're just pulling out 20/20 hindsight.

It was a major error, and sent a horrible message to the offensive players.

Towards the end of his first year or early in the second (I honestly don't remember), I posted a thread about how Rivera's problem as a HC was that he didn't trust his players to execute. It might have been after the heartbreaking Chicago game, when Rivera didn't want to try a long field goal because he didn't want to hurt the delicate psyche of the kicker in case of a miss. Chud was still the OC then, so this problem has spanned both Chud and Shula. It's Ron, plain and simple.  Last year was different out of desperation, but Rivera doesn't have the ability to change his stripes long term.

We will never win anything with him, and the players are going to stop listening to him sooner rather than later. Change at the top is absolutely necessary.

Now who is firing up who here?

Sure it felt like a Fox move to play for the win with a field goal and make the ATL offense ( who hasn't had a great year ) score to win.

Can you switch this around and say that we have a good kicker and Rivera believes in our defense?

I don't like playing safe either but it's like lord of flies in here... I'm more tired of watching the offense that needs a spark of a fight to do their damn jobs....

Archived