• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's Blunder - Illustrated

Jeremy Igo

The coaching style- or lack thereof- is also indicative of the Jerry Richardson brand of football he thinks he can create in Charlotte.

How else do you explain the success of John Fox when he changed his brand of football to fit the roster in Denver? A completely different and happier Dom Capers as the DC with a very successful Green Bay team?

While most teams in the NFL develop an offense and defense that best utilizes the talents of their rosters, the Panthers have decided to do the exact opposite- announce to the world, "This is how we play..." and try to find players who will fit the mold.

In an era where all the rules favor the vertical passing game, the Carolina Panthers have all their money tied up in 2 running backs, play a very inaccurate QB and look for second-hand receivers on the open market.

Despite your post record, as i was reading this, i was nodding in agreement. Then i ran across the obligatory "Cam sucks", cognitive loop, your type remains in and it derailed an otherwise strong argument. This is not the thread for this mindless drivel. Dont bring that bs in here. You all have plenty of other threads for that.

If you think back through the last few seasons, Rivera's coaching alone has cost this team wins...that's plural. And I get that no coach is perfect, but do you really think he gets it?

My only hope after this abysmal season is that RR is sent packing.

Upwards of double digits. I could go back and look but it has to be over 10. That's 2.5 a year when every game is crucial. Fire this clown.

Agree 100% Jeremy.  Could literally feel it suck the life out of the team and fans.  Why not keep driving and if necessary, give Gano a 26yd field goal with no time vs. 46 with an eternity left on the clock.

The HC position is too big for Rivera.  Hence, the confused, deer in the headlights look and bad decisions. 

Even if the field goal was made, it would have left over 90 seconds for the Falcons to get within their own field goal range to win the game. Ron Rivera, when Cam Newton and the offense needed his trust the most, showed them what he really thinks of them.

As dissappointed, angry and upset I was yesterday about the "play not to lose" mentality and coaching tactics from that last drive yesterday, this is a point that needs to be stressed and really needs it's own thread.

Zod is absolutely right... the decision to shut down the offense and go for the FG completely deflated the team and had Gano made that FG, we would have had a 1 point lead, which the Falcons would have taken right away from us.  "But we stopped them on the next drive..." you say... no we didn't... they were just trying to run out the clock.  Had they needed a drive, Rivera had just shot us in the foot and it would have shown on the field if they wanted to drive down and win it.

Pathetic.

perfect description of why Ron Rivera doesn't get it as a head coach

He plays not to lose instead of playing to win. That's Ron Rivera's MO. 

I can't stress enough how similar this game felt in terms of crucial playcalling to that 2012 game in the ATL

Holy AMEN. Rivera is a word I refuse to say out loud.

If your head coach doesn't have your back, you will never succeed. He is stifling Cam and this offense's growth. Find your sack, and TRUST your guys to bring it home. Totally and unbelievably horrible coaching. He is losing this team.

I really felt for our guys - wasnt at the game - watched it on tv -  but after the fight you could clearly see that the intensity and life had come back into the team.

Then stoic ron sucked the life out of it.

Surely JR sees it and will do something about it  - he has to.

I really felt for our guys - wasnt at the game - watched it on tv -  but after the fight you could clearly see that the intensity and life had come back into the team.

Then stoic ron sucked the life out of it.

Surely JR sees it and will do something about it  - he has to.

Don't think JR sees it from behind his Scrooge McDuck style stack of cash and swimming pool of gold coins, but hopefully Gettleman can see it better than he can see his feet.

Jason Avant on the last three plays:

“I’ve been in the league a long time. I know two things. You never want to give a team a chance to win a game, with how much time was left on the clock. And asking a kicker to make a 50-yard field goal with the game on the line is rough sledding,” Avant said.

“If that’s the only option, yes. But if it’s not, you want to get as close as you can and think score and play to score a touchdown. Because I’d rather the team have to score a touchdown to win the game than to have to kick a field goal. It’s just a lot different. It’s a 30-yard difference.”

via Joe Person

Archived