• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's Blunder - Illustrated

Jeremy Igo

I have to tell you, I was struggling on Sunday. As a photographer, my job is to capture emotion and passion as plays are being made. These things were no where to be found for three quarters of football.

Then a funny thing happened..... a fight broke out. Just like last years Rams game, passions were ignited. You want to wake the Panthers up? Literally punch them in the mouth in their own home. From that point on, the game changed entirely.

gallery_1_10_480593.jpg

gallery_1_10_103386.jpg

The defense finally resembled what we have grown to love in Carolina. Plays were being made, emotions ran deep. The Panthers were back, ready to stake a claim once again for the division lead for the second time this season.

gallery_1_10_276990.jpg

Josh Norman, who is as excited as anyone about a fight, felt it. This is why he plays the game. And as he pointed out on our Huddle Podcast (now available on iTunes), this is why you should consider buying a #24 jersey.

gallery_1_10_319804.jpg

The offense was up. Could they match the defensive intensity? I had my doubts. But then a funny thing happened, Cam Newton turned into the 2011 gun slinger we all knew and loved with a touchdown strike to Kelvin Benjamin who made an amazing grab.

gallery_1_10_410694.jpg

The kick coverage team also felt the energy, as Devin Hester was stifled for a modest return. Again, emotion... passion.. you know... FOOTBALL.

gallery_1_10_361572.jpg

After a defensive stop, Philly Brown hauled in an amazing grab for a touchdown and the lead. The story of the day was reading more and more like a game that would be remembers for years to come.

gallery_1_10_243478.jpg

The Panthers rookie wideouts celebrated together, a scene we possibly could see in Carolina for many seasons to come. The future of the passing game ... Thunder and Lightning. 

gallery_1_10_518108.jpg

The defense took over, and managed to limit Matt Ryan and the re-energized Falcons offense to a field goal. While some point to this as a failure, in reality it was a win. The defense put the offense in a position to win the game with plenty of time left on the clock. Considering the offense just had consecutive touchdowns, a knockout punch was surely on the way....

gallery_1_10_121361.jpg

The Panthers continue to move the ball in the passing game. KB makes an amazing grab and gets the Panthers within striking distance....

gallery_1_10_453729.jpg

And then, with the game on the line, and emotions and momentum higher than at any point in the 2014 season, Rivera chooses to shut down the offense and settle for a 46 yard field goal. At that moment, all momentum deflated. The disappointment from the offense, and the defense for that matter, was palatable. Greg Olsen was visibly upset and dumbfounded as he left for the sidelines. The Panthers players wanted to go for the jugular while the Panthers coaches were happy with a slap fight.

The result, a missed field goal.

gallery_1_10_390089.jpg

Even if the field goal was made, it would have left over 90 seconds for the Falcons to get within their own field goal range to win the game. Ron Rivera, when Cam Newton and the offense needed his trust the most, showed them what he really thinks of them.

Which begs the question: If Ron Rivera doesn't believe in the Panthers offense, why should they believe in him?

Ron Rivera and Mike Shula are neutering this team. Yeah we don't have the most talented team, but the players want to play with passion and fire. They want to go for the kill and dominate...but our coaches just want to win a conservative, nice game. That doesn't work in the NFL.

Ron Rivera and Mike Shula are neutering this team. Yeah we don't have the most talented team, but the players want to play with passion and fire. They want to go for the kill and dominate...but our coaches just want to win a conservative, nice game. That doesn't work in the NFL.

They neutered the team a long time ago. That's possibly why Cam said they have to "nut up" during his press conference.

Jeremy what a great way to put this.  I was watching early in the morning.  2am start time for me.   I just couldn't believe that we finally got on a roll and we settled for this crap.

Rivera said.  Make them use their timeouts.   For Christ sake.  1:40 is a lifetime for a pass happy offense.  Get the ball on the 20 and only have to go about 50 yards.   Ingredients for a loss.

I could not figure out.  ONE fugging first down and we are closer to field goal and can run the clock down.  

I have been a supporter of Rivera and maybe he didn't trust Shula but damnit.  Everyone wanted to go for it. 

I guess we'll never learn at least with Rivera.

The coaching style- or lack thereof- is also indicative of the Jerry Richardson brand of football he thinks he can create in Charlotte.

How else do you explain the success of John Fox when he changed his brand of football to fit the roster in Denver? A completely different and happier Dom Capers as the DC with a very successful Green Bay team?

While most teams in the NFL develop an offense and defense that best utilizes the talents of their rosters, the Panthers have decided to do the exact opposite- announce to the world, "This is how we play..." and try to find players who will fit the mold.

In an era where all the rules favor the vertical passing game, the Carolina Panthers have all their money tied up in 2 running backs, play a very inaccurate QB and look for second-hand receivers on the open market.

Great story! This is exactly how I felt watching this whole debacle take place! Put the game in the hands of your franchise player, not a kicker who hasn't hardly tried any from this distance all year!! Oh....but we're not sure if Cam is our future are we? What a great time to find that out Rivera!! But you blew it, just like the Bengals game! Stop all momentum. There was too much time left on the clock anyway...I would have put my trust in a hot Cam Newton to keep moving the ball than my defense with that much time left.

Archived