• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't mind playing for a FG there, but....

teeray

I have no problem just playing for a FG down 2 with 1:30 (or so) left.  In the NFL you should be able to count on your kicker making a FG.

Here is my problem.  I have no issue with first and second down calls.  You don't want to throw a pick while in FG range down by two.  I get all that.  Plus you make Atlanta use their timeouts making a comeback more difficult.

Here is where I have an issue.  They playcall on 3rd down gave us virtually no chance to get a first down.

Why line up tight and run the ball right up the gut on 3rd and 5?  Why not playaction bootleg with a run pass option for Cam.  Get him to the outside.

Maybe that QB draw we used to run.

Or if you want to run the ball up the middle, spread the defense out.  Make them cover the guys in the slot and unclog the LOS.

Going with a tight formation and running the ball up the middle has very little chance of succeeding.

If you bootleg Cam WORST case scenario he takes a sack and instead of 44 yard field goal you have a 49 yard field goal.  That is WORST case scenario.  Gano has plenty of leg to make 49 yard FG so there wouldn't be much of a difference.

If you get the first down, you can run out the clock and have an easier FG with no time on the clock.  If you don't nothing ventured nothing gained.  They still have to use a timeout and it is same result as if you ran it up the middle.

The problem isn't playing for a FG.  I have no problem with that.  My problem is, if you are playing for a FG,  then why the playcalling that doesn't even have a chance at a 1st down and then kick the FG with no time left.

I just don't get it.  This is a coaching staff and team that is playing and coaching scared right now.  They are hoping that other people gift them a win.  You have to go out there and take it in the NFL.

/rant

That's what I'm saying. At least call a play that has a chance to get a first down. They literally ran straight up the middle like we were running a victory formation run. Absolutely bullsh*t. The same sackless coaches against the Bengals too. Settling for the field goal instead of trying to win the game on 4th and 1. I'm tired of this scared bunch of b*tches. Get us a coaching staff with some balls.

Yea we've already said this in all the other threads and this is part of the issue many of us have always had with our OC...not sure why you're JUST NOW seeing the issue.

But hey them PPD and stuff.

You must be so proud.  You stuck it to me!!

Different year and different results.

Last year we were much more efficient.  I actually base my opinions on facts and statistics, and my opinions may change as facts and statistics change.

I think they were just trying to line the ball up in the position that gave Gano the best shot.  I have seen that a 100 times by a hundred different coaches.  But usually with less than 30 seconds left on the clock.  With 1 and a half minutes left, any competent NFL qb has a good shot at moving the ball into fg position. 

That is great if we can run the clock down to zero.  I wouldn't have had a problem with it in the same position but being able to run clock to zero.

But in that situation and time and score you would like to do something that at last gives you a chance at a 1st down and put the game away with no time on the clock.

An NFL kicker makes that kick at least 90% of the time. The playcalling was certainly conservative, but understandable considering the time and field position.

Cam had nearly had a ball picked a couple of plays earlier and had two picks on the day. Newton also has a tendency to take crazy, unnecessary sacks...a sack in that situation and you are suddenly out of field goal range.

I am not even pissed at this point. The season is over anyway. We stunk offensively even against one of the worst defenses in the NFL. This team is not going anywhere without a major offensive overhaul.

An NFL kicker makes that kick at least 90% of the time. The playcalling was certainly conservative, but understandable considering the time and field position.

Cam had nearly had a ball picked a couple of plays earlier and had two picks on the day. Newton also has a tendency to take crazy, unnecessary sacks...a sack in that situation and you are suddenly out of field goal range.

I am not even pissed at this point. The season is over anyway. We stunk offensively even against one of the worst defenses in the NFL. This team is not going anywhere without a major offensive overhaul.

Guess you didn't read op.

Which suggestion did I put up there for us to pass?  The only thing close was a bootleg, either naked or with run pass option.

It is about doing something to give yourself a chance at a first down.  Not taking unnecessary risks or deep drops and passing across the middle

Archived