• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton on those last few play calls....

Jeremy Igo

I have a question. Why is it that every time hell freezes over and we accidentally score at TD, the defense goes right back on the field and gives up points? This is why I believe our defense is EXTREMELY overrated. When opposing offenses need to score, they can score at-will against the Panthers defense. What is the point of Rivera if his defense is not leading the way?

What is the purpose of drafting defense, after defense, and dumping resource after resource into it, if it can't get off the field when our struggling offense manages not to trip over themselves as they stumble into the end-zone?

Cam has as little to complain about as just about anyone on this team. If anybody should be upset, it's the defense that kept us in striking distance all day. If Cam hadn't played horrible for the first three quarters it wouldn't have come down to the final drive. I'm all for blaming the coaching staff for those STUPID calls on the final drive, but Cam could have iced this game with a half decent first three quarters.

The reality of the situation is that Cam & the offense made up for their mistakes by almost winning us the game in the end. That didn't happen because of the, as you admitted, STUPID playcalls. So when do the coaches make up for their mistakes? There have been more then I care to remember this season & today was a perfect oppurtunity. Cam played a part in the lost as did many other offensive players & coaches, but I believe with better coaches this SAME team would be sitting atop the NFCS with at least a 2 game cushion.

The reality of the situation is that Cam & the offense made up for their mistakes by almost winning us the game in the end. That didn't happen because of the, as you admitted, STUPID playcalls. So when do the coaches make up for their mistakes? There have been more then I care to remember this season & today was a perfect oppurtunity. Cam played a part in the lost as did many other offensive players & coaches, but I believe with better coaches this SAME team would be sitting atop the NFCS with at least a 2 game cushion.

Cam should take blame for his early play...

But he should also get credit for fighting out of the funk and putting us in position to win this game.

He showed heart today and didn't give up when he was playing bad earlier.

i would just like you to revert back toppl the ending of my last statement.

Don't talk with emotions talk with knowledge.

I said he was out of his depth. That it was apparent in 2012. 2013 was an outlier. The man has been coaching this way in 2011, 2012, the first 4 games in 2013 before his job was hanging by a thread, and 2014. He lacks the awareness to call the play that will win games. Instead he plays ultra-conservative at the worst time.

And spare me with the talk from knowledge quip. You're just being an ass for no reason. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

But he should also get credit for fighting out of the funk and putting us in position to win this game.

Exactly. Some people on this board thinks Cam is getting a pass for his flaws on here. No, A lot of us just see that the coaching is a bigger issue. Cam hasn't hit his ceiling & these coaches have plateaued his progression this season. The o-line too but they did an awesome job today. The coaches? Not so much.

It wasn't just the "play not to lose" mentality at the end either...

How many 20+ yd passes did we attempt on 3rd and less than 5 today? A lot... I know everyone has ragged on Shula, and rightfully so but today was some of the worst, most egregious examples of bad play calling I can ever remember.

.... and keeps happening game after game. It's awful.

How many 20+ yd passes did we attempt on 3rd and less than 5 today? A lot... I know everyone has ragged on Shula, and rightfully so but today was some of the worst, most egregious examples of bad play calling I can ever remember.

I said the same thing....

How many 3rd and short perfect passes down field did they want from Cam...

No safe short passes forcing the WR to make a play at all.

Who gets blame for the missed assignment on the very first offensive play of the game? 

Not good if your QB has to call a timeout after the very first play to try to clear his head after taking a straight line unblocked shot.

The OC does not tell the QB where to throw the football.

It doesn't work that way.

Every play has a sequence of progressions the QB is supposed to go through, based sometimes on design, sometimes on what the defense does.

Ultimately, Cam Newton decides where to throw the ball.

The OC does not tell the QB where to throw the football.

It doesn't work that way.

Every play has a sequence of progressions the QB is supposed to go through, based sometimes on design, sometimes on what the defense does.

Ultimately, Cam Newton decides where to throw the ball.

You are correct. However when the only routes available are long ones, the QB doesn't have much choice.

I'm still not seeing any hot routes or short routes for Cam to hit in situations like this AND you're missing the MUCH bigger picture...

Why the fug are we calling passing plays on 3rd and 3 over and over?

Who gets blame for the missed assignment on the very first offensive play of the game?

Not good if your QB has to call a timeout after the very first play to try to clear his head after taking a straight line unblocked shot.

Cam no matter what had a bad 1st half but he pulled himself out of a funk even with stupid play calling and a lack of a supporting cast in the 2nd. And should get credit for it.

You are correct. However when the only routes available are long ones, the QB doesn't have much choice.

I'm still not seeing any hot routes or short routes for Cam to hit in situations like this AND you're missing the MUCH bigger picture...

Why the fug are we calling passing plays on 3rd and 3 over and over?

In the NFL, and even generally in college, 3rd and 3 is a passing down.

It has to be viewed on a play by play basis, but there is almost always an underneath pattern available if the QB chooses it.

There was a pretty good thread on the 4th and 1 call last week.

Archived