• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Undrafted QB turning heads at Panthers camp

Rod Butsecks

My point was more that Moore and McCown could both be gone after this season. If that would happen then the Panthers would be left with no one any experience in the system. I'm sure they would sign a backup with some experience but they wouldn't have it within the Panthers system. It could be that Moore is the one cut.

But I do agree with you that I think it would be very unlikely. The best move would be to keep McCown and Moore although the possibility of Cantwell making the roster isn't as far fetched as it may appear on the surface.

My point was more that Moore and McCown could both be gone after this season. If that would happen then the Panthers would be left with no one any experience in the system. I'm sure they would sign a backup with some experience but they wouldn't have it within the Panthers system. It could be that Moore is the one cut.

But I do agree with you that I think it would be very unlikely. The best move would be to keep McCown and Moore although the possibility of Cantwell making the roster isn't as far fetched as it may appear on the surface.

Putting him on the practice squad gets him the system experience without losing Moore or McCown.

The only way I see him making the roster is if the Panthers think he's too valuable to risk someone else snagging him from PS. I don't think anyone is scouting him that heavily.

Frankly, experience is probably overrated for our backup QB. We generally stock that position with players that are extremely ill-suited to running the team anyway. Apparently the Fox system also makes the assumption that the starting QB will never get injured or will eventually decline in playing ability.

I suspect if Jake was knocked out for the season, we'd lure a big name veteran QB that the coaching staff thinks they trust. Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, Brad Johnson.....

Because of one preseason game against a third-string defense?

The truth of the matter is he's had a less than impressive camp. I'm not saying he won't develop into something, but he's not an upgrade over Moore or McCown right now.

No, but Cantwell actually has some potential...I really doubt Mcown gets any better than he is, and Matt Moore will never be good enough to start in the NFL. Maybe I'm being a downer, but I feel pretty strongly about our QB situation.

Frankly, experience is probably overrated for our backup QB. We generally stock that position with players that are extremely ill-suited to running the team anyway. Apparently the Fox system also makes the assumption that the starting QB will never get injured or will eventually decline in playing ability.

I suspect if Jake was knocked out for the season, we'd lure a big name veteran QB that the coaching staff thinks they trust. Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, Brad Johnson.....

Fox and Hurney reportedly like McCown a lot. They made repeated attempts to get him in prior seasons before finally landing him. And they were willing to go with Moore for regular season starts a few years back, something Fox is often loathe to do with rookies in skill positions.

As far as style, McCown and Moore are essentially Delhomme II and Delhomme III, so there wouldn't be a need to alter the system if one of them were inserted into the lineup.

Just trying to figure out under what basis does your crystal ball predict that Moore "will never be good enough to start in the NFL."?

I liked what I saw from Cantwell overall (the throw to the CB's numbers that was almost picked off didn't sit well though), but not enough to keep him over either of the other two yet. That's a big yet, to be honest... by the end of TC and preseason, we may all be singing a different tune. Silly to speculate at this point what's best for the team, until we get to see all that each player has to offer.

They were pretty much forced to go with Moore. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Moore but I saw pretty much nothing that said to me "future NFL starter." Frankly, if he isn't able to easily beat out McCown for our backup job, I think that will say a lot about his abilities.

Just trying to figure out under what basis does your crystal ball predict that Moore "will never be good enough to start in the NFL."?

It's my own personal prediction, if you don't agree then that's fine. From what I've seen from him he's been disappointing, and he doesn't have much potential. I could end up being completely wrong however, and I hope I am.

I liked what I saw from Cantwell overall (the throw to the CB's numbers that was almost picked off didn't sit well though), but not enough to keep him over either of the other two yet. That's a big yet, to be honest... by the end of TC and preseason, we may all be singing a different tune. Silly to speculate at this point what's best for the team, until we get to see all that each player has to offer.

Agreed.

My original point was just that I prefer Cantwell over the other two, mainly because of his arm strength and potential.

Archived