• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Undrafted QB turning heads at Panthers camp

Rod Butsecks

(By Charles Chandler, [email protected]) From the beginning of training camp, Hunter Cantwell has looked like more than just a No. 4 quarterback being kept around by the Carolina Panthers merely to have an extra throwing arm at practice. p/ At 6-4, 236, he's the largest quarterback on the roster and has shown both good arm strength and a savvy for delivering the football.p/ He's been impressive at times in practice and took advantage of his first exhibition opportunity Monday night against the New York Giants, leading the Panthers on a late scoring drive in a 24-17 loss.p/ I think he's taken to our system pretty well and made some good throws under pressure the other night, said coach John Fox. Barring injuries or other unexpected developments, Cantwell isn't expected to make the Panthers' 53-man regular-season roster since Jake Delhomme, Josh McCown and Matt Moore appear to have the top three spots secured.p/ But Cantwell, an undrafted rookie from Lousville, is an intriguing developmental prospect who could land on the practice squad if another team doesn't pick him up if he's waived. I just want to stay in Carolina, whatever that entails, said Cantwell. If that's a roster spot - probably unlikely - (or) if that's on the practice squad, great. I feel like I've got a chance to be good here.p/ Waiting his turn to play is nothing new to Cantwell. He was a reserve at Louisville behind Brian Brohm before becoming the starter as a senior after Brohm was drafted by the Green Bay Packers.p/ Cantwell's transition to the NFL was made smoother by the fact a former Lousville teammate, tight end Gary Barnidge, was already with the Panthers. They've roomed together in traininig camp and on the road for the Giants' game.p/ I told (Barnidge) this is like being back at Louisville, like nothing's changed, said Cantwell.p/ One thing that has changed is Cantwell's throwing motion, according to Barnidge. p/ He's got a really strong arm and is very accurate, Barnidge said of Cantwell. He changed his delivery some from college. It's a little shorter and has made him a better quarterback. It's more fluid for him.p/ He had that long throwing motion. This is better for him.p/ Cantwell seems full of youthful enthusiasm. He uses the phrase really cool to describe many things about his first NFL experience, include the friendly, welcoming way he said the Panthers have embraced him.p/ No one is above anybody, he said. It's been really cool to be in the locker room and be a part of a team again with guys making all sorts of money, (but) just being regular ol' Joes and being teammates.p/ With Carolina trailing the Giants 17-9 late in the fourth quarter Monday night, Cantwell led the Panthers on a five-play, 88-yard scoring drive to forge a 17-17 tie.p/ He was 4-of-4 passing for 67 yards on the possession, including a 31-yard touchdown to Jason Chery. He also scrambled for a 21-yard gain and closed the possession with a two-point conversion pass completion to tight end Andrew Davie.p/ It was a lot of fun, first time out, Monday Night Football at the Meadowlands, said Cantwell.p/ Cantwell and the offense got the ball back with 10 seconds remaining. Overtime seemed likely, but the Panthers hoped to complete a pass to get into field-goal range. Instead, Cantwell was struck with a blindside hit and his fumble was returned for the game-clinching touchdown as time expired, bringing his night to a sudden and disappointing completion.p/ Guys like me and a lot of the other guys who (were) in there, you only get so many reps in practices and games, so to be able to go into an overtime situation and have that many more reps and have the possibility to win he game was something we were all looking forward to, said Cantwell. That wasn't the way we wanted it to end.p/ The good news is Cantwell's stay with the Panthers might be far from over. p/ Charles Chandler: (704) 358-5123 and @CharlesChandler on Twitter

More...

Not me. I haven't seen anything yet to convince me that he's not just the latest version of Randy Fasani.

I couldn't get behind dumping guys with regular season starting experience for a kid whose only resume accomplishment is looking good against scrubs in preseason (and in fairness, he didn't look that good).

I hope he makes the roster over Moore or Mcown.. Won't happen, but I would prefer it.

Because of one preseason game against a third-string defense?

The truth of the matter is he's had a less than impressive camp. I'm not saying he won't develop into something, but he's not an upgrade over Moore or McCown right now.

He's not better than Moore or McCown right now but I wouldn't be surprised if he is in a few years. I hope we can keep him in our system. He has great size and strength and IMO has more physical abilities at that stage than either Moore or McCown had.

This is the typical garbage we deal with almost every season with a "project" QB. Cantwell is most likely a bum and there is truly no point in keeping a guy on the roster that will be very unlikely to be able to handling starting duties should the worst happen. McCown and Moore aren't good options either but at least they have a bit more familiarity with our offense and personnel and some NFL experience. Classic case of the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.

Not to mention the guy threw 16 td's and 16 int's at Louisville. Seriously? In the Big East? fug that.

While I agree with Mr Scot about the experience factor there is another thing to consider. Both McCown and Moore are going to be free agents at the end of this season. When you also factor in that McCown is costing a good amount agaisnt the cap and the need for a DT that could leave him the odd man out. Maybe not the best football move as far as the QB position is concern but when looking at the entire team it could make sence.

I think "undrafted (player) turning heads" is one of those headlines we see on an annual basis. Sometimes it turns into something. Other times it doesn't.

While I agree with Mr Scot about the experience factor there is another thing to consider. Both McCown and Moore are going to be free agents at the end of this season. When you also factor in that McCown is costing a good amount agaisnt the cap and the need for a DT that could leave him the odd man out. Maybe not the best football move as far as the QB position is concern but when looking at the entire team it could make sence.

Gantt had some speculation on that. I think moves can be made at other positions to accomplish the goal.

He's perfect for the practice squad. I don't mean that in a negative way. He may, and I stress may, turn into something with a few years of development.

If the Pats had him, I'd predict Pro Bowl in 3 years.

Worth remembering we don't have Mike McCoy anymore.

Archived