• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How We Got Here - A 2014 Timeline

Jeremy Igo

Did we ever talk to Captain, he implied on Twitter that the Panthers never even approached him.

Whether we talked to him or not isn't really the point.  We know what he's being paid in Minnesota.  Do you seriously believe that Munnerlyn would have accepted less just to play for the Panthers?

Whether we talked to him or not isn't really the point. We know what he's being paid in Minnesota. Do you seriously believe that Munnerlyn would have accepted less just to play for the Panthers?

I absolutely do, unless he's just a liar. He implied all offseason that he wanted to be here and it was "strange" that he hadn't been contacted. Now once Minnesota made the offer we were fuged. Gettleman sat in his high chair and told everyone to go off and see what they were worth, thinking everyone would come running back. Blew up in his face.

You acquire the best and meanest offensive tackles you possibly can and send the entire offensive line and Cam on two week carribean cruise together.

i know this will be expensive, but i would advise against counting on rookies to start next year. pick up the best and meanest veteran OTs we can as soon as possible and then get them and kalil, turner, and norwell bonding with each other and cam.

we need them to at the very latest come into training camp with the OL starting line up set and spend all of TC getting reps together.

this team can't afford to wait for one or two rookie OTs to pull their poo together. time is a luxury this team doesn't have in regards to the OL if they have any hope of keeping cam around.

at the very least, pick up a vet LT and draft the best roadgrader RT possible.

Nice write up.

I think losing the club house started here:

One day after Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman sounded surprisingly lukewarm about Steve Smith's roster spot in Carolina -- saying his return was "part of the evaluation process" -- coach Ron Rivera was equally noncommittal. "It's all about the evaluations," Rivera echoed to Around The League on Friday. "We got to look through everything, there's a lot of scenarios that we're putting together as a football team."Asked if there was a scenario in which Smith wouldn't be a Panther, Rivera said: "Not quite sure. Again, we are in a process right now that we're getting ready to evaluate the college football players. When we get back into town, we'll sit down and start talking about what has to happen when we start getting ready for free agency."

In addition 89's being shown the door was supposed to allow Cam to take ownership of the team. 

Finally, this organization using the Franchise Tag on a DE after the repeated Julius Peppers fiascos is beyond reason.

Come on....do you really think he didn't see it? 

In the end, does it matter? We are where we are. Gettleman doesn't deserve full blame for this season, but he took a gamble with this OL, and went all in with undrafted players like Nate Chandler. Since then our QB, and basically all of our RB's have been getting injured.

There really is no way around it, in the upcoming offseason we literally have to do whatever it takes to shore up this OL. No excuses.

In the end, does it matter? We are where we are. Gettleman doesn't deserve full blame for this season, but he took a gamble with this OL, and went all in with undrafted players like Nate Chandler. Since then our QB, and basically all of our RB's have been getting injured.

There really is no way around it, in the upcoming offseason we literally have to do whatever it takes to shore up this OL. No excuses.

No it doesn't matter in the end. But there is a difference between his inability to see what he was doing and a failed strategy. The former is a trait of incompetence and the latter is failed plan which was implemented because of our financial situation. I wasn't addressing the need at OL - I was addressing that our GM is not a schmuck and wasn't blind to what was happening at OL. 

No it doesn't matter in the end. But there is a difference between his inability to see what he was doing and a failed strategy. The former is a trait of incompetence and the latter is failed plan which was implemented because of our financial situation. I wasn't addressing the need at OL - I was addressing that our GM is not a schmuck and wasn't blind to what was happening at OL. 

Who called him a schmuck?

Look we can talk about Gettleman without sucking his cock. There is a middle ground to be had.

So, I'm sorry, but being responsible for fielding one of the worst OL's the league has ever seen does require a smidge of incompetence.

Does that negate the other good things he has done? Absolutely not. Will he learn his lesson from this? I certainly think so.

To franchise GH in the first place, with ALL of those glaring holes, raised a red flag with me. I wanted this staff gone a long time ago (as evidenced in my sig), but I wanted to give them a chance during last year (also as demonstrated by said sig). I thought they had finally had an epiphany. WRONG. Even last year. When we were rolling, coaching/adjusting/scheme errors, were exposed, during the most competitive times in big games. You don't get to shop or in this case, dumpster-dive, for the groceries and then expect people to be okay with a shitty meal. This staff brought their ugly gf to the dance, now they are stuck with her. Even if that means they have to watusi their asses right out of the door.

Pie, for use of the Watusi alone in your response. :thumbsu:

Who called him a schmuck?

Look we can talk about Gettleman without sucking his cock. There is a middle ground to be had.

So, I'm sorry, but being responsible for fielding one of the worst OL's the league has ever seen does require a smidge of incompetence.

Does that negate the other good things he has done? Absolutely not. Will he learn his lesson from this? I certainly think so.

Saying that "everyone saw it but Gettleman" infers that he's a schmuck when he's one of 32 guys paid to do his job and we're a bunch of know-it-alls at home on an internet message board. 

I know you like to take things I say and make it into more than it is - your game remains the same. My only point is that I don't think the Huddlers knew the OL was going to be bad and GMan had no idea. If you think that's sucking his cock....well, you definitely would know better than me. 

Saying that "everyone saw it but Gettleman" infers that he's a schmuck when he's one of 32 guys paid to do his job and we're a bunch of know-it-alls at home on an internet message board. 

I know you like to take things I say and make it into more than it is - your game remains the same. My only point is that I don't think the Huddlers knew the OL was going to be bad and GMan had no idea. If you think that's sucking his cock....well, you definitely would know better than me. 

There are idiots here who think he should be fired, or nonsense like that, but they are fairly low in numbers.

Didn't we have to convince Gross to stick around for one more season last year? The distinct possibility of his retirement was not totally spur of the moment. I didn't say that he didn't see it, I said he gambled with the personnel hoping that they would work out, and they didn't.

Archived