• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How We Got Here - A 2014 Timeline

Jeremy Igo

Here are the major events of 2014 that got the Panthers to where they are today...

February 26 - Jordan Gross retires, leaving a yawning chasm at left tackle on an already suspect and battered offensive line. Speculation of drafting an early round tackle solidifies to an almost certainty

March 4 - Greg Hardy franchised at a cost of 13.1 million dollars for the season, eating up much of the cap money that could have been used to solidify other areas.

March 11 - Mike Mitchell signs in Pittsburgh. Mitchell proved to be a solid safety in Carolina and cashed in. Mitchell was known for his tenacity and attitude in the Panthers secondary.

March 13 - Steve Smith released, Ted Ginn signs in Arizona, Captain Munnerlyn signs in Minnesota. Smith's release was a ontroversial move that most agree was at least handled very poorly. The Panthers unable to match an offer in Arizona lose their only deep threat in Ginn, who had a career high 5 TDs in 2013 with Carolina. Munnerlyn was a  good nickel in Carolina but was offered money that the Panthers just could not match.

March 15 - Panthers sign Roman Harper to a two year 4.5 million dollar deal with 1.5 million signing bonus, despite Harper having an injury plagued year and only starting 5 games in New Orleans in 2013. Harper has largely been a disappointment this season.

March 20 - Cam Newton announces ankle surgery to tighten ligaments. He will miss OTA's and time to develop chemistry with new receiver core.

April 10 - Panthers sign former pro bowl safety Thomas DeCoud to a two year deal. Again, largely a disappointment in 2014.

May 8 - Panthers draft areas of need including wide receiver, defensive end, guard in early rounds. They fail to draft an offensive tackle but do draft a running back they lose to New England eventually. They do sign long term project tackle David Foucault after rookie camp.

May 13 - Greg Hardy arrested on domestic violence charges.

May - June - OTAs and minicamps - Byron Bell and Nate Chandler compete for Offensive Tackle positions. Virtually no one in the media believes the Panthers roster is finalized along the offensive line, tackle especially, despite Panthers officials proclaiming Chandler and Bell are the tackles of 2014.

July 16 - Greg Hardy found guilty by a judge of domestic violence. Hardy chooses to appeal to a jury trial.

July 26 - Training camp opens. Offensive tackle positions look shaky at best. Media still believes moves will be made to solidify the line. A large portion of training camp passes would be sacks in live game situations. Cam Newton doesn't run in most of camp, still recovering from ankle surgery. Charles Godfrey is transitioning to nickel and looks really bad to even the most untrained eye.

August 22 - Panthers blown out in New England preseason game. Cam Newton's ribs are injured. He will miss time and wear a flak jacket for the season. Game result is thought to be an aberration, but turns out to me more of an omen.

Sept 1 - Final cuts made. Charles Godfrey and David Foucault make the team, leaving many scratching their heads. No offensive tackles are signed much to the disbelief of local media.

Sept 7 - Cam Newton misses his first game as a pro due to injury.

September 9 - Backup tackle/guard Garry Williams lost for season with leg injury Second season in a row Williams is out due to injury. Panthers do not replace roster spot with a tackle via free agency. Three tackles now remain on the roster, one a long term prospect rookie.

Sept 14 - Greg Hardy is inactive due to league pressure surrounding domestic violence issue. Hardy would not see the field again in 2014 and most likely never again as a Panther.

Oct 5 - Promising rookie nickel Bene Benwikere suffers double ankle sprain, is out for many weeks. Charles Godfrey is picked on heavily by QBs and becomes a big liability until he is eventually released several games later. Panthers secondary is exposed as slow and heavily picked on with plenty of time provided to do so.

Oct - Nov - Panthers continue to struggle to protect Cam Newton and fail to apply pressure to opposing QBs. Panthers are not only losing, but being blown out on a regular basis. Cam Newton is hit more than in any season prior, taking a cumulative toll on his already injured body. The issues of not addressing offensive tackles despite being obvious to everyone and Greg Hardy's off field issues become the biggest contributors to the failures of 2014.

Today - Media reports indicate Ron Rivera is losing his team. Locker room complaints from players begin to emerge. Disagreements between Cam Newton and coaching staff are made public on the issue of Cam's health. Hopes for a winning season are quickly diminishing if present at all. Carolina continues to showcase the worst offensive line in Panthers history.

So there you have it, what I see as the major contributors this year that have led to where the Panthers are at today. The Greg Hardy situation was not avoidable by the Panthers. They had no way of knowing he would not be available in 2014. But the offensive tackle situation was like a slow moving train wreck that everyone could see except for Gettleman.

I have to admit I thought DG was going to address the Oline at some point before the season. Gave the guy much credit for last year. What he was thinking concerning the Oline and some FA signings are a mystery. I have lost some confidence in him but I will wait and see what he puts together next season. This season is over as far as I am concerned.

Exactly the reason I blame Gettleman not so much for the situation we were in at the time but how he mishandled it. BUT I also understand that this is his first job as GM and guys make mistakes they hopefully learn from.  Hopefully he will too.  The problem with bringing in folks who have not been experienced in their job is that you have to live with the growing pains.  2014 is Gettleman's.

To franchise GH in the first place, with ALL of those glaring holes, raised a red flag with me. I wanted this staff gone a long time ago (as evidenced in my sig), but I wanted to give them a chance during last year (also as demonstrated by said sig). I thought they had finally had an epiphany. WRONG. Even last year. When we were rolling, coaching/adjusting/scheme errors, were exposed, during the most competitive times in big games. You don't get to shop or in this case, dumpster-dive, for the groceries and then expect people to be okay with a shitty meal. This staff brought their ugly gf to the dance, now they are stuck with her. Even if that means they have to watusi their asses right out of the door.

We've got about 2 more games to have any chance to recover this season... if that's even possible.  We basically have to win out to have any shot at the playoffs... we could possibly lose one more and make it if literally everything goes our way and NO falls off.  Chances are slim...

After that, how do we fix it for next year?

We've got about 2 more games to have any chance to recover this season... if that's even possible. We basically have to win out to have any shot at the playoffs... we could possibly lose one more and make it if literally everything goes our way and NO falls off. Chances are slim...

After that, how do we fix it for next year?

You acquire the best and meanest offensive tackles you possibly can and send the entire offensive line and Cam on two week carribean cruise together.

Sounds like a plan.  Who are they and can we afford them and can you fix the defense too if you do that?

That's part of the 2015 timeline.  I think they will be able to afford them, and do quite a bit on the defensive side as well.  Some people may not like the route they likely have to take to do it though.

Archived