• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Logan absolutely nails it about Cam Newton and Panthers

teeray

You guys are way off base. Just to help you out, I'm going to enlighten you on the things Cam is doing wrong. Here goes:

1) He needs to get the ball out quicker even if there is no one to throw to.

2) He should just hit the check down option when he's pressured, even when there aren't any visible on the field. They are there, you just can't see them.

3) He takes too many sacks. Why can't he just throw the ball away? You know, like Jimmy used to do.

4) He comes out of the huddle too slowly, thus giving bad vibes to the rest of the offense.

5) His lack of maturity is just not on par with guys like Brady or Manning. How much longer do we give him to develop?

6) He doesn't elevate the play of the scrubs players around him.

Face the facts. No matter what some radio guy says about him, he's just not elite in his 4th year in the league, so it's obvious he'll never be any good. Just trade him for a 3rd round pick and be done with it. The only other alternative is to get him to sign a 5 year, $12 million dollar per year contract with plenty of outs for the team so they can cut him anytime they want.

Sorry for being "that guy" but someone has to keep you people from being horribly disappointed over the next few years.

i believe cam newton is a high intellect guy, you watch the film he knows whats going on. His mobility is 10 on a 10 scale. So i can deal with some of the inaccuracies and accentuate some of the other things. Which the panthers did well last year. But the team is falling apart around him. People say you can go out and get a guy if someone gets injured. There's a reason those people are still out on the streets. They're not very good.

accentuate some of the other things

you can win a superbowl with Cam Newton's skill set and intellect and a competent defense on the otherside with keek and our two star DTs.

I pray to God this organization realizes this.

Cam Newton has already been to the ProBowl twice in his young career and broke passing records etc.etc. He is an elite QB in the hands of the right OC. That's in the books. To judge Cam on this dumpster fire and forget that he already made history as a rookie would be very short sighted.

I don't know if he's elite yet, but he has the potential to be the best Panthers QB ever. That's enough for me. He's playing hurt and guys are coming out of the woodwork with "mechanics" and "inability to read a defense" and "footwork issues" crap.

If you race and your owner puts you in a sh!tty car and you come in last do you deserve the blame? The scrutiny? The paycut? How can anyone blame Cam Newton with #66,#77 among others underperforming as bad as they are. If we take away those DTs Luke and TD will look very normal. The FO deserves the blame not Cam.

The "Best Answer" suspect

He said in that interview something along the lines of "I'd kill to get a chance to coach that kid." Not those exact words but same thing basically.

IMO Steve Logan got a bad deal from ECU.  He took ECU to a level that no one ever knew before.  I think he had a bad season or two but for what he did for ECU was nothing more than a miracle.   He made them relevant and could have gone elsewhere after a good season but stayed for 10 yrs.

Greatest Coach in ECU history.  Yeah I know Pat Dye was there but wasn't there as long.

IMO Steve Logan got a bad deal from ECU.  He took ECU to a level that no one ever knew before.  I think he had a bad season or two but for what he did for ECU was nothing more than a miracle.   He made them relevant and could have gone elsewhere after a good season but stayed for 10 yrs.

Greatest Coach in ECU history.  Yeah I know Pat Dye was there but wasn't there as long.

Here is a good discussion about why Logan and ECU parted ways.

http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/59438/Contents/Question-for-long-time-Pirates-about-Steve-Logan-23986118

FWIW I was at the Peach Bowl when Logan and the Pirates made their then historic comeback against the wolfpack in 1992.  I beleive.........

Cam Newton has already been to the ProBowl twice in his young career and broke passing records etc.etc. He is an elite QB in the hands of the right OC. That's in the books. To judge Cam on this dumpster fire and forget that he already made history as a rookie would be very short sighted.

I don't know if he's elite yet, but he has the potential to be the best Panthers QB ever. That's enough for me. He's playing hurt and guys are coming out of the woodwork with "mechanics" and "inability to read a defense" and "footwork issues" crap.

If you race and your owner puts you in a sh!tty car and you come in last do you deserve the blame? The scrutiny? The paycut? How can anyone blame Cam Newton with #66,#77 among others underperforming as bad as they are. If we take away those DTs Luke and TD will look very normal. The FO deserves the blame not Cam.

The "Best Answer" suspect

His mechanics and footwork are still sub-par....however, that is not the main issue this year.  It is flat out the horrible play by the OL that is to bear the majority of the blame.

Here is a good discussion about why Logan and ECU parted ways.

http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/59438/Contents/Question-for-long-time-Pirates-about-Steve-Logan-23986118

FWIW I was at the Peach Bowl when Logan and the Pirates made their then historic comeback against the wolfpack in 1992. I beleive.........

There is a reason he never got another head coaching job. He had a bit of a reputation of being a bit arrogant and hard to deal with, although he seemingly has mellowed out as he has gotten older.

But I would take him as a QB coach in a millisecond. And he said at the end of that interview "I would give anything to have coached that kid"

But i doubt that ever comes to fruition.

There is a reason he never got another head coaching job. He had a bit of a reputation of being a bit arrogant and hard to deal with, although he seemingly has mellowed out as he has gotten older.

But I would take him as a QB coach in a millisecond. And he said at the end of that interview "I would give anything to have coached that kid"

But i doubt that ever comes to fruition.

Before they hired Chud I started a thread suggesting we should look at Logan.  On the other hand if we are going to part ways with Shula I really want a proven guy at the NFL level or at least one with successful NFL experience.  For every college guy who comes in and succeeds there are many more who fail.

Before they hired Chud I started a thread suggesting we should look at Logan.  On the other hand if we are going to part ways with Shula I really want a proven guy at the NFL level or at least one with successful NFL experience.  For every college guy who comes in and succeeds there are many more who fail.

Yeah, I think for now I would want him as a QB coach rather than an OC.

But probably wishful thinking though

You guys are way off base. Just to help you out, I'm going to enlighten you on the things Cam is doing wrong. Here goes:

1) He needs to get the ball out quicker even if there is no one to throw to.

2) He should just hit the check down option when he's pressured, even when there aren't any visible on the field. They are there, you just can't see them.

3) He takes too many sacks. Why can't he just throw the ball away? You know, like Jimmy used to do.

4) He comes out of the huddle too slowly, thus giving bad vibes to the rest of the offense.

5) His lack of maturity is just not on par with guys like Brady or Manning. How much longer do we give him to develop?

6) He doesn't elevate the play of the scrubs players around him.

Face the facts. No matter what some radio guy says about him, he's just not elite in his 4th year in the league, so it's obvious he'll never be any good. Just trade him for a 3rd round pick and be done with it. The only other alternative is to get him to sign a 5 year, $12 million dollar per year contract with plenty of outs for the team so they can cut him anytime they want.

Sorry for being "that guy" but someone has to keep you people from being horribly disappointed over the next few years.

Points 1-4 are fixable with better coaching, namely a bonafide OC that schemes to showcase his strengths and QB coach dedicated to working on his mechanics. Points 5 & 6 come with experience and good team around him. Steve Logan's commentary was on point. No one can deny the kid has talent. Cam Newton is a two-time Pro-Bowler and recording setting QB  in only his 4th year in the NFL. He's easily the best QB this franchise has ever had. No reasonable, knowlegdeable, unbiased fan would believe his skills or talent have suddenly disappeared or he's being exposed as no good. What's the difference? Terrible OL, which translates to a subpar running/passing game, WRs that can't get consistent separation and crappy playcalling due to imcompetence and the aforementioned issues. Fix these areas and suddenly this pointless debate becomes moot. He may never be in the elite status of a Manning or Brady, but he's the best QB this francishe has ever seen and the Panthers will be the laughingstock of the NFL if they foolishly cut him loose w/o making efforts to build a competitive team around him.

Points 1-4 are fixable with better coaching, namely a bonafide OC that schemes to showcase his strengths and QB coach dedicated to working on his mechanics. Points 5 & 6 come with experience and good team around him. Steve Logan's commentary was on point. No one can deny the kid has talent. Cam Newton is a two-time Pro-Bowler and recording setting QB  in only his 4th year in the NFL. He's easily the best QB this franchise has ever had. No reasonable, knowlegdeable, unbiased fan would believe his skills or talent have suddenly disappeared or he's being exposed as no good. What's the difference? Terrible OL, which translates to a subpar running/passing game, WRs that can't get consistent separation and crappy playcalling due to imcompetence and the aforementioned issues. Fix these areas and suddenly this pointless debate becomes moot. He may never be in the elite status of a Manning or Brady, but he's the best QB this francishe has ever seen and the Panthers will be the laughingstock of the NFL if they foolishly cut him loose w/o making efforts to build a competitive team around him.

he was being a wee bit facetious.

and by wee i mean rrreeeeeaaaalllllly facetious.

he was being a wee bit facetious.

and by wee i mean rrreeeeeaaaalllllly facetious.

Oh, my bad :( It's hard to tell in times like these.

It's sad that the Panthers' organization can't seem to figure all of this out. Maybe as fans we just need to be patient until all these issues are ironed out. This team is tough to watch right now.

Archived