• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little on Chris Scott

Jeremy Igo

Since he may be starting at right tackle on Sunday, why not take a look into his background....

First, he played 4 years at tackle for a legit football program in college at Tennessee. No small school project.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scott_chris00.html

2009 - Games/Starts: 13/13 ... All-SEC second team performer one of three Vols offensive linemen who started every game ... Finished UT career with 39 consecutive starts, tying Eric Berry for longest active UT streak ... Named to All-SEC second teams by league writers and coaches ... Participated in both East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl.

Also, he was actually drafted in the 5th round by Pittsburgh in 2010

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/chris-scott?id=497050

Thickly built player with great height. Gets his hands inside defenders and has a strong punch. Reads fast and takes proper angles. Has the strength be a road-grader in the running game. Finishes blocks and shows a mean streak. Played extensively in the SEC.

and... he looks like he is in decent shape at practice. I was worried he would come in looking huge again, but he actually looked pretty decent.

Yes, there is reason for concern. But there is reason for hope. I mean, really, could it get much worse at RT?

A Little on Nate Chandler: 

After training with Panthers OT Nate Chandler the past two summers, Hall of Fame LT Jackie Slater claimed "there's no doubt in my mind he's a top left tackle."

A converted defensive tackle, he's now battling Byron Bell to start on Cam Newton's blind side. "He's mentally equipped to solve problems, and that's what you have to do to play offensive tackle in this league," said Slater, a seven-time Pro Bowler who's now the OL coach at Azusa Pacific University. "He's going to be a good offensive lineman in the National Football League for a very long time."

No it couldn't and I am happy they are making a change. He should help out the run game too. Now if they could just bench Harper and start Colin :)

Literally the only reason they are making a change is because Chandler is hurt.  That is literally it, this staff was compelled to keep the status quo if he wasn't hurt.  

Bell is a backup RT

Chandler a backup guard at best.

Honestly Chandler would be better on the practice squad for a yr working out technical things. All this is moot as they have been forced into roles they are not equipped to succeed in.

Honestly Chandler would be better on the practice squad for a yr working out technical things. All this is moot as they have been forced into roles they are not equipped to succeed in.

I don't think Bell is equipped to succeed in any role on the offensive line in the NFL.  That's just my two cents.  

Funny thing...

If Scott actually comes in and looks good, then you kinda have to question his being cut in the first place and other guys who haven't looked good being kept over him.

It'd be a good thing for us, but yet another knock on Rivera's ability to set a proper depth chart, especially given that if Chandler weren't hurt he likely wouldn't be here at all.

Since he may be starting at right tackle on Sunday, why not take a look into his background....

First, he played 4 years at tackle for a legit football program in college at Tennessee. No small school project.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scott_chris00.html

Also, he was actually drafted in the 5th round by Pittsburgh in 2010

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/chris-scott?id=497050

and... he looks like he is in decent shape at practice. I was worried he would come in looking huge again, but he actually looked pretty decent.

Yes, there is reason for concern. But there is reason for hope. I mean, really, could it get much worse at RT?

A...Drafted...Tackle...

tumblr_n0srauAhd41sl21koo1_400.gif

Last time I remember our line playing well I think Scott was in there, for as bad as he may have been at times

He really was never "bad" at all.  I have mentioned a few times, that he is actually a pretty damn good linemen, if he would get his ass in shape.  That's the thing I never understood, how he would just not do anything about it.  He would have been starting over Turner, if he wouldn't have came into camp looking like a fat turd.  If he's truly in shape, and has his act together in that regard, he will probably surprise quite a few people.  

Archived