• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IR Cam

Jeremy Igo

You're telling the team "this season is over and we're going to protect our quarterback".

I agree it's a lousy message to send everyone else, which is one of the reasons I can't get behind the idea.

You can IR him. Tell team he has given you all he could on a bum foot, busted ribs, and whatever else he has. Shutting him down.

He comes back this offseason, healthy...and potentially a new staff and with some fresh air. New start.

Both would be done for same reason. Disappearing on IR likely doesn't create as many media and other issues as benched IMO.

Mr Scot,if you don't buy it,then you have a lot more faith in Richardson than I do. Richardson loves money first,the Panthers second. I will remind you of this conservation next year when,once again, to our regret,we are stuck with Rivera. :)

Nobody with any personal experience with him agrees with that line.

But even if you accept the premise, a losing franchise does not make money.  What sense would it make to keep a bad coach?

You can IR him. Tell team he has given you all he could on a bum foot, busted ribs, and whatever else he has. Shutting him down.

He comes back this offseason, healthy...and potentially a new staff and with some fresh air. New start.

Both would be done for same reason. Disappearing on IR likely doesn't create as many media and other issues as benched IMO.

But again, then he can't practice or be part of the team.

Thing about that though, it doesn't matter as much if you plan on firing the current coaches anyway.

Gettleman putting Newton on IR could be a big red flag for Rivera.

But again, then he can't practice or be part of the team.

Thing about that though, it doesn't matter as much if you plan on firing the current coaches anyway.

Gettleman putting Newton on IR could be a big red flag for Rivera.

Cam can be on IR....and still be around and part of the team. He just couldn't practice.

And when Cam ends the season with an ACL tear or a dislocated shoulder.... was it worth it?

Cam would say, yes it was. With all that's been said here, the most important is how the locker room and staff would respond. No matter what is said in front of the cameras, it would be giving up on everybody, the entire team and they would know that. The only player that ever gave up on this team was Kerry Collins and to this day I have not forgiven him for that. Cam won't and neither should anyone else.

Cam can be on IR....and still be around and part of the team. He just couldn't practice.

Are there league officials at practice? If not, have Cam practice during the portions not open to the media. fug the league and if we did happen to get caught it would probably just be a fine, if that.

with the new injuries being reported, nationally, it would be a good time to do it if they felt this was the best option. i know with their competitive nature though, only a game or two out that they do not want to concede that the season is over, although anyone can tell this team isnt headed in the right direction.

Well, it has come to this.

As of today, I feel like placing Cam on IR is the best option for the future of this team, for the following reasons...

1. He is hurt. It is painfully obvious the man is no where near 100%. When defensive tackles are running Cam Newton down, it isn't a sign of great health. He is no longer able to run to avoid potentially career ending hits. Lets face it, there isn't much left to play for this season. The Panthers may as well put Joe Webb in and see if he can spark anything on the offense with his legs, and possibly keep him as next year's #2.

2.  The Carr Factor - Playing behind an awful offensive line and offensive coordinator ruined David Carr's career. Cam is now regressing at a rate he may not be able to recover from. Keeping him out there will only increase the amount of time to recover, if ever. You all have seen Cam's confidence, his swag, slowly but surely fade away this season.

3. Recovery Time - I am not so sure at the rate at which things are happening now that Cam would be physically ready for OTA's in May. If he plays the season out, he will finish with lingering injuries. I am not sure 4 months would be adequate time for Cam to get to 100%. Whoever the next OC is for the Panthers, he would benefit greatly from having 100% of Cam's attention on the playbook and not on rehab.

Putting Cam on IR would be the best option for both parties because it would give him plenty of time to recover. Granted it means throwing the towel in on this season and that wouldn't please the fans, but it would mean that Cam gets the time to recover from his injuries. 

The issue with this plan is Ron Rivera. He needs to turn this season around to remain the head coach of the Carolina Panthers, and without Cam, he doesn't have a chance in hell of doing that. So effectively this would end his reign as our head coach, and I don't see him going along with any plan that sees Cam being placed on IR unless he gets a season ending injury. 

Well, it has come to this.

As of today, I feel like placing Cam on IR is the best option for the future of this team, for the following reasons...

1. He is hurt. It is painfully obvious the man is no where near 100%. When defensive tackles are running Cam Newton down, it isn't a sign of great health. He is no longer able to run to avoid potentially career ending hits. Lets face it, there isn't much left to play for this season. The Panthers may as well put Joe Webb in and see if he can spark anything on the offense with his legs, and possibly keep him as next year's #2.

2. The Carr Factor - Playing behind an awful offensive line and offensive coordinator ruined David Carr's career. Cam is now regressing at a rate he may not be able to recover from. Keeping him out there will only increase the amount of time to recover, if ever. You all have seen Cam's confidence, his swag, slowly but surely fade away this season.

3. Recovery Time - I am not so sure at the rate at which things are happening now that Cam would be physically ready for OTA's in May. If he plays the season out, he will finish with lingering injuries. I am not sure 4 months would be adequate time for Cam to get to 100%. Whoever the next OC is for the Panthers, he would benefit greatly from having 100% of Cam's attention on the playbook and not on rehab.

Last week I would have fought you tooth and nail on this.

Not anymore. Last night shocked me. SHOCKED.

Cam is either deep into the process of Shulafication (god forbid its permanent) or HE'S HURT.

Putting two and two together from all the media tweets... left ankle, right ankle, ribs, thumb, wrist... like you, I lean toward multiple nagging injuries.

I've been watching him closely since he played for UF. What we're seeing now is a shadow of that guy.

Lawd save him from terminal Shulafication.

P.S. The usual media suspects will crush him if he's IR'ed for anything less than an individual debilitating injury, of course. Fug'em.

Jerry Richardson needs to see that the biggest POTENTIAL asset in Panthers history is close to becoming an afterthought because of coaching ineptitude. I not only would like to see Cam sit because he could heal…I want to see if DA can have more success. I don't think it would happen with the state of the current OL, but if DA comes in and puts up good numbers and leads us to wins then it seriously makes you start questioning Cam's future with us. IMO that isn't a bad thing. At this point you need all the clarity on Cam that you can get and that isn't happening with him playing injured, behind a terrible OL, with mediocre weapons, and a baffoon with an OC. 

This season is essentially a wash and it sucks but at this point you need to regroup and come up with a plan next year to surround this QB with talent so that he can actually be evaluated fairly. If that doesn't happen then we are screwing ourselves as an organization long-term. So…long-term putting Cam on IR is the best thing we can do. 

The next question becomes how do you convince Rivera to do that? If you sit Cam you are essentially damning Rivera to another 4-5 win season and he's probably out of a job. 

Archived