• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting problem with Wildcat offenses

pstall

And it seems it's not so much the talent to use it as much as it's the roster being managed properly.

From everyone's favorite whipping boy Florio.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-08-17/wildcat-could-pose-roster-dilemma-for-eagles-dolphins

Each team has 53 active players. For games, 45 of them dress, along with a third quarterback, who may be used on an "emergency" basis only in the first 45 minutes of the game.

The "emergency" quarterback can come and go in the fourth quarter. Before that, if the "emergency" quarterback enters the game, the other two quarterbacks cannot return.

Hell, McNabb and the Eagles did not know that games could end in a tie.

I bet they don't know this rule.

I can see it now. Vick is 3rd string emergency QB. Reid sends in in in the 1st quarter. McNabb trots back on field and is informed he cannot play the rest of the game.

Look on McNabb's and Reid's faces would be priceless.

Spurrier didn't know the rule when he was with the Redskins. He put his third guy in a game and then wanted to go back to one of the others. The refs had to explain to him why he couldn't.

If Vick were third on the depth chart, declaring him an RB or WR would be counterproductive because the third QB spot is essentially an "active/inactive" and putting him in a true active spot would mean you'd have to deactivate someone else.

Worth noting that this is only an issue if Vick is third on the depth chart. If he's the backup, non-issue.

In truth, there actually is an issue with Wildcat offenses, but it isn't the one discussed here.

McNabb was talking about the fact that he could line up anywhere on the field, which he could. What's forgotten though is that when you don't line up at QB, that virtual suit of armor that protects you goes away.

If you're acting as a receiver, tight end or running back and you get the ball, there's nothing that prevents a Ray Lewis or Rodney Harrison type guy from unloading on you the same way they do any other player in that position. That's all well and good when you have someone who normally plays that position doing it. When it's your starting quarterback though, you're taking a risk.

Is a guy like McNabb tough enough to take that sort of pounding. Unknown, but his history includes enough games lost to injury that if I were Andy Reid, I'd definitely think twice about taking the chance of my starting quarterback getting planted on a gimmick play.

As an aside, a high school coach in my home area once made the huge strategic blunder of using his starting QB as a long snapper. In response, an opposing coach lined up his two best DTs in the gaps on either side, and each one went for a knee. One play later, the QB/LS was carried off the field and lost for the season.

(pretty sure nobody uses that particular hybrid position anymore)

As an aside, a high school coach in my home area once made the huge strategic blunder of using his starting QB as a long snapper. In response, an opposing coach lined up his two best DTs in the gaps on either side, and each one went for a knee. One play later, the QB/LS was carried off the field and lost for the season.

He sounds like a real class act.

Archived