• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dearest Johnny Rockets

Jeremy Igo

Listening to Chip Kelly's news conference in JR's link i heard something very interesting. Reporter asked what kind of blitzing team we were heavy or light. Chip responded with, "No, they blitz, but the one thing about them is they are very consistent through every down in terms of how often they are going to bring stuff"

Is Jim Johnson turning over in his grave?

Sean McDermott hangs his hat on the Jim Johnson bloodline and the ONE THING a Jim Johnson defense did was NOT be predictable on blitz packages.

With all the heat on Shula and Cam and Rivera, it is our Defense that has been the biggest disappointment in this stretch and they need to be held just as accountable as all of our other woes.

I gather from that comment that we do always blitz, but that doesn't mean it's predictable. A safety blitz here, backer blitz there, corner blitz sprinkled in between. Consistently putting pressure on the line to maintain assignments. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Ryan became the Bears DC in 1978. Walsh joined the 49ers the following year.

I agree he built it prior to that.

True, I forgot about Ryan being there before Ditka.  According to Ron Jaworski's book, the first time it was used for most of a game was in 1981 against the Chargers, the same year that Montana was riding the WCO to the Superbowl.   But Ryan didn't use the 46 as his base defense until 1984, when Richard Dent and company were playing for him and he finally had the right mix of personnel to use it the way he intended. 

I gather from that comment that we do always blitz, but that doesn't mean it's predictable. A safety blitz here, backer blitz there, corner blitz sprinkled in between. Consistently putting pressure on the line to maintain assignments. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

That would be awesome if 1) it were true and 2) it was what he said

Listening to Chip Kelly's news conference in JR's link i heard something very interesting. Reporter asked what kind of blitzing team we were heavy or light. Chip responded with, "No, they blitz, but the one thing about them is they are very consistent through every down in terms of how often they are going to bring stuff"

Is Jim Johnson turning over in his grave?

Sean McDermott hangs his hat on the Jim Johnson bloodline and the ONE THING a Jim Johnson defense did was NOT be predictable on blitz packages.

With all the heat on Shula and Cam and Rivera, it is our Defense that has been the biggest disappointment in this stretch and they need to be held just as accountable as all of our other woes.

Johnson was very predictable about when they would blitz. If it was third down and more than 6 they were going to blitz. When you got in the redzone they were going to blitz on every down.

They often would run blitz on first and second down to get you in third and long figuring that if you ran they would throw you for a loss and if you passed they would already be blitzing you. You can count on them attacking you and overloading one side or the other.

But what could you count on from a Jim Johnson defense was a lot of man coverage off the line and safeties who tried to dislodge you from the ball with a great big hit. Players were good tacklers and food in coverage. That is why we are sucking this year. Corner play is down and tackling is a lost art. Without that Johnsons defense gets gashed by big plays.

Parcells said it best "you are what your record says you are". It feels like 3-6-1 will be their record come Veterans day. Season will be over by then for this team. Don't want to see them snesk into the playoffs somehow and get demolished. Enough embarrassment for one season.

Parcells said it best "you are what your record says you are". It feels like 3-6-1 will be their record come Veterans day. Season will be over by then for this team. Don't want to see them snesk into the playoffs somehow and get demolished. Enough embarrassment for one season.

never heard a fan say he didn't want his team in the playoffs.............never.

SMFH

You should have had me on this weeks podcast. : )

Honestly, they have a shot but it's a bit of a long shot. The Eagles O-line has been hurt with injuries (like most teams) but they are getting their center Kelce and also E. Mathis back which should help the run game if they can knock the rust off.

I do know they are focusing in Keuchly an Davis which they refer to as the dynamic duo. Good article on that here.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Offense-Preps-For-The-Dynamic-Duo-At-LB/63ea3742-0168-4b19-9538-d58f4fa79489

The Eagles just have so many weapons and the conditioning that Chip Kelly puts them through really makes them hard to beat after 4 quarters.

Regardless.....here's to a good game.

Ps... Try not to get killed in Philly

XOXO

Johnny Rockets

the question I really need answered is..................

is it Pat's or Geno's ????

Archived