• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dearest Johnny Rockets

Jeremy Igo

Which kinda makes sense when you look at the history.

Rivera's original defensive roots were in Buddy Ryan's 46 defense.

The West Coast Offense was originally created in part as a way to attack the 46.

Good point. But stopping a spread offense or a WCO doesn't really depend on your defensive alignment if you can limit YAC by tackling well in the open field and closing gaps so that you push everything to the outside. Truth is that much of the defensive problems have been poor tackling and poor gap control which will doom you against any team or offensive system.

Which kinda makes sense when you look at the history.

Rivera's original defensive roots were in Buddy Ryan's 46 defense.

The West Coast Offense was originally created in part as a way to attack the 46.

While most offensive and defensive schemes are variations of previous schemes, the West Coast Offense has been around longer than the 46 defense.  Bill Walsh used the West Coast offense at Cincinnati in the 70's, while Buddy Ryan began experimenting with the 46 defense in the early 80's.     I do agree that the West Coast offense became more widely used because of the 46 defense.

Truth is we are not very good again dink and dunk offenses. This is the kind of team we struggle with.

Yep, even if we had the 2013 D.....this would be one the worst matchups for them.

We will need Sanchize to make some mistakes and actually capitalize when he does.

Do the Panthers have a shot against the Eagles Monday night?

Penny for your thoughts....

You should have had me on this weeks podcast. : )

Honestly, they have a shot but it's a bit of a long shot. The Eagles O-line has been hurt with injuries (like most teams) but they are getting their center Kelce and also E. Mathis back which should help the run game if they can knock the rust off.

I do know they are focusing in Keuchly an Davis which they refer to as the dynamic duo. Good article on that here.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Offense-Preps-For-The-Dynamic-Duo-At-LB/63ea3742-0168-4b19-9538-d58f4fa79489

The Eagles just have so many weapons and the conditioning that Chip Kelly puts them through really makes them hard to beat after 4 quarters.

Regardless.....here's to a good game.

Ps... Try not to get killed in Philly

XOXO

Johnny Rockets

So, I've thought about this for a while.

First, this is the most healthy this panthers team has been since week 2, if ever there was a time to have a do or die, it's this time.  Bell sucks, no doubt about it, Foucault also kinda sucks (which should be a given considering he's a rookie), hopefully, we can rotate their suckitude and instead of having infinity suck, we only marginally suck at LT this game.  Our run game hopefully will look the best it has all season which will do some good for the panthers.

Secondly, We exploded on offense when Shula brought the zone read back into the offense (against the Bengals ), so the question most would ask, why would the zone read do nothing since.  It's simple really, teams have gameplanned for it.  Cinci gameplanned to try to take away our pass and could have cared less about our run, problem was cam got healthy enough for shula to dialed up some of the zone read and we were able to be dynamic on offense.  What has happened since?  Well, teams have made that part of their gameplan to focus on knowing that cam can run, and shula has decided that when something doesn't work, try it 40 more times.  Hopefully, they have realized that teams are cuing up on it, and they are absolutely killing cam.

Lastly, before I go onto this weeks game, I thought about the travesty that happened Thursday, particularly, with cam, I've wondered what the hell happened more than once.  It seemed hard to wrap my head around the fact that he regressed so dramatically so quickly.  Then a thought dawned on me.  Who did the thursday night game hurt more.  You're right, the Saints played sunday night, and you're right they went on the road, but you know what they don't have?  Cam.  I know you'll say, why is he a detriment in this situation.  Well, Cam is a runner, and takes a beating...the kind of beating a pocket passer, say a Drew Brees, doesn't take.  He ran the ball 12 times against the seahawks, and got pounded many other times because his line is trash.  That is gonna take a toll on a short week in particular, and will affect him more than it will affect Brees.  Is this an excuse for him?  No.  Is this some kind of logical explanation though why a guy who has at times looked like a top 5-top 10 QB looked like trash.  I ere on that side honestly after I've thought about this more.  Maybe I'm just pumping sunshine, but I do think the short week hurt him more than it hurt the QB on the other side of the field.

Onto the game...

Foles being injured is a big positive for the panthers.  I know he hasn't been playing lights out like he did, but I've always felt one of his biggest strengths was the ability to push the ball down the field.  He'd dink and dunk, dink and dunk, then unload for a strike 30 yards down the field.  Sanchez on the other hand, does not have the arm strength IMO to do that.  He's gonna dink and dunk all game long, but if we've seen anything from this defense, it's when we prevent the big play, we're good, so if they play underneath all game, we have the ability to force them into a few turnovers because...well...Mr buttfumble has the ability to screw up a game and push Dalton for the worst performance by a QB this week.

On the flip side, a real hard thing we'll have to deal with this week is Maclin.  This season, the panthers seem to have dealt well with the bigger, more physical receivers.  Jackson, Megatron, Jeffery, and Marshall haven't done much while the smallish receivers have obliterated us.  Maclin is a shifty guy.  Now hopefully, most of the big games that came with the shifty receivers were with Cason and White on the outside, so hopefully, getting Norman out there to deal with some of their speed might help us.  That said, I still expect Maclin to have a big game regardless of gameplan.

The Most interesting thing concerning an injury though, might not actually be Foles.  I believe the Ryans injury will hurt the defense more than anything.  DeMeco was the undisputed team leader on defense.  This would be like us losing TD on defense, what he means to the defense far outweighs the actual measurable stats he puts up.  Casey Matthews will have to step up and be the field general like a 8 year NFL vet...no simple task.

Here's my ultimate belief that this is a make or break game, and our health has started to finally return.  Sometimes, it's not about who's the better team, it's just about whos the more desperate team, and at this point, I really think that team is the panthers.  Cam has heard for a week and a half that he's not a leader, he's not worth the money, and ultimately, if he only cares about money (I don't believe so) then he knows that each passing bad game costs him a little more in the bank because his contract is gonna be negotiated in this offseason.  We finally have a full compliment on the O-line (for whatever the hell that's worth), and at running back.  I think with the heat on this receiving corps, they finally figure out how to hold onto the ball this week, and with a huge amount of heat on Shula, (like ron last season when his job was on the line), all the sudden he's gonna find his little inner daredevil and call...dare I say it...an...imaginative game.  Ultimately, I think this is the make or break it game for the panthers, win or stay home, period.  I don't want to believe this season is over yet.  Panthers 27-Eagles 23

You should have had me on this weeks podcast. : )

Honestly, they have a shot but it's a bit of a long shot. The Eagles O-line has been hurt with injuries (like most teams) but they are getting their center Kelce and also E. Mathis back which should help the run game if they can knock the rust off.

I do know they are focusing in Keuchly an Davis which they refer to as the dynamic duo. Good article on that here.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Offense-Preps-For-The-Dynamic-Duo-At-LB/63ea3742-0168-4b19-9538-d58f4fa79489

The Eagles just have so many weapons and the conditioning that Chip Kelly puts them through really makes them hard to beat after 4 quarters.

Regardless.....here's to a good game.

Ps... Try not to get killed in Philly

XOXO

Johnny Rockets

lloyd.png

Good point. But stopping a spread offense or a WCO doesn't really depend on your defensive alignment if you can limit YAC by tackling well in the open field and closing gaps so that you push everything to the outside. Truth is that much of the defensive problems have been poor tackling and poor gap control which will doom you against any team or offensive system.

I wouldn't argue that.

While most offensive and defensive schemes are variations of previous schemes, the West Coast Offense has been around longer than the 46 defense. Bill Walsh used the West Coast offense at Cincinnati in the 70's, while Buddy Ryan began experimenting with the 46 defense in the early 80's. I do agree that the West Coast offense became more widely used because of the 46 defense.

I'm talking about the WCO as implemented by Walsh with the 49ers. I agree the concepts were in Walsh's head and in use during his college coaching even before that.

I'm talking about the WCO as implemented by Walsh with the 49ers. I agree the concepts were in Walsh's head and in use during his college coaching even before that.

Walsh started running the WCO with the forty niners before Buddy Ryan became defensive coordinator at Chicago. Walsh won his first Super Bowl with the Niners in 1981/82 utilizing what eventually became known as the WCO.  He tweaked it somewhat over the years, and almost certainly in response to the success of the 46 defense, but the core of the offense was in use before Buddy Ryan started implementing the 46 defense in 1984. 

Listening to Chip Kelly's news conference in JR's link i heard something very interesting.  Reporter asked what kind of blitzing team we were heavy or light.  Chip responded with, "No, they blitz, but the one thing about them is they are very consistent through every down in terms of how often they are going to bring stuff"

Is Jim Johnson turning over in his grave?

Sean McDermott hangs his hat on the Jim Johnson bloodline and the ONE THING a Jim Johnson defense did was NOT be predictable on blitz packages.

With all the heat on Shula and Cam and Rivera, it is our Defense that has been the biggest disappointment in this stretch and they need to be held just as accountable as all of our other woes.

Walsh started running the WCO with the forty niners before Buddy Ryan became defensive coordinator at Chicago. Walsh won his first Super Bowl with the Niners in 1981/82 utilizing what eventually became known as the WCO. He tweaked it somewhat over the years, and almost certainly in response to the success of the 46 defense, but the core of the offense was in use before Buddy Ryan started implementing the 46 defense in 1984.

Ryan became the Bears DC in 1978. Walsh joined the 49ers the following year.

I agree he built it prior to that.

Archived