• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down that failed touchdown attempt....

Jeremy Igo

Is this the first time you've ever criticized Cam?

Not at all, I just support our QB to the end. I was a huge Jimmy supporter and wanted us to draft AJ Green for him. I just defend Cam so much because people go overboard on the criticism, yes he's inconsistent but he's been basically left on his own. All I know about Cam Newton is that he was a winner everywhere he's ever been except here. Of course he has that "I have to win the game myself mentality" and to me that might be his biggest flaw. But a good organization would make sure he snapped out of that by surrounding him with talent he can believe in.

Also, that INT was not on Cam. It wasn't a perfect ball, but Bersin did pretty easily get two hands on it. 90% Bersin's fault.

you gotta catch what you get both hands on. The ball was several yards off as Bersin was working back and to the left. The ball was thrown well behind his right shoulder and he had to quickly contort his entire body to try to make a play on it. 50-50 blame.

you gotta catch what you get both hands on. The ball was several yards off as Bersin was working back and to the left. The ball was thrown well behind his right shoulder and he had to quickly contort his entire body to try to make a play on it. 50-50 blame.

Several yards off? Try less than one yard. Several yards and its intercepted.

If there was a problem on the throwing end, I'd attribute more to the velocity of the throw than the placement. Looked catchable either way.

I really can't blame the velocity all that much. Middle of the field with a defender closing in. A wr should be able to grab it, a safety, not so much.

I really can't blame the velocity all that much. Middle of the field with a defender closing in. A wr should be able to grab it, a safety, not so much.

It makes a difference. For example, you could throw a lot harder pass to Kelvin Benjamin than you could Bersin. Quarterbacks tend to learn how to throw to each receiver with time and practice.

But with that said, Bersin should be very well used to how hard Newton throws the ball by this point.

Not so sure about that. Bersin showed the best hands in camp.

And arguably in the season to date, though I grant it's a small sample.

If we're talking purely about physical traits though, I'm pretty sure Benjamin's got the bigger, stronger hands.

I put more blame on Bersin than Newton for that one, but I don't think it's going to become a trend.

soooo...you agree it should have been cought yet place 1/4 of the blame on cam? OK.

Yes....It very well could have and should have been caught.  However, if Cam had put the ball on target rather than behind Bersin, he would not have needed to make a great catch reaching back for the ball.

So YES....part of it is on Cam.

This was also true on the ball that was dropped/jarred loose from Cotchery at the 8 yd line.  He could have and should have made a great catch.  However, he broke open at the 20 and the pass from Cam was late....which allowed time for the safety to got over and make the play.

Not at all, I just support our QB to the end. I was a huge Jimmy supporter and wanted us to draft AJ Green for him. I just defend Cam so much because people go overboard on the criticism, yes he's inconsistent but he's been basically left on his own. All I know about Cam Newton is that he was a winner everywhere he's ever been except here. Of course he has that "I have to win the game myself mentality" and to me that might be his biggest flaw. But a good organization would make sure he snapped out of that by surrounding him with talent he can believe in.

Right on, I don't criticize Cam much if ever and it was just the first time seeing you do it. I don't think the "have to win the game myself" mentality is necessarily a flaw of his I think it's a strength that he has that passion and wants to do all that he can to help the team win. It's the coaches' job to put the ball in whoever's hands it needs to be in to win, not Cam's. When he's got it then he should do whatever he can to win. His biggest flaw is probably touch. He rockets every ball into the receivers hands and has a tough time soaring it in there perfectly. The accuracy I'm not worried about, he's been throwing off balance all year because of how much pressure he's been in. Cam's proven he can get it done when it counts so these past couple of gams mean nothing. Can't tell you how pissed I'd be if Cam isn't here for the next decade plus.

Archived