• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down that failed touchdown attempt....

Jeremy Igo

It has been bothering me, you know, the failed touchdown where Benjamin was targeted unsuccessfully before the Gano field goal in the 4th quarter against the saints.

So why not go back and look at exactly what happens.

First down:

Cam sends Stewart out wide with three recievers. This play actually has potential. Quick out to Stewart who has three blockers in front of him. If its quick enough, I could see him pushing through, especially on the edge where KB is blocking.

post-1-0-69195600-1415028005_thumb.jpg

Instead, Cam thinks he has room to run and checks into it, never even looks Stewart's way. The line now thinking run pulls right, but its ugly. I can't tell if it is Kalil or Norwell's fault. Would need to see how the play is designed. Either Kalil did not pull fast enough, or Norwell was supposed to pull around Kalil instead of pushing him to the ground. Impossible to tell really unless we saw it drawn out on paper from the coach.

post-1-0-70208900-1415028199_thumb.jpg

Second Down:

Cam had time, made the right read with Benjamin one on one (everyone else covered including Olsen), but just made a bad throw. Good footwork, squared up threw off his front foot, just needed to be a bit higher. Was meant to be a jump ball to KB but 6'1 Keenan Lewis easily competes for it.

Third Down:

Good protection, Cam sets his feet and throws off the front, correct read to KB who was open for a TD, but just an awful throw by Cam. Way too high. Possibly overcompensates for the ball that was too low 30 seconds earlier.

Fourth Down:

Field Goal.

Looking back, this missed opportunity is mainly on Cam. The O-Line screwed the pooch on first down, but did their job on downs 2 and 3. Kelvin didn't have much of a chance where both of the balls were placed.

post-1-0-69195600-1415028005_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-70208900-1415028199_thumb.jpg

Good breakdown.

I think the lack of offseason work with his receivers due to injury is a big part of his problem.  He doesn't have the timing down with anybody (sans Olsen when he is used properly).

Another big factor is that I think Cam is skiddish in the pocket due to the ribs and the lack of trust in the O-Line (both justified, IMO).

Whatever the issues are, we should know more next Monday night.  Was it just an off game by Cam, or is he developing some troubling traits???  Next Monday should speak volumes.

The issue is, with a terrible OC, Cam has got to be damn near perfect. He is not. Not even close. He is however a dynamic QB, who is young. He needs time to put it all together, properly. Injuries, attrition and poor leadership (coaching acumen, personnel issues,etc.), have hampered that a bit. As a Panthers fan and fan of Cam, the man and player, I am almost at the point where I want the kid to move on and do well elsewhere. I am so sick of the damn drama. If we aren't going to let the kid/help the kid develop, just let him move on. All of this "he said, she said", leaked tweets, anonymous source BS is absurd. Cam has the tools, work with that. Let's all get healthy/better. We need a franchise QB. This isn't just about Cam, this is about our organization, Our city and the fans. If not let's just move on. As far as that series...ugh. 

Notice how badly the offense struggles when Olsen is NOT targeted. He is Cams safety blanket and teams now know that. Somebody else needs to emerge and Shula needs to add a new wrinkle.

Yep, would go a long way. Olsen is being taken out of he equation with attention from safeties now. KB is never double teamed. He and Cam should be able to put on a clinic with their physical skill sets.

I haven't rewatched the game so correct me if I am wrong, but on the Bersin INT it looked like he sat down in zone, then started to move right as the ball was coming out, and therefore the pass came a little to his left and bounced off his hands.

He still should have caught it

Cam is a ballhog, always has been and most of the time it works out. A coach with command of his team would make him cut that poo out and trust his teammates a little more. He's had to carry teams his whole life so as soon as the team shows any signs of incompetence he starts pressing to do everything himself. Been doing it since day 1.

I haven't rewatched the game so correct me if I am wrong, but on the Bersin INT it looked like he sat down in zone, then started to move right as the ball was coming out, and therefore the pass came a little to his left and bounced off his hands.

He still should have caught it

Greg Cosell broke that play down on Friday and said Bersin started moving to the right because the timing of the play ended and the ball was thrown to him late. 

Archived