• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teal over Godfrey?

SCpanther

Because some players don't translate to the same position and are better equipped for another.

Teal was playing against second and third stringers, this was one preseason game. Why are fans so f**king hasty? Damn one preseason game and people need to be benched after starting an entire season.

Teal picked off a third string QB staring down a receiver and throwing against the grain. That is an easy play, it doesn't make him Ed Reed. I do love how his 28 games were rationalized to seem like he has had playing time. He has 25 tackles in those 28 games from special teams and one start.

Save the "bench ________" threads for when they are actually playing real games. This is preaseason, to say that starters are playing all out is crazy.

Peppers didn't do anything, lets bench him.

I'd guess it's probably because people have been wanting a least a decent FS here for so long that patience for watching Godfrey struggle through another season is pretty low.

I agree though. He looked really bad, but so did 3/4 of our defense. I'll worry after preseason.

Because some players don't translate to the same position and are better equipped for another.

Teal was playing against second and third stringers, this was one preseason game. Why are fans so f**king hasty? Damn one preseason game and people need to be benched after starting an entire season.

Teal picked off a third string QB staring down a receiver and throwing against the grain. That is an easy play, it doesn't make him Ed Reed. I do love how his 28 games were rationalized to seem like he has had playing time. He has 25 tackles in those 28 games from special teams and one start.

Save the "bench ________" threads for when they are actually playing real games. This is preaseason, to say that starters are playing all out is crazy.

Peppers didn't do anything, lets bench him.

some do....Godfrey looked horrific last year in the change an position if we are honest about our team. Godfrey doesn't have any real prior success for people to fall back on in his defense. I think that position should still be evaluated and not locked up.

People are always too hard on Pep b/c he has a history of doing some amazing things on the field......and people assume it should occur every week.

Big difference in those bashing Godfrey and Pep. imo.

My opinion...

Godfrey flat out lacks the fundamentals needed to be a safety. Have you noticed that he always tried to tackle with his head, never using his arms or body. He never wraps up defenders. He looks like a girl scout out there sometimes. In the first series against the Giants he blew two tackles.

Teal has better size, better tackling, and a better ability to jump a route. Fox likes Teal, and I would not be surprised to see him get more playing time. I agree that at this point, Teal should be 1st on the depth chart.

So will Teal starting and Godfrey at nickel be better than Godfrey starting and any of our other backup CBs at nickel?

Godfrey was a corner anyways in college. I think he should be considered at nickel, but so should our 2nd rounder this year and maybe even Wesley. I am just not impressed with Godfrey at all, and hope we don't start him just because of our investment in him.

Are we talking individual talents or positions here

Cause you can be extremely talented and still dont fit in the position the coaches want you at as opposed to your natural position

Skill wise they are about the same but Godfrey is faster,Better tackler and more of a ballhawk. Not that till is not.... He's just better.

Skill wise they are about the same but Godfrey is faster,Better tackler and more of a ballhawk. Not that till is not.... He's just better.

Godfrey is not a better tackler. He may be one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen. Watch a game or two, and you will see that. If a player is in the open field with only Godfrey to beat, its 6 points every time.

With the recent injury to Godfrey, I really hope they go with Teal now. Honestly, would you rather have Godfrey playing with a cast, or a healthy Teal? Godfrey's tackling has already been suspect, so I wouldn't want him out there with an impairment that might make it even worse. Let's just hope Teal can handle the position, because it's likely he'll play at least the first game or two.

To be completely honest with you, when I made the Cherry thread, Teal came in my mind and I forgot about him

Me personally, I definitely liked what I saw. He has speed and instincts. I liked the pick, and the blitz. Good thread, definitely would like to know what others thought too

I'm iffy on Godfrey, I haven't seen much from him. Haven't heard much about him in camp either. Not a good sign

I think the team should let Godfrey develop as a CB (his college position). He has good coverage skills and speed, but he's been so-so as a Safety. I'm not a big fan of playing guys out of position where they've excelled anyway, though I know it happens all the time. Like someone said earlier (and this maybe due to the new scheme also), Fox made have made an error here.

The problem with Godfrey is the problem with our secondary right now. They are not staying disciplined, flowing to the ball and wrapping players up after the catch. Meek's system relies on those elements. Last year was under a different system so they aren't comparable. Godfrey isn't going anywhere but Meeks will likely go with the guys he thinks are doing the best job. Teal has a great chance to impress a coach who has no history with anyone else and hopefully both Godfrey and Teal rise to the occasion.

Archived