• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teal over Godfrey?

SCpanther

I understand both arguments and with that said every position should be an open competition and in reality they aren't. When DeAngelo was outplaying Foster Fox never made a change, on the other hand when Ricky Manning was outplaying Reggie Howard he did. I think it will take much more than a good showing in a preseason game to unseat Godfrey. I like Teal, he is good in coverage and he plays the run really well, in fact, he is the most complete and balanced safety we have on the team. In an ideal world Fox would get creative and bring Teal in on passing downs for Harris and running downs for Godfrey. I would keep Godfrey and Harris in the base package but I would bring Teal in the game in certain situations.

Secondaries look like poo when the defensive line doesn't do much.

so a weak pass rush is why our S Godfrey tackles like a girl? Those two back to back plays looked like I was asked to play S and go make a tackle....

so a weak pass rush is why our S Godfrey tackles like a girl? Those two back to back plays looked like I was asked to play S and go make a tackle....

im pretty sure you could have did better than that......bc he lost all fudamentals on them 2 plays.why not put him back at corner, and put sherrod back at safety.

I understand both arguments and with that said every position should be an open competition and in reality they aren't. When DeAngelo was outplaying Foster Fox never made a change, on the other hand when Ricky Manning was outplaying Reggie Howard he did. I think it will take much more than a good showing in a preseason game to unseat Godfrey. I like Teal, he is good in coverage and he plays the run really well, in fact, he is the most complete and balanced safety we have on the team. In an ideal world Fox would get creative and bring Teal in on passing downs for Harris and running downs for Godfrey. I would keep Godfrey and Harris in the base package but I would bring Teal in the game in certain situations.

I really like that idea FDF! Rep for you.

I do disagree with one thing though and that is that Fox was correct in not starting Williams over Foster and if my memory is correct Williams agreed with that decision. I think it was that Williams was still not getting the blocking assignments down and was also struggling with the blocking itself. At that point in time the o-line was really struggling and to start a back that was a liability in pass blocking wasn't an option.

In my opinion if Teal is the better option then he will start but you really can not just base it soley on what you "see" on the field. Sometimes there is a lot more that goes into those decisions like the situation I discribed above.

I really like that idea FDF! Rep for you.

I do disagree with one thing though and that is that Fox was correct in not starting Williams over Foster and if my memory is correct Williams agreed with that decision. I think it was that Williams was still not getting the blocking assignments down and was also struggling with the blocking itself. At that point in time the o-line was really struggling and to start a back that was a liability in pass blocking wasn't an option.

In my opinion if Teal is the better option then he will start but you really can not just base it soley on what you "see" on the field. Sometimes there is a lot more that goes into those decisions like the situation I discribed above.

Thanks and you made a great point about the Foster and Williams deal. This could be the same kinda issue with Teal but who knows for sure. I'd like to see them put Teal in with the first teamers for a few snaps and see how he holds up. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Lehman, Favorite, and Beavers jumped some spots on the depth chart while Hayden, Carter, and Schwartz dropped a few.

I love how not long ago many were saying Teal should be cut to make room for The Captain or one of the extra CB's, and now, after getting some pub from the local rags and playing well against backups, he's being touted as the should be starter. The fickleness on this board greatly amuses me.

I love how not long ago many were saying Teal should be cut to make room for The Captain or one of the extra CB's, and now, after getting some pub from the local rags and playing well against backups, he's being touted as the should be starter. The fickleness on this board greatly amuses me.

Oh yes shame on us for saying a player who had never seen a snap in a game for us was expendable.

You have to remember also this guy wasn't in our training camp at all last year and even then he never dressed for a game. Didn't join us till after the last cuts so he didn't get to impress and progress in our system. Now he has the chance and he is taken advantage. "Please Sir can I have some more Teal?"

Well, I never said he should be cut. I don't know if you were referring to me but I started the thread. I also didn't say he should start. I said I'd like to see him get some time with the ones, and that if he continues to impress then maybe he should be given the nod over Godfrey, who shouldn't exactly be one of the guys who's roster spot is untouchable.

Archived