• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top T's have been busting lately

MedellinHeel

Interesting that Anthony Collins (who everyone thought we should throw a truckload of money at) is ranked 61st, Michael oher (who we had to sign ASAP, give him what he wants!!1) is 69th, Seantrel Henderson (ugghhhh couldn't we have drafted him in the 6th!!) is 68th, Anthony Munoz err James Hurst is 64th, and Morgan Moses (he was a steal in the 3rd round!!!1) isn't even on the list because he can't beat out Tyler Polumbus who is 63rd and has given up almost as many sacks as chandler and bell put together.

it couldn't be that some of them are rookies could it.........

Slight correction, Collins is the player the team offered a pretty decent contract to..so it was our staff who wanted him too apparently. But yeah like any position it's really a shot in the dark.

Lewan has been doing well and for a rookie, James has been good even though he's slightly in the red.

But yeah those top guys haven't been that sharp.

I've heard conflicting sources on whether we offered Collins a contract or not, either way his play hadn't been what you would expect for a big $ FA. Lewan and James were long off the board before we picked.

My point is that the regular bemoaning of the tackle position has been hinging on the fact that those guys who I mentioned were all names who come up every day and were supposed to be evidence that gettleman "missed" all of these talents which at this point look to only be small upgrades at best for a bigger investment (other than hurst).

it couldn't be that some of them are rookies could it.........

I've read every week from the assistant GMs that post here that all of those guys are better and would be starting right away for us. And that we should have committed more resources to get those guys. So you're telling me that if we took Morgan Moses in round 2 and he had only played six snaps that people here would play the "he's just a rookie, let's be patient" card? I doubt it.

Meanwhile every week I see people going off left and right that kony ealy is a bust when he is actually on the field and showing some promise.

Was looking at PFF's T grades and some big names in the draft are at the bottom of the rankings.

Luke Joeckel (59th) -9

Eric Fisher (65th) -14

Matt Kalil (71st) -25

Jake Mathews (72nd) -31 *Dead Last*

Knew Lane Johnson was gonna be a beast. Had some great tape.

CcXd74S.png

ypGUhWG.png

Next years draft will be interesting for us. We can not afford to miss on our T selection. We need to do some great evaluations and at least get a serviceable starting RT. Preferably LT though.

That chart is pretty much saying don't reach for need. Like Gettleman said when you reach you get burned.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

What exactly is Matt Kalil's problem anyway? Is he bad because he's just busting out or is it because the Vikings are a crap team and he can't thrive with no talent around him? He had a good rookie season, the Vikings were able to make the playoffs, and then he battled injuries last year and has been underwhelming as a player since.

I have a hard time just thinking all of these guys are absolutely horrid. I also feel like if they're underachieving, it may very well play into our hands as you know Gettleman likes to bring in guys that can prove themselves on lesser deals. So for instance if the Vikings feel like they're not getting their ROI on Kalil and want to cut him outright after 3 seasons, we can pick him up on a modest deal and worst case scenario he'll be a backup tackle that isn't taking up a great deal of cash. I mean saying you have a fourth overall pick at backup OT is better than saying you have David Foucault as a backup OT

Anyway, I've always been of the belief that protecting your QB's blindside is more complex than "put best tackle there". For one, you'd probably also want your best guard playing closer to the blindside as well.

Left tackle is one of the few positions on the field I would be happy to see the team pay a top 3 positional salary to.

Hopefully DG will continue to make wise decisions and once we clean up some of the previous bad contracts we will be in the position to do so if the opportunity arises.

Many people will not remember this but Jordan Gross didn't start full time at left tackle until 2008. I mean he did in that dumpster fire of a season in 2004 and it didn't work out. Even if these guys aren't great LTs, perhaps they can contribute if shifted to the right side

I've read every week from the assistant GMs that post here that all of those guys are better and would be starting right away for us. And that we should have committed more resources to get those guys. So you're telling me that if we took Morgan Moses in round 2 and he had only played six snaps that people here would play the "he's just a rookie, let's be patient" card? I doubt it.

Meanwhile every week I see people going off left and right that kony ealy is a bust when he is actually on the field and showing some promise.

those are just opinions, i have no gripe against ealy, he's a rookie and will need time to get use to the nfl like almost all de's, but i will argue that i don't think he could benefit this team right away like others available at our 2nd round pick.

if someone doesn't understand that OT and de are some of the hardest position for rookies to succeed at i have no words for them, they shouldn't be watching football

Archived