• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Norwell video

Jeremy Igo

At no point in our draft were tackles the BPA. That's just the reality. None of the tackles from the draft (other than Lewan, Robinson, Matthews, etc. which we had no shot at) have even played well. Hurst has been just as bad as our guys. Henderson is the only one and even he hasn't been that great and he was a major risk with character issues - guys JR doesn't go for.

I agree, but my statement was based on conjecture in April, not October.  You are throwing current knowledge into the mix.  When you mention how good/bad Hurst has been, tell me, did you think he would go in the third or fourth in May?  Most people did.  However, the draft unfolded where the Tackles were gone, but at the time, some liked Turner, Moses, etc.  And you have to consider the opportunity to trade up or down--you have to admit, some teams liked the value of the tackles because about 20 were drafted.

I agree, but my statement was based on conjecture in April, not October. You are throwing current knowledge into the mix. When you mention how good/bad Hurst has been, tell me, did you think he would go in the third or fourth in May? Most people did. However, the draft unfolded where the Tackles were gone, but at the time, some liked Turner, Moses, etc. And you have to consider the opportunity to trade up or down--you have to admit, some teams liked the value of the tackles because about 20 were drafted.

Yes and what was done was based on the proffesional scout/GM Gettleman's evaluations. I trust his opinions in the draft process. He didn't ignore OT as he tried to sign Anthony Collins. There literally wasn't anything we could do.

Yes and what was done was based on the proffesional scout/GM Gettleman's evaluations. I trust his opinions in the draft process. He didn't ignore OT as he tried to sign Anthony Collins. There literally wasn't anything we could do.

It sure did not unfold well if T was in the mix.

That is what I thought too, until you think it through from other perspectives---If Rivera had not placed false hope in Bell and Chandler, we would have addressed it--a franchise qb getting killed to save a few salary cap bucks is not worth it.

Not franchising Hardy would have been the way to go--and that $$ could have gone a long way in protecting Cam.  We could have 2 tackles with that money and probably found a solid free agent WR.  (If you think I am using 20/20 hindsight, I have been saying it for a long time).  We had Alexander (4 game susp) Addison, Johnson, and Horton.  Of course, we realize now how important Hardy seems to have been, but at the time, it seems to me that one player at a loaded position that could free $13m would be a cap saving move--protect your QB and find a way to get production out of the other three DEs.

People will say, "See how much we miss Hardy?  That is why we are losing now?"  However, recently, the front 7 seems to be on point and the offense is terrible.  Where would we be with a free agent LT ($9m), and a decent RT ($4m)? 

If I am the GM, and I thought my best player would be in danger with terrible OTs, I would not pour 10% of my cap into a DE.  That move, plus the fact that we did not draft a T, suggests to me (I stated it as a concern) that Gettlemen was under the impression (remember RR's praise of Bell's left handedness and Chandler possibly winning the LT job) that T was not as big a need as G or DE. 

I think the Panthers thought Greg Hardy would help them stay in the top 3 defenses in the league. They thought the defense would help the offense. The funny thing is the pendelum swings back and forth. Three weeks ago we were hoping our defense could give us just enough to let Cam outscore the other team. We put up 30+ points in back to back weeks.

They probably thought having an elite defense and a mediocre offense could win in 2014. Which is very very flawed.

Yes, it certainly was.... but at this point I am just shocked when our line does something it is designed to do!

Ha true! It's amazing actually using a guy on the line who was a college long starter from a major program.  

Just throwing it out there...he has played both tackle positions before. 

hurst and henderson have both sucked so i fail to see why their names keep getting brought up

since the huddle's current fixation is rabble rabble why did gettledouche think rookies who aren't talented enough to be drafted can protect cam's blindside it's interesting to see two UDFA rookies (correction one of them is a 7th rounder) as a suggested solution to that problem

the word in Baltimore is not that Hurst has sucked . As a rookie the obvious struggle would be consistency and that has been the case so far. The talent  is there and Baltimore recognizes that and is looking to Hurst for the future. That is why his name comes up .

Im not even focusing on what others are keying in on

That fake read option handoff needs to stop. If cam would have just did a 4-5 step drop instead of that right there he would have clearly had enough room to scan and step fully into a throw. Instead on this play his feet is planted and he's relying solely on his arm. By the time he actually throws, there's his lineman and defensive lineman right there in his face. Clear example why his accuracy has been off. Yes that's coaching. Can't even blame oline. Other teams by the time Cam backed into the 25 yard line, ball coming out

Archived