• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Norwell video

Jeremy Igo

I am concerned that RR plays favorites and is not a good evaluator of talent.  The way he promoted Bell and Chandler, for example, is one reason Gettlemen went G instead of T in the draft.

We went G because Trai Turner could start this season and fit our scheme. The entire Panthers organization knew going in Bell and Chandler were not great tackles. It wasn't playing favorites, it was saving Cap space.

Yes, it certainly was.... but at this point I am just shocked when our line does something it is designed to do!

Agreed.  The biggest problem is that 3 our of the 5 guys starting can not be trusted to block anyone one on one.  Chandler did on that play very well but I've seen him whiff on so many blocks, it's not even funny.  Kalil is easily good enough and I think Norwell can be trusted even though there is a limited sample size. 

Everyone else needs help so someone is always getting beat or pushed back.

Amidst the sky is falling talk that is The huddle currently, we have some good things to look at moving forward. Norwell is looking good, Norman is too, and Stewart is running angry. The defense is starting to pick their game up a bit but the offense needs to get going to give them a rest. Everyone needs to chill out, we aren't some dynasty, we are building still.

Looks to me like that's by design.  You see Kalil shade the inside shoulder so Norwell can take the center/right and help out Foucault.  It's like a moving wall with parts that shift towards where the defensive linemen are going.

Chandler handles his man one on one very well.  Fernando gets pushing right into Cam's lap.

All that being said I really love Norwell and do think he and Turner are our best guards and bode well for the future.

That being said, it was a patented Shula long developing play and cam threw the ball nearly 4 seconds after it was snapped...

So, you know, it will happen eventually. 

Norwell did great, and is a steal as an UDFA.  I honestly didn't think Foucault got blown up like I expected him to, and from time to time, looked like an upgrade over Bell if even just because of his youth and athletic ability.  Im glad Fouc is here honestly, he's the only Tackle I'd like to keep in the offseason, atleast to be depth for whatever tackle we hopefully bring in.  Interior of the line, aside from Khalil, is young and developing and I like the direction they're going now.

Stop. Gettleman's philosophy is BPA. What good value tackle was available in the 3rd round? None.

And are you under the impression that he had only the third round to draft a T?  He could have taken Hurst and a number of other players who are on rosters at any time during the draft.  If he really thought we had a need, he would have. 

You can say BPA all you want, but a GM that ignores need is a fool. Need is not the only criterion, but it is a big one.  Did you think we were not drafting a WR early if there were better players on the board?  It was no secret we went WR, and the reason that was not a secret was NEED.  If you really think BPA is the only rule, we would have drafted 4 RBs.

Where did you hear that?  One could have argued that we needed guards as badly if not worse than the tackle spot.  Turner was a great pick and it's much easier to find quality guards than tackles.  G-man did say that after the top 3-4 tackles there was no one that was better than what was already on our roster. 

Rivera's offseason comments to the press--he sang Bell's praises and then said Chandler and he were competing for the LT spot--loser getting RT.  You assume there was something there if he is making comments like that.  We had a second-rounder and a fourth rounder and Williams returning from the IR.  We had Bell, and Chandler (a G) at T.  At that time, I would not have said G was a bigger need.

And are you under the impression that he had only the third round to draft a T?  He could have taken Hurst and a number of other players who are on rosters at any time during the draft.  If he really thought we had a need, he would have. 

You can say BPA all you want, but a GM that ignores need is a fool. Need is not the only criterion, but it is a big one.  Did you think we were not drafting a WR early if there were better players on the board?  It was no secret we went WR, and the reason that was not a secret was NEED.  If you really think BPA is the only rule, we would have drafted 4 RBs.

At no point in our draft were tackles the BPA. That's just the reality. None of the tackles from the draft (other than Lewan, Robinson, Matthews, etc. which we had no shot at) have even played well. Hurst has been just as bad as our guys. Henderson is the only one and even he hasn't been that great and he was a major risk with character issues - guys JR doesn't go for.

hurst and henderson have both sucked so i fail to see why their names keep getting brought up

since the huddle's current fixation is rabble rabble why did gettledouche think rookies who aren't talented enough to be drafted can protect cam's blindside it's interesting to see two UDFA rookies (correction one of them is a 7th rounder) as a suggested solution to that problem

We went G because Trai Turner could start this season and fit our scheme. The entire Panthers organization knew going in Bell and Chandler were not great tackles. It wasn't playing favorites, it was saving Cap space.

That is what I thought too, until you think it through from other perspectives---If Rivera had not placed false hope in Bell and Chandler, we would have addressed it--a franchise qb getting killed to save a few salary cap bucks is not worth it.

Not franchising Hardy would have been the way to go--and that $$ could have gone a long way in protecting Cam.  We could have 2 tackles with that money and probably found a solid free agent WR.  (If you think I am using 20/20 hindsight, I have been saying it for a long time).  We had Alexander (4 game susp) Addison, Johnson, and Horton.  Of course, we realize now how important Hardy seems to have been, but at the time, it seems to me that one player at a loaded position that could free $13m would be a cap saving move--protect your QB and find a way to get production out of the other three DEs.

People will say, "See how much we miss Hardy?  That is why we are losing now?"  However, recently, the front 7 seems to be on point and the offense is terrible.  Where would we be with a free agent LT ($9m), and a decent RT ($4m)? 

If I am the GM, and I thought my best player would be in danger with terrible OTs, I would not pour 10% of my cap into a DE.  That move, plus the fact that we did not draft a T, suggests to me (I stated it as a concern) that Gettlemen was under the impression (remember RR's praise of Bell's left handedness and Chandler possibly winning the LT job) that T was not as big a need as G or DE. 

Archived