• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tempo

Jeremy Igo

It's not just Shula man. There were plenty of times that Cam had a ton of time to throw, even on third downs, and he's making the wrong read, a bad throw, or just not getting the ball out fast enough. Blame goes all the way around - the entire offense is bad. There's nothing to be hopeful about. At least the defense isn't getting steamrolled anymore and games might look closer than they should.

I didn't see open WRS yesterday, I did see a ton of drops. Cam is going to hold on to the ball because he doesn't trust his guys, and I wouldn't either. He's trying to do too much, but I can't blame him.

While standing on the sidelines last night near the Saints bench, I looked over at Sean Payton who was reading his large play card, looking over which plays to call next.

On top of the card in hand written bold red letters and underlined was the word "TEMPO".

I thought to myself, yes, that is it. That is a big part of what distinguishes the explosive Saints offense from the slovenly Panthers offense. It's the tempo. Yesterday we saw Thomas Davis blitz and get to Drew Brees immediately after the ball was snapped. Unfortunately, Brees had already checked down that blitz and threw a completion within less than one second.

Fast forward to the fourth quarter when Cam Newton, under heavy pressure, is forced to wait for four entire seconds while his receivers run long, slow developing ineffective routes. Routes that the defensive players were actually running for them. The result? A feeding frenzy for the Saints defense featuring Cam Newton as the main course.

Sadly, it is too late to fix this issue this season. An up-tempo aspect of the passing game is something that has to be implemented in May during OTA's and practiced throughout training camp. Remember all of those comments and tweets about how dreadfully long each passing play took to develop this offseason? How every other pass completion would in reality be a sack? It is painfully obvious now that what we were then witnessing then is now one of many big issues with Mike Shula's offense.

yes you're right Jeremy. However, this is Ron Riveras offense too. Until we rid ourselves of both of these guys, this is likely to be what we see. It's all about time of possession. That's why we always wait till there is about 2 seconds left on the clock before hiking the ball. I believe Rivera and Shula are so worried about the Time of possession that they have become narrow-minded and refuse to change and do what's best to put points on the board. This season is likely over. Let's pray that DG cuts ties with them both and brings in a person that will finally give Cam and the offense what they need, offensive creativity and tempo.

My opinion is that Shula's ass needs to gtfo, gettleman was arrogant thinking he could pull together a ragtag o line, but otherwise I like his moves and we do need some consistency going forward. Cam would reap benefits from a solid oline.

I would love an offensive guru HC, I mean with McDermott what does Ron really do?

Last year we had an identity, we don't have that this year, and I've lost faith in the coaching staff to get that back.

When Cam gets sacked I like to pause the game right when he finishes his drop back. There is usually a slew of rushers attacking the line and then about 10-15 yards of green. His receivers aren't even in the picture. That would normally be were the running backs and tight ends go. But they are helping the line.

What happened to the 5 yard completion? When are we going to adjust? What happened to the crossing route? Running back into the flat? We have to get some quick and easy yards in the passing game. We can't send three receivers vs. 5 dbs on every play. 

Yup

There is one speed this offense runs on and it's SLOW. One tempo for every game, every opponent. And we wonder why the offense sucks

I've always wondered why we take so long for each play. Deep into the play clock continuously cam clapping like crazy using TOs to avoid delay of game penalties. Shula must be up there throwing darts at his play book on the wall for the next play. Good OC have an idea what their gonna do next not Shula he's looking for more darts. And I've never understood when we actually have a defense tired and on the ropes. I swear I think we wait for them to get prepared before we even line up. The whole offensive scheme is wrong for the personal we have

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I've always wondered why we take so long for each play. Deep into the play clock continuously cam clapping like crazy using TOs to avoid delay of game penalties. Shula must be up there throwing darts at his play book on the wall for the next play. Good OC have an idea what their gonna do next not Shula he's looking for more darts. And I've never understood when we actually have a defense tired and on the ropes. I swear I think we wait for them to get prepared before we even line up. The whole offensive scheme is wrong for the personal we have

This is also something Zod warned us about Shula before he even called his first game here. Players were extremely frustrated in Tampa with how long he took to get the play called, leaving them no time for adjustments at the line.

It's absolutely frustrating to see how slow this offense runs

I think New Orleans did something to the effect of what you meant by going in for the kill while the defense is on the ropes. It was on the first Cooks touchdown against Green Bay I noticed it. I think they'd just gotten a first down near the goal line, play ends, and before the defense could catch their breath Brees is back behind center and running an end around to Cooks. He fuging just blew by everybody on that play.

This is also something Zod warned us about Shula before he even called his first game here. Players were extremely frustrated in Tampa with how long he took to get the play called, leaving them no time for adjustments at the line.

Once again people talk about how bad our line is but cam nor Kalil have time to make adjustments to it. I really think people would be shocked how better this team moved if Shula was removed with someone more competent.

Archived