• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is going on? Cam's QB rating keeps getting worse this season: 100.2, 98.5, 94.9, 84.8, 85.8, 72.6, 61.0, 45.2 (tonight)

gettlemanjack

Injuries have crippled this offense. No line. Olsen has to block every play now. We seem to pass to the sidelines way too often...long throws. KB being a rookie. Asking Cotch and Bersin to step up but they lack the talent to do so. Shula- lol

We never call anything underneath. No outlets. Nothing short and simple.

I hate this offensive scheme.

I wish I could like this even more.

Injuries have crippled this offense. No line. Olsen has to block every play now. We seem to pass to the sidelines way too often...long throws. KB being a rookie. Asking Cotch and Bersin to step up but they lack the talent to do so. Shula- lol

We never call anything underneath. No outlets. Nothing short and simple.

I hate this offensive scheme.

I wish I could like this even more.

Cam is a bigger part of the problem than too many want to realize. He has too many bad habits. He appears at times to be moving past them only to revert back to them. Everyone wants to blame the problems on everyone and everything except Cam. It's tough to admit that your team screwed up, but it's becoming painfully obvious.

Maybe not every game but tonight was more about Cam Newton failing then anyone else.

The OL did its job. The RB's did their job. The D got turnovers. The ST got decent or better field position.

10 pts at least from Newton mistakes by my quick recollection.

Bersin dropped a ball that got picked off in the redzone. Cotchery dropped a ball on the 3 yard line, KB dropped a pass in the end zone. And our best receiving threat was used as a blocker most of the game. If the line was "doing their job" Greg Olsen wouldn't have to stay in to block.

There is no way in hell you can fairly judge Cam with the mess surrounding him.

Bersin dropped a ball that got picked off in the redzone. Cotchery dropped a ball on the 3 yard line, KB dropped a pass in the end zone. And our best receiving threat was used as a blocker most of the game. If the line was "doing their job" Greg Olsen wouldn't have to stay in to block.

Agree so much. 

TE's are not strictly pass catchers in this league.  They're not.  Some run mostly pass routes but most of the ones at the level of Olsen contribute much more then running routes.  Even Antonio Gates blocks and Gronk probably blocks better then anyone would believe.  The There is nothing wrong with the TE blocking.

And I don't recall the drops enough in detail to go on and on about it but I will say that the drop by Cotchery at the 3 was a little over thrown and the Bersins INT was not a very easy catch.

when he wasn't allowed to run, he was more focused as a passer and excelled at it. Everyone bitched to release him and now that he is allowed to run he can't throw nearly as well. Of course there are other factors and he's probably scared of getting hit after 2sec as someone pointed out in a different thread and its making him paranoid. idk i think cams good but its just a combination of everything. drops, poor opine, shitty OC. Too many things to fix 

When Cam wasn't running, it was OK because our OL was healthy. They started getting taken advantage of once DC's got film on us and knew the weak link on our OL (left side entirely and right edge) in pass protection. They started blitzing more heavily, realizing Cam couldn't run. Then Cam get healthy...but the OL was decimated. Now he seems to be pretty healthy, if not 100%, and Kalil is the only good player on our OL, particularly in pass pro (though I like Norwell for his run blocking).

What makes more sense, people. Cam miraculously got worse in the span of a couple weeks, or the circumstances around him got worse?

Know what I (and EVERY OC in the league) would do with the type of OL we rolled out last night? I'd do a LOT of slants, drags, and other quick routes and short route combinations to compensate for shoddy pass protection. I'd try to get a rhythm and move methodically. I'd take a few deep shots off play action, and I would make sure that our run game was the primary focus. Nothing cute. Wider splits up front to open the natural lanes. Get me 4 yards a pop when I need it. 

Know what Shula did? Motioned Cotchery to tailback in the pistol and ran triple option out of it (which gives away the play entirely, resulting in it not working). He also ran nothing but 15-30 yard routes with the exception of like, two slants and a couple screens. He is unimaginative, unbalanced, and inconsistent in everything he calls. He has a few good calls a game, and he's typically good on the opening drive, because that drive is scripted. After that, he sucks. Why? Because he cannot adjust. He cannot take what the defense is giving him. He is going to run what he wants to run, success be damned. Get 30 yards or get 2. That's his philosophy. Get yards in chunks. That's why we struggle in the redzone. The guy has no short game. We're not big or healthy enough up front right now to run power inside the 10 unless we catch the defense out of position, yet he keeps trying.

Cam had a bad game, yes. What some of you need to quit looking at is the fact that he did and start looking at the reasons WHY he did. Sure, his mechanics started taking a step back...because he's having Velasco pushed into his lap and he's having to chunk everything 20-30 yards down field. It's sort of like asking a center fielder in baseball to pitch all of a sudden. You're asking a guy whose throwing mechanics have been "deep ball" all game to all of a sudden hit a window lower and closer to him. That is why he was overthrowing a bit.

Or just ignore all of this and hate him, and forget the fact that this wasn't a problem a few weeks ago.

Archived