• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF info I found interesting

Jeremy Igo

PFF lists 34 Offensive Tackles that have played at least 75% of the snaps so far this season.

Chandler ranks #29 among them.

Bell is next to last at #33, just above Matt Kali. 

On the Panthers squad, the lowest rated offensive line members? Chandler and Bell

The highest rated offensive line member? Kalil, with the only positive ranking

Highest rated guards? Rookies Turner and Norwell. (Great news for the future)

Also, Foucault is our highest rated tackle with 72 snaps under his belt, but keep in mind a ton of those snaps were against Pittsburgh and Greenbay where he was up against second and third string defender.

Remember this when people are screaming for a 1st round LT next draft, they are NOT sure-fire home-runs.. Kalil was a top 3 selection, Greg Robinson already looks like Poo in St. Louis & Luke Joeckel and Eric Fischer might already be on their way out.. drafting a "Franchise Left Tackle" in the first round is hard, especially if you fall in love because of a need rather than the player

Heres a study from 2012 indicating that only first round DEs have less success (meassured in Pro Bowls) than OTs

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-22/nfl-draft-2012-first-round-disappointments

Remember this when people are screaming for a 1st round LT next draft, they are NOT sure-fire home-runs.. Kalil was a top 3 selection, Greg Robinson already looks like Poo in St. Louis & Luke Joeckel and Eric Fischer might already be on their way out.. drafting a "Franchise Left Tackle" in the first round is hard, especially if you fall in love because of a need rather than the player

Heres a study from 2012 indicating that only first round DEs have less success (meassured in Pro Bowls) than OTs

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-22/nfl-draft-2012-first-round-disappointments

Huh?  From all I have heard, Greg Robinson has played extremely well so far in St. Louis.  He didn't start right away but once he got onto the field looked like the real deal.

Passing on an OT you like in the 1st round just because it isn't a guaranteed home run is moronic.  Trust your board.  Trust your scouts.  Trust your evaluation.  If you like an OT enough that you believe he is worth a high draft selection then you take him.  What you don't do is take an OT "just because" but that applies to every position.  As far as Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel, I never felt they were worth top 5 picks.  I wasn't a fan of Joeckel pre-draft due to his lousy footwork, I didn't think he would translate well to the pro game.  And Fisher going #1 is one of my biggest head scratchers.  

This upcoming draft is going to be excellent for OT/OL in general, both up top and in depth.  I'm a huge fan of Andrus Peat and Cedric Ogbuehi.  La'el Collins is an outstanding OG prospect too. 

Also, the reason why left tackle is drafted so high isn't so much because it is far and away more important than other positions (because that isn't true) but because to find a good to great one is a lot more difficult than it is other positions excluding quarterback and MAYBE cornerback (the most inconsistent position in the NFL).  A consistent left tackle who year in and year out is top 10 isn't typically going to be found in the 2nd-5th round unless you just want depth and this Panthers team needs more than just depth at left tackle.

Just to prove it, lets look at the best tackles in the NFL and see where they were drafted:

Joe Thomas - Round 1, Pick 3

Trent Williams - Round 1, Pick 4

Tyron Smith - Round 1, Pick 9

Jason Peters - Undrafted (ONLY because he was an oversized tight end in college; he is 1st round easy if they play him at OT at Arkansas)

Joe Staley - Round 1, Pick 28

Nate Solder - Round 1, Pick 17

Eugene Monroe - Round 1, Pick 8 (wasn't the best in Jacksonville, albeit not bad, but has balled out in Baltimore)

Jake Long - Round 1, Pick 1

Cordy Glenn - Round 2, Pick 41

Michael Roos - Round 2, Pick 41

Duane Brown - Round 1, Pick 26

Branden Albert - Round 1, Pick 15

Russell Okung (very good when he actually plays) - Round 1, Pick 6

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (I haven't heard a lot about him lately though, but once upon a time he was a very good player) - Round 1, Pick 4

Now, if you all want to rely on finding our future starter at LT in rounds 2-5, then I wish you good luck.  But a consistently good left tackle is hard to find in the NFL.  There isn't a large pool of guys good enough to do it.  Your best bet is in round 1 or if you are feeling lucky in the top 10 of the second round.  

Archived