• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just replace a few words....

Jeremy Igo

http://www.sptimes.com/News/110299/news_pf/Sports/Bucs_say_it_s_the_pla.shtml

Bucs say it's the play, not the plays

By RICK STROUD

© St. Petersburg Times, published November 2, 1999

TAMPA -- Bucs offensive coordinator Mike Shula will continue to call the plays. Even as fans call for his head.

Although nothing seems to be going right for Tampa Bay's offense, there is nothing wrong with the man responsible for it, coach Tony Dungy said Monday.

The 34-year-old Shula is in the crosshairs after his offense extended its streak to eight quarters without a touchdown. Tampa Bay is 27th overall in total offense, 29th in passing offense and 29th in points.

Dungy said he did not feel compelled to publicly play a little defense for Shula.

"I don't feel the need to do that," Dungy said. "I know it's human nature. The head coach, the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator -- that's who comes under scrutiny.

"We've got a good staff, they do a good job, they prepare. We've scored points this way, we've made plays. Right now we're not. We've scored over 20 points once and we've got some good offensive players. It's hard to figure out. But it's not going in unprepared. I know that for a fact."

Just replace the location and a few names, fit to publish in the Observer today.

Ouch! This is why I never been a big fan of shula. History proves what everyone has been saying. He is not a good OC in my opinion. Especially in the NFL these days. Winning T.O.P. means absolutely nothing if we can't score touchdowns. While in the red zone, we need to take my shots in the end zone. It was very frustrating to get to the redzone 3 times and only come away with 6 points.

Shula and Ron have the same problem-No guts. They don't attack, they get in the redzone and act like they're playing for the fg. How many times do you see Cam actually take shots into the end zone when we get in the redzone? There's a reason Cam plays better when he can just play. I just hope we can one day get the most out of our #1 pick by giving him the tools he needs to succeed.

Archived