• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cover 2 will not work with this Defense

joethoma

i've actually had this opinion since we signed Meeks and started switching, regardless of the preseason game which is really not relevant to anything.

the cover 2 does in fact rely on pressure from the front 4. last year Pep was the only guy getting pressure. at all. all we did in the offseason was add a rookie. even if we still had Kemo, our D-line is not really very good at getting pressure.

i'm optimistic that we are going to open up the D with schemes that will kick ass. just saying that the OP isn't really far off.

As others have said, way too early to panic.

Truth be told, Tiom Coughlin tends to get his players going hard earlier in camp than some other teams, Panthers included. Knowing that, it's no great surprise that his team might look better in preseason than us. It was true when he was coaching the Jags too.

The downside: Coughlin's style as often as not leads to teams that look great early but flag down the stretch. Outside of the Super Bowl season, late season folds have been a fairly annual event with the Giants.

Will it be true this season? We'll see.

People are going fool over one game..... WOW how am I not surprised.

I feel like Panther fans do this so much more than others.

I was convinced at all that you don't think the sky is falling.

Tell me, does anyone listen to the commentary? If you did you would have heard Suzy Kolber say that she talked to Fox about the defense and he said they were running the most vanilla plays, and laughed and said he wasn't going crazy about their performance.

People, read this and understand it PLEASE. You don't know what mindset the team is going into this game with, you don't know the value the Panthers are putting on preseason, so stop acting like they value it like the regular season. A lot of you seem to be able to say "its just preseason", but obviously you can't truly have that mentality since the sky is constantly in a freefall.

For all you know John Fox just wanted to get the starters some hits to loosen them up and then get them out. He might have told them their health is #1 priority and not to go all out.

Here is a statline for you:

10-19 passes completed (52.6%)

145 Yards (7.6 avg)

1 TD

2 INT

2 Sacks

1 Fumble

This was a statline from the second game of the preseason. Probably some scrub right? Hell no, this was Tom Brady's statline in the preseason before he threw 50 TDs and 8 INTs. (Disclaimer, I already know we won't get that from our guys)

That is an example of why preseason is so stupid to freak out about, the Lions were 4-0 pre, 0-16 regular.

Do us all a favor and wait for the third game, and then hold it in some more.

Has anybody else noticed that John Fox always runs a basic vanilla defense with the starters, and then starts blitzing and running D-line stunts when the back ups get on the field? He does that every pre season.

So, while that was not exactly an encouraging performance by the starting defense, there is certainly no reason to panic.

That is pretty much the way I saw it. Initially, I was pretty pissed at our complete lack of pass rush but then I noticed they seemed to get more aggressive with the backup D. Probably simply a case of "mailing it in." Something we are rather notorious for doing.

Has anybody else noticed that John Fox always runs a basic vanilla defense with the starters, and then starts blitzing and running D-line stunts when the back ups get on the field? He does that every pre season.

So, while that was not exactly an encouraging performance by the starting defense, there is certainly no reason to panic.

He does that in the regular season too.

He does that in the regular season too.

exactly. Some still try to paint Fox as a genius who is just trying to hide his hand.......however, the reality of it is you simply already know what you get w/ a Fox team. Playing those vanilla soft schemes is what Fox likes to do.......we will see a lot of the same compliants of the defense week 1. Fox purely believes the vanilla schemes are good and it just boils down to execution of them.

exactly. Some still try to paint Fox as a genius who is just trying to hide his hand.......however, the reality of it is you simply already know what you get w/ a Fox team. Playing those vanilla soft schemes is what Fox likes to do.......we will see a lot of the same compliants of the defense week 1. Fox purely believes the vanilla schemes are good and it just boils down to execution of them.

i agree...fox only wants the basic, so therefore anything out the norm for him he won't do.conservative ball will never win a superbowl...hell even joepa changed his philsophy a little.

I don't think it is quite fair to say that Cover 2 won't work or that we are doomed, but I do think you can be critical of the team despite it only being preseason. The reality is that all teams have areas that they would like to improve. Heck, we had a team in Arizona make it to the Superbowl last year, and they couldn't run the football.

I think most people would agree we have a need at DT. Other than that, I don't think any of us have a clue how well the scheme will work at this point.

Based on a lot of responses in this thread, I have a feeling very few people on this board know how to identify defenses.

The cover 2 won't work for us for one simple reason...the way you beat a cover 2 is to run out of it...if we can stop the run the cover 2 will do no good. I know a little something. :smilewinkgrin:

The cover 2 won't work for us for one simple reason...the way you beat a cover 2 is to run out of it...if we can stop the run the cover 2 will do no good. I know a little something. :smilewinkgrin:

plus, the majority of time Fox has always shown he prefers to rely heavily on the front 4 for most of the pressure.....we don't have the DL to run any of Fox's defensive schemes.....especially not a Cover 2 like Meeks ran in Indy.

Archived