• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm not blaming Shula

Jeremy Igo

G-man., I give a pass until he has more money to play around with.     The Hardy tag was a bad idea,  I know.        I've to have faith though that once he has more cap space,  he will start rebuilding our Oline and our secondary.    If he doesn't......  I will be right on the Fire G-man bandwagon. 

Until then,  I blame Shula for not utilizing what we do have.   We may not have much,  but I believe we are better than the playcalling is showing.     If he knows that we don't have the right quality of players to run his style of ball control,  clock depleting offense...he should be expected to adapt.

shula called a TE screen on 3rd and 1

he ran the triple option with jason avant (and constantly has avant/cotch in the backfield on the pistol)

did a screen to jstew on 4th and 25, who is a great runner, but not much of a receiving threat due to his lack of long speed

some of this stuff just doesnt make any sense. and there's headscratchers like this in every game.

Agreed Jeremy, but the problem is, I have been indicting Gettleman all year and the majority give him a pass.

The only reason I bring up Shula's job now is because our franchise does have a habit of creating "sacrificial lambs" to quell the masses from getting at those truly responsible.

Gettleman bought himself some time because of the teams performance last year.  This time last year it was hard to criticize the coaching staff.  The honeymoon phase is slowly ending though.  It took a long time for people to start getting pissed at Hurney to.

Personally I really don't know what to make of Gettleman yet. At first I was one of the "he can do no wrong" types....as most of us were.  One one hand he did a magnificent job last year with his 1 year deals and keeping us competitive with very little cap to work with and he's done a good job of setting us up to actually have cap room in the future. On the other hand he miscalculated the Hardy situation and he probably should have kept Smitty.

Ultimately the jury is still out to some degree because the guy really hasn't been able to put "his" team on the field yet because of the dead money contracts of Hurney.  We probably won't know how good Gettleman is for another year or two.

What he decides to do with the coaching staff at season's end if we do end up having a bad year will say a lot about Gettleman.

Shula didn't make Cam fumble that handoff.  Shula didn't make Cam throw that ugly duck INT as he was getting sacked.  

Shula did make some awful playcalls on the final drive.  Play action?  Rolling out AWAY from your best receiver?  One catch for Olsen?  Lots of blame on Shula, but it's not entirely his fault either.

Shula didn't make Cam fumble that handoff.  Shula didn't make Cam throw that ugly duck INT as he was getting sacked.  

Shula did make some awful playcalls on the final drive.  Play action?  Rolling out AWAY from your best receiver?  One catch for Olsen?  Lots of blame on Shula, but it's not entirely his fault either.

Not to mention we always seem to have some untimely penalties in the redzone as well.

Shula didn't make Cam fumble that handoff. 

You're right, Shula didn't.

Stewart did.

A running back isn't supposed to try to TAKE the ball from the QB, he's supposed to accept it if the QB leaves it with him.

Stewart held the ball and pulled it right out of Cam's hands.

I'm still baffled: Slip screen on 4th and 25 with 90 yards of field to go in 38 seconds.  

The question shouldn't be who's to blame rather who isn't to blame.  We're lucky we're 3-4-1 and only had 3 blowouts.  

There's minor things worth bandaging but there's plenty to scrap.  

Archived