• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beat writers speculate on DT help

Mr. Scot

Gantt believes a trade is coming sooner rather than later (link)

(some goofball named Delhommey left a comment)

The Panthers know they need help at defensive tackle, and they didn't need to hear Jon Beason say it out loud. Fact is, they're looking at every avenue.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that GM Marty Hurney was in Green Bay for the Packers-Browns game, fueling some immediate speculation about DE Corey Williams, a natural 4-3 DT who's moving outside there. But the reality is, Hurney was likely looking at the other side as well.

With the Packers shifting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 under former Panthers coach Dom Capers, there are going to be some odd fits there who could be available.

Trying to trade for help is going to be the easiest way to add, but the problem is what to offer in compensation. They're already without next year's first (gone to San Francisco so they could take DE Everette Brown), and don't want to give up too many more picks.

To me, the first call should go to Kansas City, to see what it would take to pry loose Glenn Dorsey. Not only is he a bad fit in a 3-4, but he's in new coach Todd Haley's doghouse.

Dorsey's a disruptive inside player, quick with the first step. That's what the Panthers are looking for.

Know this, somebody's coming, and they'd rather do it sooner than later.

Chandler speculates on a couple of the Giants' reserves (link)

Just talked to a true Giants insider and got this tip on two backup defensive tackles for the Giants who probably won't make their roster but have looked good in camp.

Later in the game, probably the second half, be watching for Anthony Bryant (No. 75) and Jeremy Clark (No. 73), comparing and contrasting them to the Panthers' young DTs.

Bryant (6-3, 337 pounds) is a 27-year-old journeyman. He didn't play last season after appearing in 11 games from 2005-2007 with the Buccaneers, Lions and Dolphins.

Clark (6-3, 309) played in four games for the Giants last season, including their late-season win over Carolina.

Neither has flashed starter potential and could be the type of players to consider for a roster spot if they're released by the Giants.

Reed quotes Damione Lewis echoing Jon Beason. (link)

As for replacing Kemoeatu, Lewis said it can’t be done with the guys on hand.

“None of these guys out here can replace Maake,” Lewis said. “There’s only a handful of nose tackles in the league that can play as well as Maake did. He’s one of the best in the business. We’re not going to have that. That’s gone. So we just have to hustle and do the small things right to overcome what we’re missing with him. I mean, he’s a true run-stuffer. We don’t have another true run-stuffer. Nowhere on the roster do we have another.”

Much as I respect Gantt, I just can't see getting Glenn Dorsey as realistic. Hard to believe the Chiefs would give up a pick that high for less than major compensation, and I can't see us giving up what it might take to get him.

Add in I'm just not dead solid convinced that it's a good idea. He was reportedly put on PUP with KC, some say essentially for being too fat. This one just screams "Sean Gilbert Part Deux" to me.

At this point, I'm honestly more interested in the speculation about Corey Williams.

It's been so long since we've had such weak DTs. It's clear that teams will run all over us with what we have now. Even worse, I think Beason is more likely to be injured, because big fatties will be getting into the second level with bad intentions for any LB in the way. Also, we will be forced to fire zone blitz with our LBs, so that will put more pressure on our secondary. When we played the Steelers a few years back in pre-season, Cower was asked how they planned to attack our Cover-2, he responed "you run the ball, run them our of it". We need a major run stuffing DT, ASAP.

I was encouraged by what I saw out of Favorite and Irvin last night as far as they could be effective in rotation. However, Lewis is no NT and Hayden is just horrid.

After watching last night it's a "when" not an "if."

Big Fav might just develop into a player.

Corey Williams for a 2nd would work for me.

without cutting major money off our books how could we even afford Dorsey, he got a huge contract as a 1st rnder last yr.

We could cut McCown and free up some cap room. After last night's performance and Matt Moore looking like the Matt Moore of 2007, that might be the way to go.

Don't know where I posted it, but drafting has put us in this position.

I love the players that we have, but we have not hit on many mid rounders to play on the O line or D line. Maybe we need to do a bit better job of that in our scouting.

Im not really sure how they could work getting Dorsey. It would be a great move to put him in the Meeks new scheme. Im just not sure where the cap space would come from. He was a top 6 pick last year and Im sure there is alot of G money in that deal. I did see someone said that we could cut McCown to save some money, not a bad idea. I know that James Anderson had a good game last night but I think that he could be easy to let go. How about this trade. Glenn Dorsey and Tyler Thigpen for a 2nd Rounder and McCown or Anderson...... Just a thought.

Don't know where I posted it, but drafting has put us in this position.

I love the players that we have, but we have not hit on many mid rounders to play on the O line or D line. Maybe we need to do a bit better job of that in our scouting.

3 years ago we had too many OTs and DTs now its the other way around. The draft just goes in spells. I would not doubt that we will be thin at LB 3 years down the road.

Archived