• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers get off to a lackluster start

Rod Butsecks

(By Charles Chandler, [email protected]) EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Monday's exhibition opener against the New York Giants did nothing to alleviate concerns about the Carolina Panthers' run defense. p/ In a span of four plays in the first period, the Giants' top two running backs gained 41 yards against the Panthers starting defense, which was playing without outside linebacker Thomas Davis.p/ New York starting halfback Brandon Jacobs ran 22 yards to the left and backup Ahmad Bradshaw rambled 19 yards for a touchdown to the right side.p/ It must be pointed out that it's only the preseason and neither team did significant game-planning, but those two runs led to the only touchdown of the first half and were perhaps the most striking plays of the night.p/ We got out of our gaps two times (on the runs by Jacobs and Bradshaw), said Carolina coach John Fox. The first one we were probably not wide enough. The second one, we had a guy run through that wasn't the right time.p/ For a first game in a defense, I think the guys played hard, but we didn't execute as well as we needed to.p/ New York went on to beat the Panthers 24-17 on a TD on the final play.p/ The Panthers trailed throughout the game after Bradshaw's touchdown until fourth-team quarterback Hunter Cantwell directed a five-play, 88-yard touchdown drive and two-point conversion for a 17-17 tie late in the fourth period.p/ But just when it appeared the game was going to overtime and the Panthers had a chance to win, Cantwell was hit by Giants defensive tackle Ledger Douzable, jarring the ball loose, and New York defensive end Tommie Hill grabbed the fumble out of the air and returned it 18 yards for a clinching touchdown on the final play.p/ Carolina's starters played about a quarter - the team's first look at its defense in a game without starting defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, a natural run-stuffer who suffered a torn Achilles tendon in the first practice of training camp Aug. 3.p/ Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers, speaking for the first time since camp opened, said the loss of Kemoeatu provides a huge challenge for the Panthers and that the team needs either for a defensive tackle to step up and fill the void or for the team to acquire a player not currently on the roster. p/ Panthers rookie defensive tackles Marlon Favorite and Corvey Irvin - both second-teamers -- held up reasonably well against the Giants' offensive reserves. Favorite and Irvin each had tackles for 3-yard losses.p/ Carolina's starting offense didn't score and picked up three first downs in one quarter of play against a Giants' first-team defense playing without four defensive starters.p/ Quarterback Jake Delhomme completed 5 of 9 passes for 38 yards, while running back DeAngelo Williams looked sharp in gaining 29 yards on six carries.p/ As an offense, it was great to get out there and get some work, said Delhomme. We didn't start as fast as we would have liked, but we did some nice things. We have a lot of work to do and a long way to go to get where we need to be.p/ The Panthers played without Pro Bowl wide receiver Steve Smith, who stayed back home in Charlotte with a bruised right shoulder.p/ All-pro left tackle Jordan Gross gave up a rare sack when Giants' defensive end Osi Umenyiora, one of thee NFL's top pass rushers, dropped Delhomme for a loss.p/ Gross said of the Panthers' offensive showing in the first half: The first time out is always a little sloppy. I thought we played OK in spurts, but it would have been nice to put points on the board. We will learn from this and build on it.p/ It was an eventful night for Panthers' fourth-year linebacker James Anderson and rookie running back Mike Goodson.p/ Anderson, a 2006 third-round pick, took advantage of the opportunity to start in place of Davis, who sat out with a knee injury.p/ Anderson had a sack and a blocked punt that resulted in a safety, getting his preseason off to a strong start. He didn't perform as well as originally expected in his first three seasons, starting just three games and contributing primarily on special teams.p/ Goodson, a fourth-round pick, has dazzled at times during training camp and had a debut of extremes.p/ In the first half, he fumbled twice after pass receptions, losing one via turnover.p/ However, in the second half, he showed the explosiveness that has caught the eye of Panthers team officials, coaches and players.p/ On consecutive plays in the third quarter, Goodson ran 16 yards with a quick pitch from quarterback Matt Moore, then reversed field for a 14-yard touchdown run.p/ However, he was penalized for taunting after the play for make a throat-slashing gesture toward the Giants.p/ I think it was a good experience - a young guy (in my) first game, said Goodson. It gave me some things to work on, but also gave me some things I did well.p/ Goodson's touchdown came on a running play to the right. However, the line was clogged and he quickly cut back to his left and sprinted into the end zone.p/ It was kind of just using vision, said Goodson. Coach Skip (offensive coordinator Jim Skipper) always talks about reading our keys.p/ Goodson said he learned a lesson from the throat-slashing gesture.p/ I just went back to my college days on that, he said. I was told by Skip not to do that anymore, so I'll try not to.p/ Another prominent storyline Monday night was the unspectacular play of backup quarterback Josh McCown, who is attempting to hold off Moore for the No. 2 job.p/ McCown threw an interception and fumbled. However, the fumble was the result of faulty pass protection. Giants defensive lineman Maurice Evans blew by Panthers backup right tackle Geoff Schwartz to sack McCown.p/ Also, wide receiver Jason Carter dropped a nice throw from McCown that would've resulted in a first down if he'd caught it.p/ The Panthers' top rookie, defensive end Everette Brown, had a sack in his pro preseason debut, using his quickness to roar in from the right side and deck Giants' quarterback Andre Woodson in the third period.p/ The Panthers traded their 2010 first-round pick in order to select Brown in Round 2 with the 43rd overall selection. They also acquired a fourth-round pick in the trade with San Francisco, which they used on Goodson.p/ Carolina has today off before returning to Spartanburg Wednesday for the final two days of training camp at Wofford. After a brief Friday workout in Charlotte, they'll fly to Miami for a Saturday exhibition against the Dolphins.p/p/ Charles Chandler: (704) 358-5123 and @CharlesChandler on Twitter.

More...

Archived