• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobby Phills jersey coming back to Charlotte

teeray

I'm not going to specifically talk about Sam Mills, because his situation was nowhere near the same. But that sentiment is somewhat correct, as a community Charlotte should not honor individuals that did not contribute a real legacy at the very least. If you believe that Bobby really changed the culture of Charlotte while he was alive then so be it. However a great franchise should not be honoring someone off of a bad mistake that they made because it ended tragically.

I don't think many comprehend what an honor it is supposed to be to have your number retired. Charlotte is so used to mediocrity, I have even seen people make the case to have Gerald Wallace's number retired for goodness sake. Ring of Honor? Great. One of the most prestigious honors that can be bestowed upon a player? NO

Bon Jovi has a banner in the air Canada centre. Billy Joel has a banner in Madison Square Garden. UNC has tons of banners honoring players, even Joe Forte.

This was one of the first things fans wanted back. It obviously means something to the fans. As long as it holds meaning to the fans, it should not matter what these unwritten "rules" are.

Lots of NFL fans would look at the Panthers retiring Sam Mills' jersey the same way you're viewing this retirement. Do you even remember Bobby Phills? I was very young so my only memory from that time in Charlotte is from a Checkers game at what is now Bojangles Coliseum. Before a game following Phills' death the Checkers held a moment of silence and all the numbers on the scoreboard were switched to show "13"

Bon Jovi has a banner in the air Canada centre. Billy Joel has a banner in Madison Square Garden. UNC has tons of banners honoring players, even Joe Forte.

This was one of the first things fans wanted back. It obviously means something to the fans. As long as it holds meaning to the fans, it should not matter what these unwritten "rules" are.

Lots of NFL fans would look at the Panthers retiring Sam Mills' jersey the same way you're viewing this retirement. Do you even remember Bobby Phills? I was very young so my only memory from that time in Charlotte is from a Checkers game at what is now Bojangles Coliseum. Before a game following Phills' death the Checkers held a moment of silence and all the numbers on the scoreboard were switched to show "13"

Yes, I do which is why my viewpoint is as such. You yourself say that your only memory was after his death. After thinking about it if the staff of the Hornets organization felt it necessary clearly it was to them and many fans. He did serve well within the community. However I feel as though retiring a number or building a statue is the top honor that people take for granted, specifically around here.

But I will simply agree to disagree. At the end of the day my point is not one against Phills.  It is a statement against Charlotte fans honoring mediocrity because that is what we have become accustomed to.

Yes, I do which is why my viewpoint is as such. You yourself say that your only memory was after his death. After thinking about it if the staff of the Hornets organization felt it necessary clearly it was to them and many fans. He did serve well within the community. However I feel as though retiring a number or building a statue is the top honor that people take for granted, specifically around here.

But I will simply agree to disagree. At the end of the day my point is not one against Phills. It is a statement against Charlotte fans honoring mediocrity because that is what we have become accustomed to.

Appreciate it for what it is. Don't read too much into it. Fact of the matter is Charlotte sports have only existed for 25 years which is very young in the grand scheme of things.

I have no problem with honoring high character individuals that resonate with the community by excelling on and off the court. What other franchises do shouldn't dictate what the Hornets do.

Archived