• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobby Phills jersey coming back to Charlotte

teeray

I was devastated the day I heard about Bobby Phills.

Great news though.

Surely beats Andrea Stinsons less than intimidating retired jersey.

She deserved the honor though.

LJ, Zo, Gill and Tripucka would be great honors too, but Dell deserves the next. His clutch shot saved me from close to 100 heart attacks.

Anytime anyone passes it is a tragedy and plenty of people are left with much sorrow.

That said, it is still important to remember that Phills and Wesley were accused of racing and Wesley was found guilty of reckless driving. Phills and Wesley's behavior put a lot of people's lives in danger.

Anytime anyone passes it is a tragedy and plenty of people are left with much sorrow.

That said, it is still important to remember that Phills and Wesley were accused of racing and Wesley was found guilty of reckless driving. Phills and Wesley's behavior put a lot of people's lives in danger.

It's also important to remember that that mistake did not ultimately define who Bobby Phills was.

I was devastated the day I heard about Bobby Phills.

Great news though.

Surely beats Andrea Stinsons less than intimidating retired jersey.

She deserved the honor though.

LJ, Zo, Gill and Tripucka would be great honors too, but Dell deserves the next. His clutch shot saved me from close to 100 heart attacks.

Nobody else deserves their number retired. Except maybe Jordan. I wouldn't mind them hanging #23, nobody will wear it anyway.

Nobody else deserves their number retired. Except maybe Jordan. I wouldn't mind them hanging #23, nobody will wear it anyway.

Zo has the resume but not enough time with the team. Dell and Muggsy have remained fixtures in the community and are beloved but don't have the resumes.

Honestly, does his jersey deserve to be retired?  It is a very tragic thing that happened, but let's look at the facts.  He played here for about 4 years, he wasn't an all-star/ didn't earn any awards.  I'm sure many will hate me speaking on that reality, but you can not retire every jersey based upon shock value/ tragedy.  That mindset will make Charlotte sports mediocre as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, does his jersey deserve to be retired? It is a very tragic thing that happened, but let's look at the facts. He played here for about 4 years, he wasn't an all-star/ didn't earn any awards. I'm sure many will hate me speaking on that reality, but you can not retire every jersey based upon shock value/ tragedy. That mindset will make Charlotte sports mediocre as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes an individual's contributions go beyond the basketball court.

By your standards Sam Mills shouldn't have a statue.

Sometimes an individual's contributions go beyond the basketball court.

By your standards Sam Mills shouldn't have a statue.

I'm not going to specifically talk about Sam Mills, because his situation was nowhere near the same. But that sentiment is somewhat correct, as a community Charlotte should not honor individuals that did not contribute a real legacy at the very least. If you believe that Bobby really changed the culture of Charlotte while he was alive then so be it.  However a great franchise should not be honoring someone off of a bad mistake that they made because it ended tragically.

I don't think many comprehend what an honor it is supposed to be to have your number retired.  Charlotte is so used to mediocrity, I have even seen people make the case to have Gerald Wallace's number retired for goodness sake.  Ring of Honor? Great.  One of the most prestigious honors that can be bestowed upon a player? NO

I think Muggsy, LJ, Zo, and Dell deserve some sort of recognition. Whether it's naming parts of the arena after them or what have you. But not retiring jerseys. I think you really have to do something insane to get your number out of circulation. With that said I am ok with the number 13 never being worn again.

Archived