• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The good and the bad

XxDeputyxX

Hey I got to agree with KillerKat on this one. Wesly looked like the wise vet out there tonight. He never has been nor never will be the speed corner with great coverage skills and beating him on a slant when the team is playing a cover two is on par for what a lot of nickles will give up. His instints are what give him the upper hand in the battle for the nickle spot.

Hey I got to agree with KillerKat on this one. Wesly looked like the wise vet out there tonight. He never has been nor never will be the speed corner with great coverage skills and beating him on a slant when the team is playing a cover two is on par for what a lot of nickles will give up. His instints are what give him the upper hand in the battle for the nickle spot.

I dont see him as our nickle or I hope not anyway. I always go by the CB that dose not get thrown at is the one thats doing well. JMO but if he really is the best we are in trouble.

Good: Goodson when he's not fumbling

Moore: showed good pocket presence

Kenneth Moore: Put this guy in the running for 3rd WR

Lehman: Love it! That's what I want to see from someone giving his soul to the game

Marlon Favorite: I predict this will be our starting DT

DWill: Just another day in the office

Cantwell: That last drive saved what looked like a swan song of an effort

Jason Cherry: He's great, much better than the bragged about Beavers

Everette Brown: you got a sack rookie...

Dante Wesely: I'm not so sure you're not better than Marshall

Quenton Teal: That's the Teal I remember from Coastal Carolina. keep up the good work, you've got a future in this league

Joe Fields: our best cover safety....

BAD:

McCown: That was ugly...just ugly

Jason Carter: Dude give it up, you show up in practice, talk a good game, but when time comes to play, you choke like none other

Nick Hayden: AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL...did I mention AWFUL

Chris Harris: come on man...

Charles Godfrey: Dude, wrap up...it is simple basic football

Everette Brown: I like his energy...but plz for the love of God, come up with something other than the spin move

Mike Goodson: If he fumbles again, no matter all that speed we saw, he will fall behind Jamal Lee

I dont see him as our nickle or I hope not anyway. I always go by the CB that dose not get thrown at is the one thats doing well. JMO but if he really is the best we are in trouble.

I don't think we are disagreeing that much. While I liked what I saw out of Wesley tonight and think he needs to be on this team, I'm hoping that Wilson or Martin are able to step it up and show they are the better corner. That didn't happen tonight but comparing Wilson and Martin to a vet like Wesley is almost unfair at this point. Give it time and hopefully that instinct that I think they do have will catch up with the game speed.

As for who is getting thrown to the most, that probably is a good indicator in the regular season but in preseason where there is no game plan I don't think it is that big of a deal.

What we found out by position (good and bad):

QB: All QB's had some shaky moments in the pocket. Jake settled down, but ultimately couldn't make the play when it counted. I like McCown's fluid style in the pocket. He gets himself set and delivers. He can throw on the run and can make that 8 yd run for the 1st down. Moore is just not where he needs to be. The fumbling is a glaring problem. I think that goes on the individual player and the position coach.

WR: No Smitty=mediocre passing game. Moose and Jarrett really didn't show up. Kenny Moore did. Carter just lost his job. Plain and simple. No real surprises except for Chery. Too bad he won't make the team.

RB: Goodson was a great draft pick. He surprised me and impressed me. I love his speed and his pass catching ability. D-will was good. Fiametta picked up a nice first down.

TE: Barnidge looks like he's already pushed King out of the starting lineup. I like his game a lot. King, I think, has peaked, but I like him as the #2 TE. Rosario is probably going to stick around, but he has brought nothing for a very long time.

OL: First string will be good, maybe great. Back ups Bernardeau and Shwartz did not impress. Hope Duke Robinson comes in to his own sonner than later because our depth is lacking here.

DE: Not much to cheer about with the starters. We played a very vanilla front look, so I'm not surprised. E. Brown has a bright future, I think. Love the energy and effort. Hilee Taylor (missed a tackle), but was another bright spot for me.

DT: Not going to get into a tizzy about this because I know Hurney is trying to find some talent. I hope we will get some soon, though, because it is the weak link in the defense. Kemo really didn't make us that much better, but without him, we are going to get carved up. Plus Meeks has never had a very good run D. Atlanta is chomping at the bit after watching that game.

LB: We are good to great here. Davis makes a difference, but Anderson proved why he sticks around year to year. Conner is starter material. Leman just might be a special teams stand out this year, if he makes the team. Beason has got his work cut out for him with this current D-line.

Safety: Godfrey and Harris are going to be tested. Meeks' system relies heavily on the safeties to cover 1 on 1. I'm not sure I feel real good about that with the kind of pass rush we saw last night. Teal raised his stock significantly.

CB: I think we are solid here. Wesley is not that good, but he is important to special teams. S. Martin has a long way to go. He will not be a factor early this year. Munnerlyn should make the team, maybe even contribute at nickel.

K: To me Lloyd was inconsistent, but the 2nd half kickoff was a monster. Kasey is Kasey.

KR/PR: Oh my god!!! We have no answer here. This is a serious problem (second onlyto DT). Robinson is not the answer.

Overall:

Offense: Dismal at times, promising at times. Hard to say any more than that with such pedestrian play calling. QB position was clearly one of the resons we struggled in that game. Running game looks good. Jake was shaky, let's face it...

Defense: Did nothing to stop the run. David Carr had a TD pass on us. D line is weak. We have a long way to go in this new system before we can expect to stop Philly, Atlanta , or Dallas. I shudder to think what those games will look like if we don't find some help at DT.

Looks like a 7-9 win team to me.

Archived