• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on tonights game

dpanthersman

What we saw was a team playing vanilla on both sides of the ball against a team they will see in the regular season. Fox is notorious for giving little away and showing little in the preseason. Without gameplanning we won't look good throughout pre-season.

The Panthers are a pretty vanilla team on both sides of the ball, though. When you're style of offense is generally 3-4 yards in a cloud of dust.. you'd like to see a little better performance offensively.

Anyone who makes too much good or bad out of this game obviously are starved for football and are making way too much out of very little.

I agree.. it's nowhere near enough to go on to assume that either team will be good/bad. However, it wasn't a good night for the defensive line... something clearly needs to be done here. Not sure how much can realistically be done with cap limitations and such, but I hope we see some kind of change made before week 1.

Unfortunately more guys failed to impress than those guys that shined tonight. Even guys like Goodson made more mistakes than great plays tonight. The best news is that most teams make thir biggest improvement between game 1 and game 2 in the preseason.

Absolutely.. we've got a lot of younger guys filling depth holes this season, and they should improve pretty quickly. That first taste of NFL action is behind them, and hopefully we see a better team come out and play next week.

Was talking to Dan Morgan last night about the defense's weak performance. He said to absolutely not worry. This is preseason and what you saw last night will look nothing like what we see in the regular season. He said to mark his words that the defense will be very agressive and good.

He said he thought we could even be a good D with the DT's that we have, but he felt we would make a move for another starting DT. Although, he said not to expet a big name. A journeyman was more likely.

What we saw was a team playing vanilla on both sides of the ball against a team they will see in the regular season. Fox is notorious for giving little away and showing little in the preseason. Without gameplanning we won't look good throughout pre-season.

Anyone who makes too much good or bad out of this game obviously are starved for football and are making way too much out of very little.

Unfortunately more guys failed to impress than those guys that shined tonight. Even guys like Goodson made more mistakes than great plays tonight. The best news is that most teams make thir biggest improvement between game 1 and game 2 in the preseason.

I agree and wanted to add two more observations.

1) The Giants did seem to have an offensive game plan for the first 3-4 possessions and that rolling comeback deep screen they had on the second drive looked like it came out of their playoff playbook. Very well executed and obviously well-practiced.

2) I really did not like the lack of intensity on our defense and having Julius laugh it up with the Giant players after getting steam-rolled out of play after play was getting annoying.

3) If this had been a regular season game we would not have seen the ball in the air and could not have stopped them. The only time we did stop them was when they went to the air or when they took out their offensive line starters. This would have been an ugly result in the regular season.

I didn't see the swarming to the football and wrapping up BEFORE trying to knock the ball loose like our defense should have been doing.

Our offense will be fine if it can stay healthy at WR and O-line

We have great depth at LB and DE. Lehman was a pleasant surprise last night.

Chery had some nice moves, goodson needs work before i would even let him touch a football in the regular season.

Cantwell played much better than I expected, though the ball security is a problem for all our QB's

I wanted lee to get more touches but oh well preseason just started.

Peppers looked happy to be back and he will teach brown a lot

Was talking to Dan Morgan last night about the defense's weak performance. He said to absolutely not worry. This is preseason and what you saw last night will look nothing like what we see in the regular season. He said to mark his words that the defense will be very agressive and good.

Sums it up nicely.

Anyone who hits the panic button this early deserves the ulcers in their tummys.

First game what did you really expect?

The mistakes WILL be worked on. Timing WILL get better. Those are correctable in practice.

Now, the D Line aint gonna fix it self.

A rock solid player HAS to be plugged in or the only shot the Panthers have for the playoffs are on Madden.

I agree. People seem to forget that these were the first live snaps since the Cardinals game. Sure we've got a lot to work on, but as far as offense is concerned time will help.

First team defense looked to me like they should be second team. I was very impressed with our second half play. That said, I wish I wouldn't have seen the first half :D

He said he thought we could even be a good D with the DT's that we have, but he felt we would make a move for another starting DT. Although, he said not to expet a big name. A journeyman was more likely.

I hope he is right about the defense. I'm going to remain optimistic but if the defense tackles in the regular season like the first string did in this game, it's going to be a long season.

Somebody quoted Meeks as saying we were not going to show the Giants anything defensively because we play them again in the regular season.

I wouldn't sweat this game too much. If we look this bad in the third preseason game...then we can have a bitch fest. We have got to address the d-line play though.

I wanted lee to get more touches but oh well preseason just started.

I was one of those who were very excited when we picked up Lee, but there's no way he makes the team. He went 2-for-2, and he has looked pretty bad in training camp and fan fest.

If we're carrying a fourth back at all (which I don't think we do with two full backs on the roster), it will be Birmingham.

Were you at the pizza place...how was the gathering?

Dan obviously has more football knowledge in his pinkie toe than I could probably ever hope to have........but if that is his stance after watching THAT? I would have to assume he is purely an optimist who happens to have a lot of ties still w/ the players/organization. Preseason or not, watching them get pushed around up front and the tackling like girls is something to worry about......they claim defenses are suppose to be ahead of offenses this time of year but I doubt we could have stopped the Lions last night.

Archived