• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on tonights game

dpanthersman

what i saw

our field goal blocking was very bad

Hayden got tossed around

the entire Dline was very slow off the snap..it was not good

Brown was not bad but not that good..

leman has a high motor

Teal made some plays

Taylor made some plays

and FYI..and jammal anderson..he was able to get that sack because the giants Oline man handled our Dline and anderson just ran into that huge hole.

Our O-line didnt look all that good,Jake still is over throwing people and dose not protect the ball. Dwill is in mid-season form and is running well as expected. Jarrett still has problems breaking away from his CB. Barnadge is gonna be a good weapon for Jake this year. Hoover is well Hoover. Goodson got alot of reps with mixed result. He needs to protect the ball for one. Moore Looks better then McCowin at this point IMO. We need our QB coach to teach our QBs how to protect the ball cause they all sucked at it.

On Defense we are very small up front and when you add a big back with a big line your in trouble. Where is all this penetration that were supposed to have? Brown was handled tonight very well and still needs to learn. For that matter none of our DEs really made me say WOW. Our whole team really needs to learn to tackle cause I know I saw Anderson,Gamble,Wilson,Hayden,and Lewis miss tackles that they could have made. Also I sure hope we dont have to rely on Westley as a CB cause his is just bad... He lets his WR get separation Plays way off for that matter too and then loses the ball also... He was very lucky that Carr and the other QB were off target or he would have been burnt.

I think our defense is still attempting to adjust to the new coordinator. Hopefuly by Mid September they will be there. the D line look espeacially bad. I ony hope what I saw tonite is not indicative of what a Meeks / Panthers d is going to be. If so were in deep crap.

i think Delhome is delhomme. Nothing new to see here. New qb coach or not.

goodson showed some stuff, but has those hands of Foster that make me cringe every damn time he has the rock. I dont hold much hope of him ever getting any better holding on to the ball.

Speacial teams looked adequate - nice punt block by Anderson, but I doubt it was anything more than a fluke bad play on the giants part.

I think our defense is still attempting to adjust to the new coordinator. Hopefuly by Mid September they will be there. the D line look espeacially bad. I ony hope what I saw tonite is not indicative of what a Meeks / Panthers d is going to be. If so were in deep crap.

i think Delhome is delhomme. Nothing new to see here. New qb coach or not.

goodson showed some stuff, but has those hands of Foster that make me cringe every damn time he has the rock. I dont hold much hope of him ever getting any better holding on to the ball.

Speacial teams looked adequate - nice punt block by Anderson, but I doubt it was anything more than a fluke bad play on the giants part.

Goodson is raw I would expect his ball control to be better at season end. He really plays like a collage scat back IMO.

I liked what I saw from our RBs DWill and Goodson especially. Minus the two fumbles (coaching) #33 had a nice showing and I see the burst that they were saying he has. Got a few tough yards inside too.

DeAngelo hasn't lost a step and could set some new records. I like the references to him being maybe "the best runningback in the league".

I was worried about the D but the 2nd and 3rd teams got into the backfield regularly in the second half. As always, we are a second half team.

Jake looked lost without #89. O line did well run blocking at times. Nothing that can't be fixed. No need to panic. Cuts are coming. Whispers of trades abound. This team will get better.

10-6 if not better. We have some great talent.

I liked what I saw from our RBs DWill and Goodson especially. Minus the two fumbles (coaching) #33 had a nice showing and I see the burst that they were saying he has. Got a few tough yards inside too.

DeAngelo hasn't lost a step and could set some new records. I like the references to him being maybe "the best runningback in the league".

I was worried about the D but the 2nd and 3rd teams got into the backfield regularly in the second half. As always, we are a second half team.

Jake looked lost without #89. O line did well run blocking at times. Nothing that can't be fixed. No need to panic. Cuts are coming. Whispers of trades abound. This team will get better.

10-6 if not better. We have some great talent.

I hope your right cause I was not very convinced by there play tonight. :lol:

First game what did you really expect?

The mistakes WILL be worked on. Timing WILL get better. Those are correctable in practice.

Now, the D Line aint gonna fix it self.

A rock solid player HAS to be plugged in or the only shot the Panthers have for the playoffs are on Madden.

First game what did you really expect?

The mistakes WILL be worked on. Timing WILL get better. Those are correctable in practice.

Now, the D Line aint gonna fix it self.

A rock solid player HAS to be plugged in or the only shot the Panthers have for the playoffs are on Madden.

Thats the scary part. I think we are in big trouble. Same for the Oline if anyone gets hurt.

What we saw was a team playing vanilla on both sides of the ball against a team they will see in the regular season. Fox is notorious for giving little away and showing little in the preseason. Without gameplanning we won't look good throughout pre-season.

Anyone who makes too much good or bad out of this game obviously are starved for football and are making way too much out of very little.

Unfortunately more guys failed to impress than those guys that shined tonight. Even guys like Goodson made more mistakes than great plays tonight. The best news is that most teams make thir biggest improvement between game 1 and game 2 in the preseason.

wow if fox cuts camp early this year he may need to start looking for a new job. Screw protecting the players we need to practice and practice hard and use all the amount of time available. if we dont get a new dt in the next week some people are going to be find a new job mid-season. I know its our first preseason game but we looked like a lost college team.

The good:

Everette Brown - he looked like in a year or two he will be something special. Right now he is going to be about average. He needs to get lower and work on a few more skills before he will be truely effective. Not sold but will wait and see.

Goodson - The man has a motor anyone will give you that. He needs to work on maturity and ball security. He reminded me of foster at first but seemed to do well after his last fumble. Again Still not sold but will wait and see.

DWill - Still a 5yd per carry rusher and will be very important to our offense along with stew and smith.

Leman - Very High energy and may get the nodd for making the team. team could learn a thing or two about tackling from him.

Its preseason and we are with out some starters. Plus preaseason is about who wants to make the team not how well the first team plays (which was not great).

Pass catching tight end whos name i alway tend to misspell and mess up beginning with a B. Will be a valuable weapon for jeff king and looking forward on how he develops

Brad hoover - Mr. Reliable.

Wesley - if he improves his coverage a little he will be fine.

The bad.

Tackling - Ugh lets not go there. Still can believe this is still a problem with this team.

DT - Not even going there its been said too many times. No point beating a dead and mutilated horse.

Ball Security - Well i think we match the turnovers from the arizona game.

Hayden - ugh thats a no. release and be free.

Though martin did have a good pass defended he could have had a pick if he would have kept track of the ball and defender.

Brightside

well its preseaons and we got a tough preseason schedule to get ready. I didnt expect much out of this game but am looking forward to the next game to see what improves. It looks like we didnt run a variety of plays at first glance and they just decided to pick a few vanilla plays and run them over and over and over again to go through the motions and see what players wanted to make the team. We didnt have all of our starters but still a little concerned about the poor effort tonight.

Aside from a couple breakdowns in the first half the D did better in the new scheme than I thought. The 1st team didn't seem to have the fire the second teamers had and looked confused at times. I saw Irvin, Leman, and E. Brown do some good things. E. Brown may be smaller but he looks very strong battling those OLs tonight.

I know Hurney is going to make a move to shore up the Dline. I'm not worried about this season. We've got a lot of things other teams wish they had, we should be grateful. Expect good things this year.

My only real concern was the Hayden was getting physically pushed completely out of plays. I think against a physical offensive line it will be tough for him, but against more scheme/finesse types he will probably look a lot better. However like panthers55 said it was pretty vanilla out there. Other than that, it looked more like rust than anything on offense. On the pulling plays, Vincent looked kind of slow, not sure if its lingering affects of injury or just a timing thing. Should be ok.

Archived