• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When a student fails, do you blame the teacher?

Jeremy Igo

Rivera doesn't pick who he wants from what I can tell.  Gettleman seems to run the show and picks the talent and manages the cap.  I suspect Rivera can say who he wants but unless we can get him for cheap he isn't coming here right now.

I also don't think you can blame coaches for the Hardy debacle nor for the long list of injuries which are affecting both sides of the ball but have devastated the offensive line and backfield.

Truth is that with the cap issues and fruit basket turnover we had hoped to field a competitive team as we go through financial hell.  Right now Rivera and the rest of the coaches have done the best they can with what they have to work with.  Time and again everyone keeps writing that we are doing pretty well given the lack of talent.  Seems to me everyone knows it except people on here.  We are not the same team as last year and it shows. I think players are not executing plain and simple.  As Davis said, guys are not swarming to the ball and making up for mistakes.  Lets add that tackling is abysmal and that is something players learn from pee wee ball.  That has to do with desire not coaching.

Sure the coaches need to do their job but like last week where we were down 21-0 in the first quarter, if we don't have 2 stupid penalties that extended the drives and resulted in scores we are down 7-0 and still in the game.  Penalties and poor tacklinng are our biggest problem and that has little to do with coaching. 

Rivera was coach of the year last year, he didn't forget how to coach in 12 months.  He has always had good defenses so is it him or the players right now??  I think players.

Apples and oranges IMO.

NFL is a profession. Both the coaches and players should be held accountable to perform and win a game.

Many teams have had players who have carried a coach however it is not often u see it the other way around.

The coach it responsible for putting the players in the best position to win while the players must execute their assignments accordingly.

This is a case of both struggling right now.

The players should be held to a higher standard though, it is their play that determines the outcome of a game.

It is the coach who should be held accountable for allowing a team to underperform.

I guess both could be said in our situation.

Suckage all around. Lol.

should the coaches really need to be teaching this to professionals?  If the guys is a rookie etc, ok.  But vets should know.

Tiger Woods is arguably the best golfer ever and he's had a swing coach his entire professional career.

These guys need coaches to show them the things that they cannot see themselves.

To me the game vs Green Bay we looked totally unprepared.  To me that's on the coaches.

if it's just a handful of students failing, it's to be expected and not necessarily the teacher's faukt (tho it could be).

when the majority of students are failing, it's absolutely on the teachers for not doing a good enough job to make sure their students were ready for the test. it's up to the teachers to teach in such a way that their students understand ehat is expected of them and that are ready/prepared for the taking of the tests and have given them what they need tk succeed.

the lack of discipline and cohesiveness falls directly on the coaches for not getting their players heads on straight. they aren't mentally prepared and make too many dumb mistakes. at this point you have to winder if we have the right coach for the job and if we gave him an extension too early. if he can't pull this team together and get them better prepared for sundays getting us back on the winning track, then i think we gave him an extension too early.

i thought we should have waited to see if he could put together back to back winning seasons before any extension came and he's lucky gettleman/richardson set the bar low.

I think Captain would have taken less, but Gettleman didn't want him back. I honestly believe Gettleman thought we would suck last year and going 12-4 messed with the perception of this team. He was going to do things his way regardless of last season.

I just can't believe a part of me actually believed Bell would play better.

Ding, we have a winner. Don't think last years team was ever meant to win. Rivera would be gone, along with Cam and Gettleman could start over fresh.

Alas the team won. Cam got an extra year and Rivera was resigned.

Ok to sum it up simply

We do not have enough money to sign enough talent on certain positions. 

This is why Bell, Chandler, and secondary are starting. 

Why do we not replace these? Because we do not have the money and sadly there isn't anyone on the current team that are better than them. 

The coaches are basically trying to teach a bunch of 8th graders with 12th grade material. It is reasonable to expect failure when you try this. Basically the coaches are having a tough time teaching very below average students how to play at a high level which is reasonable. 

We basically gambled that we could repeat the same formula as last year which in my opinion was the best course of action. Rely on the pass rush and LB to mask the secondary's problems and put out enough points to win. It worked for the first 2 games but I am not sure what happened after that. Hardy also really screwed us here. The offense for the most part is fine. It is really only the defense.

I have no problem with DG overall strategy when he was setting up the team this year because given the information he had at the time of making the decisions he made the right ones. 

People keep harping on our offensive line....We've put up points for most of the season. If our offense was this good last year we might have gone 14-2.

Ya i agree the offense has been fine but we had to put up alot more points this year to bail out the defense when in the past we just had to run out the clock. 

I'm blaming the coaches because a good coach can make average players look great. Great players makes poor to average coaches look great. Carolina has a bunch of poor and average players ( the o-line), the coach should be able to teach them and make them better, even if they suppose to be pros. You can never stop learning.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

I think Captain would have taken less, but Gettleman didn't want him back. I honestly believe Gettleman thought we would suck last year and going 12-4 messed with the perception of this team. He was going to do things his way regardless of last season.

I just can't believe a part of me actually believed Bell would play better.

DG probably wanted him back but not at that price. I also think you got it right with the 12-4 record. No one in their right mind would have guessed that record. DG tried to copy last years game plan to this year but sadly the pass rush isn't there and everything is getting exposed. 

Archived