• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When a student fails, do you blame the teacher?

Jeremy Igo

I think that is his gift and curse. I really dont think his players will ever quit on him for that fact but he really does put too much stock in jag players. On the flip side really what other choice has he had since he took over the job with Hurney at the helm. We saw a team last year that played hard and grinded out games. Was that Rivera, Or the players, or Both? Really thats the question when moving forward.

I think Rivera lost this team this year when the team bailed on Hardy and didn't have his back, to be honest.  Watching this team, watching guys like Davis, and CJ, look complete opposites from last year, I'm not sure they care too much about Rivera.

One major issue with the o line in the Rivera era is that we haven't been able to keep healthy guards starting for any length of time. You guys that have been watching this game for a while know you need to keep the same guys playing together for a while. I know that doesn't explain Chandler standing there picking his nose while Mathews blows past him.

Our tackles have been healthy and may be figuring out how to play against a 4 3 defense, but I'm not sure either one will ever be fast enough for 3 4 pass rushers. Before I start pissing on the OL coaches, I'd like to see the players they choose play together long enough for them to have a feeling what the guys next to them are doing.

In Riveras press conference he admired the way Rodgers and his receivers could look at each other, nod and know they are on the same page. o lines need that same type of communication

I think that is his gift and curse. I really dont think his players will ever quit on him for that fact but he really does put too much stock in jag players. On the flip side really what other choice has he had since he took over the job with Hurney at the helm. We saw a team last year that played hard and grinded out games. Was that Rivera, Or the players, or Both? Really thats the question when moving forward.

Once Hurney's contracts are off the books, we'll be in better shape to go after better players.

At that point, do you still believe in Rivera as the guy to lead them?

The team was terrible at the start of last year until Rivera's job was in jeopardy. That's when we turned things around. Now after the extension, he's back to the old Rivera. I think he should be fired if the only thing that motivates him is having his job on the line.

Im not saying your wrong, he def has seemed like OLD Ron out there this year. Still if thats the case you know DG is licking his chops because he can get his own coach and Rivera will hang himself.

I think Rivera lost this team this year when the team bailed on Hardy and didn't have his back, to be honest.  Watching this team, watching guys like Davis, and CJ, look complete opposites from last year, I'm not sure they care too much about Rivera.

Or they are just not as good as last year. We have glaring holes where there were none last year.

I'm honestly more prone to blame the coaches, even if it's a talent failure.

Rivera is just not a good talent evaluator. He puts entirely too much faith in guys like Byron Bell and Captain Munnerlyn. Much as I love guys who are all hard work and give 110% on every play, sometimes they're just not good enough.

Captain Munnerlyn would be the best corner on this team right now and it ain't even close

The team didn't bail on Hardy.

It was made quite clear in the presser that suspension was not an option for them.  They planned to keep him pending trial.

The NFL forced their hand because of the PR debacle surrounding Ray Rice.

Hardy was sacrificed to protect the NFL's image.  It wasn't the Panthers' idea.

In this case the coaches. I watch the panthers and sometimes I think what is our gameplan for this team?

I think offensively and defensively week to week we have one way of playing and unless we're getting destroyed, we stay the same

Nail on head my friend. But when you get down 21-0 in a matter of minutes, your game plan goes bye bye

You haven't watched the Vikings play this year, have you?

Munnerlyn could be a half-decent nickel back, but Rivera believed he could be a starter.

Stop bringing up how players played on other teams, he did well in this system, so did Mitchell. It's not Captains fault he was often the best we had at corner. Captain made big plays, routinely. Key sack, pick six, stripped fumble, you name it. No playmakers in this defense.

The team didn't bail on Hardy.

It was made quite clear in the presser that suspension was not an option for them.  They planned to keep him pending trial.

The NFL forced their hand because of the PR debacle surrounding Ray Rice.

Hardy was sacrificed to protect the NFL's image.  It wasn't the Panthers' idea.

The Panthers could have stood with Hardy like the 49ers have with McDonald, is all I am saying.  The players know this as well.  Especially after the team said they had his back, then bent to pressure.

I think in some spots it is simply lack of talent.

You can say, well our OTs didn't get physically whipped on a play and it was more mental (therefore it is coaching).....but I think ultimately it is they have no business being on a football field to begin with.

Talent issue mostly. Same with the secondary. They simply shouldn't be starting. No amount of coaching is going to make them starting NFL players.

There are some legit coaching issues right now. The fact they are playing with 4 starters on the OL that shouldn't be on the field and an entire secondary that shouldn't is a talent issue.

Running plays that don't work. Basic gap assignments. Game management. Coaching staff definately could do better......not sure they have the talent to be anyrhing but .500. They are forced to put too much on the shoulders of too few.

When a teacher can't manage the last two minutes of class, I blame the teacher 

When a teacher continuously fails to appropriately challenge wrong/right answer's, I blame the teacher. 

When a student gets kicked out of class for clearly inappropriate reasons and the the teacher doesn't stand up for the student, I blame the teacher. 

When the kids are acting up and the teacher does nothing to change the behavior besides stand there stoned faced, I blame the teacher. 

Stop bringing up how players played on other teams, he did well in this system, so did Mitchell. It's not Captains fault he was often the best we had at corner. Captain made big plays, routinely. Key sack, pick six, stripped fumble, you name it. No playmakers in this defense.

I'd love to have kept Captain as a nickel, but not as a starter and not for what the Vikes paid him.

But again, he was mismanaged, as were/are Byron Bell, Nate Chandler, Charles Godfrey, Sione Fua, arguably Melvin White and others.

Once Hurney's contracts are off the books, we'll be in better shape to go after better players.

At that point, do you still believe in Rivera as the guy to lead them?

He took in a bunch of other teams outcasts and made it to 10 wins last year. So Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he had to start all over this year. I think you give him good players and he will give you a good defense, on the other side of the ball he just needs a better OC. Hopefully he will see that at some point because it may make or break him.

Archived