• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When a student fails, do you blame the teacher?

Jeremy Igo

I agree that most were overpaid. But it does show that Rivera wasn't as comfortable with the guys he had, but was forced to roll with them because of the cap implications. It's a good thing we have been hitting on some players in the draft or we would be in deep poo.

My read is that Gettleman wasn't as sold on guys like Bell and Godfrey, but he deferred to Rivera.

It's all perception though.  Supported, I think, by the narrative, but still just perception.

The secondary is a different story. The coaching looks fine there, guys understand their roles. They are just far to slow to execute and can't tackle.

Took the words out of my mouth.  Wilks is a very talented guy, who I believe could be the next DC.  He can't do too much with the talent given him, as they are normally good on assignments, but very slow.  I agree that our o-line may not be the most talented, but they should, at the very least, be able to consistently be on assignment.  People will obviously screw up, but shouldn't be at the rate our guys are.  That's a huge problem.

I'm honestly more prone to blame the coaches, even if it's a talent failure.

Rivera is just not a good talent evaluator.  He puts entirely too much faith in guys like Byron Bell and Captain Munnerlyn.  Much as I love guys who are all hard work and give 110% on every play, sometimes they're just not good enough.

Rivera is one of the best defensive schemers in the league.  Nobody's done a better job of shutting down guys like Peyton Manning as a DC.

I'm not sure he's head coach material though.  I've begun to think last year was an aberration.

Rivera is in charge of setting the depth chart, deciding who starts and who sits on gameday, etc.

Gettleman has also said that roster decisions - and even draft and free agent decisions - are a collaborative effort.  He believes in an 'inclusive' approach and takes input from Rivera before making any decision.

This, I believe, is a big reason why we rolled with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler.  Also why Charles Godfrey is still on the team.

HOly poo I'm agreeing with everything Mr.Scott is saying.

Wow, this is a heavy subject.  So much must go into the details.  It can be both ways.  If you have a bad student you will have a bad or mediocre success.  If you have a bad teacher you will not fair well either.  I believe the biggest problem we have is the cap.  Hurney did not do us any favors by the heavy contracts he gave out.  That is hurting because we can't sign the best.

Rivera is the head coach and the buck stops with him.  However you also have to understand that he doesn't always get the coach he would like.  McDermott and Shula have their ups and downs but there are other coaches that need to be called on the carpet too.

Rivera is doing well overall and I believe once we can straighen out the cap and get the players developed, things will work out.  I think Zod said it best in another post about the players not doing all they can.  Kleins uniform tells a big story when all others around him look starched and pressed.

I can't help but to understand that Ron is never going to be able to maximize the talent we have. We simply don't have the personnel to run a power running offense. Not a lot of teams actually do, but our steadfast refusal to acknowledge it and make strategic adjustments is really fuging annoying.

But the normal variance of our 1 winning season out of 5 years is enough for Richardson to seal Ron's status for the next few years so no matter what we're probably stuck with him at least for 2015

Speaking of teaching. What is being noticed in the struggles vs the 3-4 as opposed to the 4-3?

That has to be coaching.

You know what I find really odd about that?

Rivera has coached a 3-4, and made it the top unit in the league as I recall, even though 3-4 wasn't his thing.

You'd think he'd have some good ideas how to defend one.

Archived