• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When a student fails, do you blame the teacher?

Jeremy Igo

Collaborative*** As long as it's low cost free agents, he can pick a guy. We had interest in Anthony Collins and Eugene Monroe. We wanted to keep Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, and Ted Ginn. None of those things happened. At that point it isn't a coaching failure, it's the front office crippling the coaches.

To a point.

I wouldn't have kept any of those guys for the salary they got paid elsewhere even if we didn't have cap issues, but we did have issues, major ones.  And the big reason we have them is because the last GM was willing to overpay.

And yes, we had interest in some free agents.  What we didn't have was money.  Nor did any of the top tackles fall to us in the draft.

There are definitely front office decisions I disagree with from this past offseason, but I think most of them trace to Rivera's belief that guys who try really really hard are better than they truly are.

Like I said, world class game planner, not so hot as a roster builder.

So how about firing Matsko, promoting Ray Brown, and sending a message to the other coaches that heads are going to start rolling if the players keep making mental mistakes?

I'd fire the secondary coach before offensive line. Offensive line has been ok the past two weeks and that is saying something with the group we put on the field.

My wife's a teacher and I can say without a doubt that these days when a student fails the teacher gets most of the blame. Whether from parents, administrators, politicians or most anybody else, if you have kids not learning something or a "bad" school, its always the teachers, never the student.

So how about firing Matsko, promoting Ray Brown, and sending a message to the other coaches that heads are going to start rolling if the players keep making mental mistakes?

I don't know that it helps if the problem starts with Rivera.

Admittedly though, I've never been that big a fan of Matsko, so I wouldn't scream if that happened.

Depends.

If Matsko was a strong proponent of starting Bell and Chandler and convinced the front office they could get the job done, then yes, he should probably go. If however, he was told to work with what he had, then it's not his fault he can't make chicken soup.

I'd fire the secondary coach before offensive line. Offensive line has been ok the past two weeks and that is saying something with the group we put on the field.

Steve Wilks is the guy Rivera really wanted for his DC but the Chargers wouldn't let him interview.

Would be surprised if he gets fired, warranted or not.

Steve Wilks is the guy Rivera really wanted for his DC but the Chargers wouldn't let him interview.

Would be surprised if he gets fired, warranted or not.

The secondary is a different story. The coaching looks fine there, guys understand their roles. They are just far to slow to execute and can't tackle.

Looking at the Oline problems I think this move is overdue.  Silatolu can't quick set to save his life.  Bell consistently uses bad technique with speed rushers.  Chandler gets thrown on his back 3 times a game because his base is never parallel and he never fully extends his arms even with contact on the defender.

It won't happen unless Riveras job feels threatened though... unfortunately.

To a point.

I wouldn't have kept any of those guys for the salary they got paid elsewhere even if we didn't have cap issues, but we did have issues, major ones. And the big reason we have them is because the last GM was willing to overpay.

And yes, we had interest in some free agents. What we didn't have was money. Nor did any of the top tackles fall to us in the draft.

There are definitely front office decisions I disagree with from this past offseason, but I think most of them trace to Rivera's belief that guys who try really really hard are better than they truly are.

Like I said, world class game planner, not so hot as a roster builder.

I agree that most were overpaid. But it does show that Rivera wasn't as comfortable with the guys he had, but was forced to roll with them because of the cap implications. It's a good thing we have been hitting on some players in the draft or we would be in deep poo.

The secondary is a different story. The coaching looks fine there, guys understand their roles. They are just far to slow to execute and can't tackle.

Said it elsewhere: We signed smart, veteran guys this offseason because we believed we'd have a dominant pass rush.  If we still did, guys like Harper and DeCoud would be ideal back there.

Since the pass rush isn't there, their athletic limitations are now a major issue.

Archived