• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When a student fails, do you blame the teacher?

Jeremy Igo

I've thought about asking before but what exactly is the ratio of "class time" to actual practice?

I know the new CBA limited contact to a specific degree in practice, but does the CBA also place limits on class time during the week?

It does place limits on the time required at work, but I am not sure of the exact amount of time.

That said, any player can optionally spend extra time studying without penalty. I hear Cam and Luke both are the longer film room attendees.

More times than not, the failings of the offense aren't at the hands of less physical talent, surprisingly. There are more missed assignments than physical mistakes. And not just small things either. Like when Clay Matthews lines up on the line and Nate Chandler does not even consider blocking him before he gets to J-Stew in the backfield. This is just a complete misunderstanding of what he should do out there, start to finish.

I'm not sure I agree, haven't re-watched the full game but from memory Matthews and Peppers just bull-rushed Bell and Chandler for most of the pressure generation in the 1st Quarter. Straight up trucked them. 

In the case of the tackles, I'm with Scott. I think Matzko (spelling?) and Rivera were overconfident Bell and Chandler could get the job done. I like Chandler and he's a great story, but at this point he is not ready to be a starter in this league. Starting Bell at LT is equivalent to trying to draw one card to fill out a straight. More times than not, you are going to get burned.

But to the original question, I've had teachers and mentors throughout my life on both ends of the spectrum. Some knew how to get my best. Some frankly turned me off and got much less than my best. Coaches make a huge difference, but you still have to have some necessary level of talent or even the best coaching will fail.

I've thought about asking before but what exactly is the ratio of "class time" to actual practice?

I know the new CBA limited contact to a specific degree in practice, but does the CBA also place limits on class time during the week?

I think the last CBA did more to degrade the quality of football we're seeing on the field than anything else has in years.

I'm not sure I agree, haven't re-watched the full game but from memory Matthews and Peppers just bull-rushed Bell and Chandler for most of the pressure generation in the 1st Quarter. Straight up trucked them. 

I didn't say there were no physical failings. I said more often than not they were mental.

In the case of the tackles, I'm with Scott. I think Matzko (spelling?) and Rivera were overconfident Bell and Chandler could get the job done. I like Chandler and he's a great story, but at this point he is not ready to be a starter in this league. Starting Bell at LT is equivalent to trying to draw one card to fill out a straight. More times than not, you are going to get burned.

Good analogy.

Coaches are to blame.

The reason is because it's a team-wide issue.  There is no discipline on either side.  That doesn't just happen because he has a few bad new players.   You have Thomas Davis out there doing stupid stuff, I mean come on.   Twelve men on the field penalities, taking FOREVER to get play calls in, etc.   We basically have Fox again because vets like Cason and Harper can just completely suck and have no fear of losing their starting job (obviously).

Rivera is in charge of setting the depth chart, deciding who starts and who sits on gameday, etc.

Gettleman has also said that roster decisions - and even draft and free agent decisions - are a collaborative effort. He believes in an 'inclusive' approach and takes input from Rivera before making any decision.

This, I believe, is a big reason why we rolled with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler. Also why Charles Godfrey is still on the team.

Collaborative*** As long as it's low cost free agents, he can pick a guy. We had interest in Anthony Collins and Eugene Monroe. We wanted to keep Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, and Ted Ginn. None of those things happened. At that point it isn't a coaching failure, it's the front office crippling the coaches.

Definitely coaches on the only good first half drive we went to Olsen three straight times and the following three plays had Olsen on the field but out of the play we got lucky on an illegal contact and got a first down but it was clear someone didn't know what they're doing (shula)

Kind of depends for me.

Not staying in your gaps (entire team is doing this).  player fault.

Not picking up your blocking assigments on shifts (entire Oline guilty of this)   player fault

Offside Penalties? Especially after you spent the week specifically practicing this!!!!  Player fault.

Missing tackles?  Player fault.

Bad angles?  Player fault.

Coaches fault?

Putting Godfrey in the slot when everyone and I do mean everyone knows he is going to be abused is a disservice to the team and to Godfrey.  Coaches fault.

Not exploiting our mismatches until the other team does something to stop it?  Olsen is a mismatch every week and we don't exploit it nearly enough imo. Coaches fault.

Archived