• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts from Green Bay

Jeremy Igo

Visiting Lambeau Field is more than a typical football trip. It is better compared to a pilgrimage for anyone that has been a fan of the NFL since childhood. Even NFL players, who are typically jaded to such things, found it special. Many of the Panthers were taking selfies of themselves on the field before warmups.

After taking it all in, I can tell you that Green Bay just has it right.

2014-10-19_09.jpg

When I say Green Bay, I am referring to the organization and the fans. Both were equally as impressive to this visiting member of the media. If i could choose to model the Panthers game day experience after another NFL franchise, it would be the Packers.

From an organizational standpoint, the stadium was well organized. Instructions within the stadium to media work rooms, rest rooms, interview rooms, etc were clearly visible via large signs. Contrast to other  team stadiums where it can take me half an hour and asking a dozen employees who were also unaware of where these things are. Everything from start to finish in Lambeau was efficient.

The gameday staff was the friendliest I have come across. Everyone from the security to the local media. I had a nice conversation with a security member who reminisced about being at the ice bowl as a rookie cop and where he stood.

The Wisconsin marching band warmed the crowd up, and by the way, the crowd was at capacity before kickoff. You never see that at Bank of America Stadium. The marching band was a great touch, it gave the game a more college feel and helped excite the crowd. The Panthers should look into this instead of having small name bands warm up the crowd.

Speaking of fans, the crowd at Bank of America Stadium could learn a lot from them. Loud on defense, quiet on offense. Energetic and passionate, but never obscene towards the opponent. The worst thing I heard all day from the crowd was a "you suck" but it was directed at a Packers player for missing an assignment. I can't repeat things I have heard in Atlanta or New Orleans.

The Panthers fan base is still very young. As it matures it should model the Packers fan base than the fan base of teams like the Eagles. The polite yet passionate mentality would fit our southern sensibilities nicely.

Overall, I can say I was more impressed with Green Bay than any other away NFL venue I have visited.

Plus, they had fresh popcorn waiting for the media after the game for the hours we spend working once the crowd leaves.

Fresh. Hot. Popcorn.

post-1-0-68203200-1413806504_thumb.jpg

Impressive indeed.

post-1-0-68203200-1413806504_thumb.jpg

That's what you get when your fanbase is literally invested in the team. The tickets are apparently darn near impossible to obtain.

According to wikipedia (its on the web so it must be true) "The Green Bay Packers have the most famous waiting list, with more than 111,072 names. This would mean a name placed on the list today would be eligible for season tickets in 955 years. It is a common custom in Green Bay and other Wisconsin cities to put a baby's name on the list as soon as the birth certificate is obtained.Transfer of standing to surviving relatives is permitted by the Packers. The Packers front office tell fans the wait will be for 30 years."

We still have too many corporate stiffs and wine and cheesers in the crowd that appear to be there to be seen, not heard. Many of us Panthers fans have the passion and are emotionally and financially invested in our team, but we can't hold a candle to GB's history. I hope we get there, but until the crowd shifts from chardonnay to PBR, we will continue the reputation we have. 

If i could choose to model the Panthers game day experience after another NFL franchise, it would be the Packers.

I guess we need to start eating more cheese.

Green Bay and the Packers are unique. Say Green Bay and you think Packers first time, every time. Can't duplicate but we can emulate. 

Don't forget their history of excellence on the field.  That makes a difference also.  It's a very well-run organization.  

It's a large town.  The whole metro area has around 300,000 people, with the city having around 100,000.  Most are all-in on the Packers.

Archived