• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why winning the NFCS is so important

teeray

Well you keep playing to win because you hope something clicks. You hope you find a formula that works. Maybe a guy gets healthy and surprises us with good performances. 

But just looking at the state of this team now. This doesn't look like a team capable of accomplishing anything. Our defense is broken unless we make personnel moves. We haven't played well on defense since week 2. Something has to change. 

Very well written and I agree, most on here bashed Rivera for playing for the tie last week instead of the win, as evidenced today and contrary to popular belief that "Cam is superman, just put the ball in his hands and he will magicially convert for a first down." If we lost against the Bengals, we would be 3-4 right now which is huge.

Well you keep playing to win because you hope something clicks. You hope you find a formula that works. Maybe a guy gets healthy and surprises us with good performances. 

But just looking at the state of this team now. This doesn't look like a team capable of accomplishing anything. Our defense is broken unless we make personnel moves. We haven't played well on defense since week 2. Something has to change. 

You may be right

But a team that gave up 35 points or more 4 times in 6 games and just got beat by 28, 21, and 40 points, do you think other people or their fans were thinking they were a team capable of accomplishing anything?

Like I said, maybe we get blown out.  Or maybe something clicks.  But you don't know until you get there, and once you get there anything can happen.

Losing by 21 to the Packers in October won't mean poo anymore

Look, getting your ass kicked is not fun, and it raises a lot of doubts about your team. I get it, I am concerned too.

Inevitably you get the silly sentiment of "Who cares if we win the NFCS if we just going to get your ass kicked anyway in the playoffs"

I have referenced in other threads the 2011 Giants as a team that limped into the playoffs playing in a weak division, and managed to win a Super Bowl

The first round they played a Falcons team that was probably better than they were, and were 6-2 at home but only 4-4 on the road. Even though the Falcons were a better team with a better record they had to go to the Giants home field and ended up getting smoked 24-2. That win injected a team that hadn't been past the divisional round of the playoffs in three year a shot of confidence that it road all the way to a Super Bowls championship (although in fairness the last time they made it past the divisional round before that they won the SB)

That was the same Giants team that got smoked by the 5-11 Redskins in what was thought to be must win for them, that led to boos and the infamous "Eli the Terrible" headline in the New York Post

But... There is an even more apropos example of why winning the division, even a crappy division is important, and can help you significantly get where you want to go.

The 2008 Arizona Cardinals. The Cards that year lost 4 of their last 6 games that season. Here were the scores of those 4 losses:

Giants 39-29

Eagles 48-20

Vikings 35-14

Patriots 47-7

They still won the pooty (at that time) NFC West division

Here were the final standings:

Cardinals: 9-7

Niners: 7-9

Seahawks: 4-12

Rams: 2-14

Just a no good, terrible, very bad division

Ironically, they also played the Atlanta Falcons in the divisional round. The Falcons were a better team, and finished 11-5. The Falcons were also a stout 7-1 at home. But since Arizona won their division, the Falcons had to travel out to Arizona and Zona got the win 30-24.

The next game Zona came out to our own Carolina Panthers home here in Charlotte. Jake imploded. All I really want to say about that.

Here is the thing. In the NFC championship game they played the playoff wild card team Philadelphia Eagles. A team that had played them just a few weeks before in the year in Philly and they beat Zona 48-20.

BUT because Zona won their division, this game wasn't in Philly. It was in the desert. Arizona got their revenge on their home field 32-25 and went to the SB.

In the SB against the Steelers they were a fumble returned 96 yards for a TD from winning that Super Bowl.

Who knows what is going to happen, who cares if you are in a pooty division. The first step is to win the division. After that anything can happen.

Maybe we get blown out in the first game. Fug it.

But maybe, just maybe, we get a home game for winning the division. Maybe we get a big win there and build some confidence and get on a roll at the right time.

But regardless, either way, don't tell me it doesn't matter if we win the NFCS. You can't win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs.

And if you make the playoffs, and win your division, ANYTHING can happen.

These two teams in the last 7 years prove it

/rant

. We have to win the division first which I'm not yet sold on. Even though the latter part of our schedule on paper seems to be easy or not as rigorous. It's not a given that we are going to beat those teams. We have giving up 37+ in the last 4 out of 5 games which has to be mind boggling. Yes of course I want our team to win the NFC South and make a run in the playoffs. But this team has yet to show me that they can stop a nosebleed and better yet protect our QB. This Sunday is a must win game. If things don't change ASAP our season could take a turn for the worse. Bet

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

. We have to win the division first which I'm not yet sold on. Even though the latter part of our schedule on paper seems to be easy or not as rigorous. It's not a given that we are going to beat those teams. We have giving up 37+ in the last 4 out of 5 games which has to be mind boggling. Yes of course I want our team to win the NFC South and make a run in the playoffs. But this team has yet to show me that they can stop a nosebleed and better yet protect our QB. This Sunday is a must win game. If things don't change ASAP our season could take a turn for the worse. Bet

True.  And we aren't playing great right now.

But I would rather be in division lead half way through the season than not, even if we are playing bad. 

Especially with the late manageable schedule.

True. And we aren't playing great right now.

But I would rather be in division lead half way through the season than not, even if we are playing bad.

Especially with the late manageable schedule.

I can agree with that. It's a must that we play better and it starts Sunday when we play Seattle.

It's important for us to win the NFC South for a few reasons:

1- it's Never been done before. Never

2- we have Never had back to back winning seasons

3- it's the first of many goals that this team has set out to accomplish. If they can win the Division, then they can win the Conference, and ultimately the Super Bowl

We just need to be playing our best ball and hit our stride at the right time. Obviously, we have a lot of work to do to get to that point, but it can happen. No matter how bleak current times seem to be. Just Keep Pounding. They don't say it for nothing

This isn't Hurney.

We went 12-4 and let everyone go. Gettleman understands the big picture.

So, what will it matter when the Panthers are 30 million under the cap when no one wants to deal with Gettleman?

The Panthers are currently 11.5 million under the cap. Not sure what that is going to do, when the current players want to go elsewhere.

Going to be there with the Jaguars and Browns. A ton of cap space and a GM no one wants to deal with makes for a murky future.

So, what will it matter when the Panthers are 30 million under the cap when no one wants to deal with Gettleman?

The Panthers are currently 11.5 million under the cap. Not sure what that is going to do, when the current players want to go elsewhere.

Going to be there with the Jaguars and Browns. A ton of cap space and a GM no one wants to deal with makes for a murky future.

He put a 13 million dollar franchise tag on Hardy. He's worked in the front office of a winning Giants organization. He is a businessman trying to run an organization. He's supposed to view everything objectively. Is he great in front of the media? No. But his job is not to coddle the fans. Keeping the fan favorites around for years cost Hurney his job.

We know nothing about Gettleman's abilities to spend because he has never had any legitimate cap space to go on the market and find the players he really wants.

Now 15-7 since he took over a team he can't overhaul.

I get what you're saying, but this was an incredibly disheartening loss.  The Packers are probably looking at a first round bye in the NFC (if they can hold off the Lions), and I much rather would have seen the Panthers leave Green Bay with a tough, hard fought loss than to just get absolutely obliterated.  

Hell, even the Jets were able to play a close game with the Packers at Lambeau.  This just shows the Panthers have a long way to go.  The season is not lost, but it's back to the drawing board, especially for the defense.  They aren't making the playoffs unless they make some big changes.  

Archived