• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Behind Enemy Lines - Packers

Jeremy Igo

Here are a few story lines from Green Bay that caught my attention....

Eddie Lacy shows pluses, minuses of big running back

Here, the Green Bay Packers live the pros and cons of the heavier alternative. Lacy, listed at a generous 230 pounds, was the 2013 offensive rookie of the year over Bell and Bernard. He's also averaging a meager 3.01 yards per carry in Green Bay's five games other than the Vikings.

After facing smaller faster running backs, the Panthers now take on a larger back. This may play into the Panthers defense. A larger, slower back is not going to break away for 87 yards and a touchdown as Gio Bernard did last week. The downside is more 3 or 4 yard runs may be more commonplace.

Packers sticking with punt return tandem

Micah Hyde isn't as fast or as quick as Randall Cobb and is a far bigger target for coverage units to hit.

But the Green Bay Packers safety has a career 12.3-yard punt return average, and returns of 17 and 24 yards last Sunday against Miami raised the question of whether he should be the full-time punt returner.

According to special teams coach Shawn Slocum, Hyde will continue to split time with Cobb on returns.

"In my mind, from a strategic standpoint, Randall brings a little bit different skill set to the table," Slocum said. "I think they're a good complement. And I think it can be an advantage for us as we go forward."

Hyde is the more reliable safe choice, and while Cobb hasn't looked great this year in punt returns he has gone the distance in years past. The Panthers could see both this Sunday.

Clay Matthew's struggles may be tied to read option

This season, he has just one sack, which is his lowest total in his first six games since he entered the NFL in 2009, and he is coming off a game against the Miami Dolphins in which the only statistic he registered was a pass breakup.

In three of their six games, they've seen a heavy dose of the read-option scheme, which most people around these parts associate with San Francisco and the confounding talents of quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Dating to their playoff loss to the 49ers in January 2013, the Packers have stumbled all over the scheme, and this season it has tripped them up at inopportune times.

Could be good news for Cam Newton and the Panthers who recently have started running a bit of read option again.

Yeh, we usually do well against bigger backs like Lynch vs. smaller backs like Spiller.

I do believe we should start out vs. Green Bay with some read option early. It will only take a few times being successful to open up some passing opportunities. Kaep threw for over 400 yards against them week 1 last year, the read option was a big reason why. IMO.

Archived