• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best/Worst Trades in Panthers history

Carl Spackler

Sean Gilbert is the worst.

A third and fourth rounder for Jeff Lewis comes in second.

A fifth rounder for Chris Harris is the best.

Close second might be trading down from the 14th pick in the 2007 draft to pick up John Beason and Ryan Kalil with an extra 2nd rounder.

EDIT: Panthro beat me by one minute

No brainer for the worst: Gilbert.

As for the best trades, one that goes unnoticed by a lot of fans is the trade, actually trades, that the Panthers pulled off in their 1st draft in 1995. Most of the players didn't work out for the long term but that was more of a scouting issue. The trades themselves, which involved no players just picks, were great and allowed the team the opportunity to have three 1st round picks that first year.

Gilbert was not a trade. Washington franchised him and we made an offer and they did not match. But yea, the Lewis trade was awful.

Everyone will say the trade for Chris Harris was the best and I can understand that but, if Jeffers would have been able to stay healty, giving up a 3rd for him may have turned out to be the best.

Gilbert has to be the worst!

I did like the Jenkins trade. We got a 3d a 5th (Godfrey and Barnidge respectively).

so far the Jenkins trade has been poor trade on our part. Neither of those picks have proven to be legit starters at this point......and we clearly missed Jenkins last year at DT.

so far the Jenkins trade has been poor trade on our part. Neither of those picks have proven to be legit starters at this point......and we clearly missed Jenkins last year at DT.

Godfrey not a legit starter? Please tell me that you're joking... He may have had some lapses as a rookie but he has a ton of potential, and is better suited forour new system anyways. Barnidge more than likely will end up our starter this year and by all accounts he if nothing else will be a big contributor in the passing game.

What the trade really did was let us go after Stew and Otah, because we had a lot of picks to work with via trade, so we wouldn't be almost entirely out of the draft after the first round.

Not horrible thought, but Jenkins wanted out, he didnt do much in 07 and found his niche at NT in the 3-4. Godfrey seems to have the potential to be a quality safety. With having Kemo and Lewis, needing help in our secondary, this trade was reasonable. Is it guaranteed Jenkins would have had a great season had he stayed with us last year? Who would be playing in that safety role. Let's wait two more years and see how the two players we got in the draft turn out. If it does work, their careers will have more years to go than Jenkins at this point.

By no means does it deserve to be considered one of our worst trades.

Godfrey not a legit starter? Please tell me that you're joking... He may have had some lapses as a rookie but he has a ton of potential, and is better suited forour new system anyways. Barnidge more than likely will end up our starter this year and by all accounts he if nothing else will be a big contributor in the passing game.

Jenkins was and is a top DT in this league. The proof is on the field.

Godfrey got abused last year....I can handle that b/c he was a rookie who was also playing a new position. Good year, is not a way describe what Godfrey's season was last year. Gary did nothing. So right now, neither are legit starters at their position b/c neither have put in a single solid year......now maybe the trade will end up looking good in the long run.....but as of today.....you can't classify that was one that has worked in our favor. Assumptions of what they will do don't matter until they actually perform. Someone said it was a good trade.....I was obviously pointing out we have seen nothing so far to rule it that way.

On top of all that, we also lacked exactly what Jenkins brought to the DT position last season.

Archived