• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the Cam Newton standard?

CelibatePimp

I'm glad someone finally pointed out that Luck isn't doing it all alone. The Colts have spent valuable resources (early picks, chunks of cap space) to surround Luck with weapons. Just because they haven't used those picks wisely doesn't mean they weren't trying to do it. 

The Panthers, on the other hand, seemingly decided to wait until this past season to finally upgrade Cam's weapons (Benji in the first, Turner in the 3rd), but it's still nothing compared to the resources invested by the Colts to augment Luck's offense.

So everyone has lionized Luck as the next legend, and criticized Cam Newton from day one and said that he's a fraud and won't pan out, and your standard for Newton is "Greatest of All-Time"?

People like you are the main problem.

My standard for Cam is not to overthrow most of his passes, to make smart plays, and not be the reason the team loses. If the other guys do their jobs, Cam can lead them to a Super Bowl. I just want to see him win one so ESPN can be told to kiss his @$$.

Season ticket holder from the beginning, wear my #1 jersey to games, scream my lungs out, and driving the Cam=GOAT bus. He's that good and we all have seen the progression. I even said Cam's passing=MJ's jumper before our head coach said it publicly. It doesn't get loftier but I have logical reasons for believing it and I'm a fan. I don't see the problem.

Cam Newton is playing the best football of his career. Newton got back to running against the Bengals, but it's his passing that has impressed me. He threw for 284 yards and two scores against the Bengals, while rushing for 107 and a touchdown. Newton is really playing at a high level.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24750654/monday-musings-tom-brady-makes-naysayers-look-foolish-lions-d-roars

Maybe his respect will come in the passing game, where he shows that he is reading defenses and making plays. The quote above is from Pete Prisco.

Have said before: Every quarterback in the league is overrated by most fans - including Peyton, Brady, Brees and yes, Newton - because the hype they get is so ridiculously over the top that anytime they aren't perfect, people go nuts.  The NFL itself has helped create this atmosphere with their marketing of QBs and things like the 'Quarterback Club'.

So you've got that as a starting point, but then you throw in a super-talented highlight reel machine like Newton and the expectations get even bigger.  Very few people have reasonable standards for quarterback play in general anymore, but yes, it will be worse for Newton because of his athleticism.

To be honest though, I doubt it matters to Newton or the Panthers.  They'll just keep doing what they're doing.

At first my standard for him was to just be good. And by that I mean he needed to be able to manage the game and make a play when we needed it.

Now, I fully expect him to be one of the best ever. Not because I just demand more but because he has shown me how good he can be. Now I want that.

At first my standard for him was to just be good. And by that I mean he needed to be able to manage the game and make a play when we needed it.

Now, I fully expect him to be one of the best ever. Not because I just demand more but because he has shown me how good he can be. Now I want that.

Exactly. We all want the ring in Charlotte and to simply enjoy watching football on Sundays, which we didn't have in 2010.

Although the GOAT is truly my expectation at this point anything less than a HOF career would simply be a major disappointment. Based on the given facts available, it would take something catastrophic for that not to happen at this point. JMO.

I have a pretty simple standard for Newton, Kuechly and every other player on the team.

Be good enough to help us win the Super Bowl.

Meet this standard and I'm happy.  Anything beyond that is gravy.

What is the Andrew Luck standard? Nobody had a higher standard set for him than that guy

the good thing for guys like Luck and Cam is that you get a head start with a lot of legitimacy built up by being a college Superstar, #1 overall pick, etc. Better than coming out of college being a nobody who was undrafted like Romo. If Romo had been a college Superstar, #1 overall pick, etc, he'd get a lot more hype in the NFL

Archived