• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the Bernard touchdown run

Jeremy Igo

I rarely comment on lack of holding calls, but yesterday was terrible. Maybe it was the white gloves on white jerseys, but it felt like the Bengals held egregiously every play, all the while refs only focused on defensive holding.

Look no further than the Seahawks-Cowboys game. Defenses are hamstrung this year while offensive lines pnly get called 5% of the time. To be fair, I wonder how much this has helped our O-line keep Cam alive.

But most Huddlers don't understand holding rules.

If holding is away from the play it isn't called (NFL rulebook).

In that picture the neck hold looks far enough out on the left end that it probably didn't affect the run. 

No call, if that was the referee's judgement.

You do realize Star was doubled all season last year, right? Lotululei this season is getting beat on one-on-ones. No excuses. Star is playing average to below average so far.

Not good for our defensive line.

Right. No Hardy AND double is worse than Hardy and a double but you're correct.

Have some of you even watched Pittsburgh this season? Mitchell has missed the most tackles on that defense. He also has the most holding penalties. Mike is getting close to being benched... and you guys still think he's a 'beast'?

I hear you and that's valid.

But I very clearly remember Mike Mitchell bringing Adrian Petersen down in the open field with one hand. Think about that for a minute... that never happens. 

I think Mitchell was comfortable in Carolina and this defensive scheme. They needed what he brought to the table and vice versa. Loss for both parties when he left, but of course $5 million a year makes it feel a lot better - for him at least. 

You do realize Star was doubled all season last year, right? Lotululei this season is getting beat on one-on-ones. No excuses. Star is playing average to below average so far.

Not good for our defensive line.

He's tired of playing next to bum ass Colin 

the defense has had more than enough breaking down this year.

even without hardy, there's no excusing it considering how good they have been the past couple years, esp. last year.

i can understand a little drop off, but not franchise-record bad.

When there's so many mistakes on one play, coaching needs to take blame as well. They lack discipline. They don't know where to go. They're just running around lost with no direction.

Bullshit. These guys are pros they know their assignments. They didn't execute and got burned. Nothing to do with coaching and discipline.

Archived